Victor FX-500 vs Atrio M5
Jul 10, 2008 at 1:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

momentary_lapse

Head-Fier
I posted another thread for Atrio vs SA6 and looks like Atrio won out.

What are the main differnces between the FX500 and the M5's. Looks like bass is less and isolation too. Is that true?

I like bass. the thumping kind which one can feel but not when it makes the music muddy.. i like brightness in the music but not so much that it fatigues me.

mostly i like to listen to rock (metallica, gnr, nirvana etc) but also party music wiht good beats..

which of these would one recommend and why?

Thanks in advance to all.

Jul 10, 2008 at 1:39 AM Post #2 of 13
Huh? The Atrio won out? Hey, it's your money, but having owned both, the Atrios absolutely do not win out. And I was a major Atrio fan. Just check the threads.

It's subjective, of course, but on balance, the Atrios really can't touch the SA6s. So if money is the issue, by all means, get the Atrios. But if better SQ, more balanced, more refined sound, is what you want, the Sleeks win out. Bass is fine, in fact, excellent. You might have missed it, but they Sleeks are being compared to the Shure SE530s and UE TF10s.

Jul 10, 2008 at 2:10 AM Post #3 of 13
tstarn06,

lol. i didnt expect that! but ok.. i agree the sleeks are bakc in contention esp with the price increase on the atrios..
smily_headphones1.gif

what about the fx500's? anyone use them and can speak to their performance?

Jul 10, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #4 of 13
I've owned both too and I'll take the SA6 in a landslide. I responded to your other thread and said based on your listening preferences that the Atrio would suit you better (the bass). But I don't think anyone would tell you the Atrio is a better headphone than the SA6.

Jul 10, 2008 at 12:28 PM Post #5 of 13
I have to agree as well with everyone else here. I also both, and while the Atrio's has superb bass reproduction, it's lacking in detail in the mid and high-end. I noticed this particularly after going from the SA6 back to the Atrio's, which I had used for over half a year without any issues. However, having heard the SA6s, which produces incredible detail WITHOUT sibilance (which was a key buying point for me with the Atrio), I would have to agree with tsarn that it's really hard to go back to the Atrio. However, I don't think I'll sell the Atrio (even after I send it back to Futuresonics for warranty replacement for the cables).

Jul 10, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #6 of 13
Saw your post on the Atrio v2. Ought to be interesting to hear them. Your bad cables turned out to be a stroke of luck. I toyed with keeping mine too, but just could not justify keeping them money wise, since I never used them after the SA6s arrived.

Jul 22, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #8 of 13
OK all.. i puleld the trigger and bought the fx500..

i've gpt mixed feelings.. i dont really know what to make of them.. the highs are nice and clear .. atrio has a warm overall sound . the bass is tight but not all around and all prevalent like atrio.. but then its not bad either..

i really dont know which one i like .. cant really make out.. will have to test this out for some more time and then see..

atrio does seem much more bass heavy.. .very warm sounding and all present..

anyone know what im talking about.. have you been through the same?

Jul 22, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #9 of 13
also.. audiophiles.. what kind of sound is better.? Is it jsut personal preference or should one train one's ear to a certain sound..?

I like the victor fx500.. but i like the atrio m5's too..
smily_headphones1.gif
help me make up my mind which one to sell lol

Jul 23, 2008 at 8:52 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by momentary_lapse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
also.. audiophiles.. what kind of sound is better.? Is it jsut personal preference or should one train one's ear to a certain sound..?

I like the victor fx500.. but i like the atrio m5's too..
smily_headphones1.gif
help me make up my mind which one to sell lol

I wouldn't call myself an audiophile... but...

I would say it is personal preference. Whatever makes your ears happiest.

If you try to get gear that other people is great and then try and 'train' youself to also think it is great then you might be missing out on something that you, personally, really love.

just my $0.02

Paul

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spadge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't call myself an audiophile... but...

I would say it is personal preference. Whatever makes your ears happiest.

If you try to get gear that other people is great and then try and 'train' youself to also think it is great then you might be missing out on something that you, personally, really love.

just my $0.02

Paul

Paul, I agree with you almost entirely, but I wanted to come at it from a different angle. Yes, it all comes down to personal preference in the end, but that doesn't mean we aspiring audiophiles don't strive to refine our tastes a bit. Most of us began this hobby with crap earbuds or $10 headphones. You listen to them long enough, that's what your used to. The first time you hear a true audiophile headphone, its quite a shock to the system (usually a very pleasant one), certainly something you have to get used to. Your ears aren't trained to pick up the nuances a high quality set provides. So, in the end, I would say this: Get your ears accustomed to listening to high quality headphones. Once your trained at the nuances, find a high quality unit who's sound signature you like. That's where the personal preference comes in. Training your ears to appreciate acoustic accuracy, is not a matter of preference.

Jul 23, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #12 of 13
I'm going to have to disagree with DARKHAVEN and would advise people who are sitting on the fence about upgrading to do the opposite! If you wish to please your wallet! =) But most people here would rather seem to please their ears! =p

I really believe ignorance is bliss. As was the case where I thoroughly enjoyed my EX71 before I lost myself to this forum in search of "the one" for me.

Jul 23, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by aBc.CaN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to have to disagree with DARKHAVEN and would advise people who are sitting on the fence about upgrading to do the opposite! If you wish to please your wallet! =) But most people here would rather seem to please their ears! =p

I really believe ignorance is bliss. As was the case where I thoroughly enjoyed my EX71 before I lost myself to this forum in search of "the one" for me.

I understand what you are saying, if you're happy with what you have, there's no need to do anything (unless you are a true Head-Fier, in which case you don't need to be unsatisfied to make expensive purchases...). What I was originally saying and stand behind, is there is a difference between personal preference for what audio signature you prefer and acoustic accuracy. The "ignorance is bliss" thing, may be very true, but it isn't adequate. If you are an aspiring audiophile, you want to hear more, experience more, become enlightened to the audio world and the heights that can be reached in audio fidelity. That would be the exact opposite of "ignorance is bliss." A true audiophile is very rarely (if ever) completely satisfied. For the casual listener, I'm sure ignorance is fine. Just my two cents. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back