Vibration Isolation for CD Players
Jun 5, 2004 at 8:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ipodstudio

Banned: - aka full monty - aka didikossa - aka R1D1 - aka migraineboy - aka setharmstrong - aka threavester - aka Sarah.B - aka javier - aka DoomV1 - aka JIAA
Just wanted to ask you guys what kind of vibration isolation you use for your setups? My Arcam's placed on my desk and will have to remain there for the near future, so I thought I'd buy some vibration dampening cones/feet.

Question: which ones would you recommend for my purpose?

For those who haven't seen it, here is a picture showing exactly how my rig is posisitioned:

the_rig_1.jpg

Jun 5, 2004 at 9:04 AM Post #2 of 12
I placed Vibrapods under my Arcam. When I had four number ones under it as recommended by Vibrapod's formula, I didn't notice any improvement. I added two more for a total of six and that seemed to help. The improvement was subtle, and more noticeable when running the speakers.

Jun 5, 2004 at 8:27 PM Post #3 of 12
I use vibrapods for my setup too. I did not notice any changes.

I do suggest you place your ppa on the empty space to the right of your CDs, no on top of your CDP.

Jun 5, 2004 at 8:29 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by tortie
I use vibrapods for my setup too. I did not notice any changes.

I do suggest you place your ppa on the empty space to the right of your CDs, no on top of your CDP.

Thanks for suggestions guys, I'll look at those.
wink.gif
Tortie, why would you place the amp to the side?

Jun 5, 2004 at 8:37 PM Post #5 of 12
I would think that the amp would help dampen the cd player
wink.gif
I am less inclined to believe that solid state equipment is affected by vibration to the same extent as something mechanical like a cd player
tongue.gif

Jun 5, 2004 at 8:51 PM Post #6 of 12
I have tried numerous brands of feet under my Arcam FMJ CD23T and very few of them made any difference. Those that did where two expensive to warrant the subtle improvents. The Arcam is well built and seems to do just fine with its own feet. I would also remove the amp from the top of the player. While added mass can provide an improvement I would not want a transformer sitting on top of my laser assembly. In my book stacking components is a bad idea.

Jun 5, 2004 at 9:46 PM Post #7 of 12
Actually, I just finished my first draft of my review of the Vibrapod Isolators and Cones. I am sending it to some of my trusted friends for peer review and I expect to publish my findings sometime on June 7th, 2004.

Jun 6, 2004 at 3:22 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
Thanks for suggestions guys, I'll look at those.
wink.gif
Tortie, why would you place the amp to the side?

With that current setup, you would need to get a different model of vibrapods for the right side of your CDP vs the left side because the weight would be uneven for both sides.

Its a personal call, but if I could avoid stacking components, I would.

Jun 6, 2004 at 8:30 AM Post #9 of 12
Hmm...I'll look into fitting a new shelf to the desk as I can do that cheaply myself. We'll see. Right now the whole system has just settled down nicely and the bass is now where I wanted it and envisaged it would be. There's so much details there now that I sometimes have to just leave my desk for a few mins and just close my eyes and just listen. Awesome!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 6, 2004 at 10:47 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
The desk looks solid enough, but is it?
Isolation won't help much if the base is shakey.

Nope, it's not overly solid, I was thinking that myself. When we move eventually I'll buy or make a rack for it to sit on and isolate it properly but for now this will have to work as best it can..
wink.gif

Jun 6, 2004 at 12:06 PM Post #12 of 12
Dont sweat it. My suggestions were made with the notion that you had somewhere else convenient to place your PPA. I would prefer to isolate components, but in your case its not that much of importance or difference that would warrant you to spend extra $$ on another rack
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back