Vibration damping: racquetballs instead of squash
Mar 18, 2006 at 11:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

redshifter

High Fidelity Gentility• redrum....I mean redshifter• Pee-pee. Hoo-hoo.• I ♥ Garfield
i went out to buy squash balls for new damping feet on my turntable. 3 stores and nobody had squash balls. finally i picked up a pack of wilson racquetballs. these should work fine, yes? also, any tips on cutting them cleanly? and, do i install them U (roundside down) or ∩ (roundside up)?

Mar 19, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #2 of 16
They should work fine, yes.

Tips: use a sharp exacto knife blade, do not cut against your thumb.

Mar 19, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk
They should work fine, yes.

Tips: use a sharp exacto knife blade, do not cut against your thumb.

thanks, peter.

do you know which direction is best for installation (see above)?

Mar 19, 2006 at 12:18 AM Post #4 of 16
I've always wondered how the more economical methods of vibration dampening (raquet balls, cork, etc...) would stack up against the pricier solutions...

redshifter, you should put your balls in a vice to keep them stable before cutting them in half
very_evil_smiley.gif

edit: I'd put them in the ∩ position, but that's just me. It seems like an easier way to install and position them too, unless you have the means to attach the ball to your amp/source in the U position.

Mar 19, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
I've always wondered how the more economical methods of vibration dampening (raquet balls, cork, etc...) would stack up against the pricier solutions...

redshifter, you should put your balls in a vice to keep them stable before cutting them in half
very_evil_smiley.gif

edit: I'd put them in the ∩ position, but that's just me. It seems like an easier way to install and position them too, unless you have the means to attach the ball to your amp/source in the U position.

well, i was going to use the budget modder's secret weapon, sticky-tack. so either way would work fine. is one way more efficient for damping vibration than the other?

Mar 19, 2006 at 12:26 AM Post #6 of 16
The only reason I'd imagine the U orientation might be better is because there is less surface area of the raquet balls touching the table. How that translates to better dampening is beyond me, because either way, you're still using a raquet ball
tongue.gif

Mar 19, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thaddy
The only reason I'd imagine the U orientation might be better is because there is less surface area of the raquet balls touching the table. How that translates to better dampening is beyond me, because either way, you're still using a raquet ball
tongue.gif

ok, that makes sense. thanks, i'm going to cut them now.

Mar 19, 2006 at 1:26 AM Post #9 of 16
I think I've seen those in BHD's pictures before, but I could be wrong. I'll bet you could make something like that really easy with some cork drink coasters and rubber from a, well...you know...something rubber
confused.gif

edit: I got it! Ikea sells cork heat pads (to put under hot serving dishes etc); stick some rubber pads underneath like the kind that come on the Gilmore Lite's and voila, home made vibration dampening.

Mar 19, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #11 of 16
okay, cutting the balls was no problem and installation was a snap. the tt has substantial tight spring to the base now. even tapping on the table causes no noise. after a few minor calibrations i'm spinning jamiroquai "dynomite" now and the bass sounds much more under control.

oh yeah, and i have one ball left to bounce off the wall. hurray!

Mar 19, 2006 at 6:50 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
do you know which direction is best for installation (see above)?

I don't think it matters. Whatever justification you use for putting the cut part against the player and the ball part against the table can be reversed. So I'd say whichever was easier. For example -- if you had screw-holes in the bottom of your CD player, you could drill holes in the bottom of the balls -- in that case, I would put them cut side down.

Mar 19, 2006 at 11:08 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

..."also, any tips on cutting them cleanly? and, do i install them U (roundside down) or ∩ (roundside up)?"

I suppose the choice is dependent on what you are looking at dampening.

As an example, my CDP is always benefiting from dampening. Regardless of table type, placing halved squash ball underneath all feet focuses the sound and the resolution increases. I place them in the U config, because I like to have as large dampening surface as possible on the CDP. If I thought other equipment negatively influenced the CDP, I would turn them ∩ in order to dampen the minute vibrations of the shelf.

Perhaps it doesn't matter really.
icon10.gif

Mar 19, 2006 at 3:30 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

okay, cutting the balls was no problem!

Quote:

oh yeah, and i have one ball left

There's something here that doesn't quite add up...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back