ViaBlue NF-S1 Silver Quattro XLR or Wireworld Equinox 8 XLR?
Oct 20, 2022 at 4:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

PieroIM

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone! I'm trying to decide between these two cables: I need to pair my DAC (SMSL D300) with the amplifier (SMSL HO200). I am not an expert on the subject and, to my surprise, I have found practically nothing about reviews or user impressions on those cables despite having searched the web and various forums for a long time.

Here my findings and subjective evaluations:

1) conductor material: OCC-7N Copper for the Equinox and "generic" OFC Copper for NF-S1. In this regard Wireworld cable seems better, although I think there is also to take into account gauge size: 24AWG for Equinox while I didn't found info for NF-S1

2) insulation & shields: polyethylene insulation + 2 silvered spiral shields + 2 ALU-PET foil shields for the NF-S1. Only "COMPOSILEX® 3" for the Equinox. Here it seems to me that ViaBlue cable offer the better protection: although Wireworld employs its own proprietary system, my subjective impression is that ViaBlue implementation is more "solid". I also found a couple of feedback by Wireworld cables users that said the cables sometimes suffered from interference, thus confirming my impression. Since I have a lot of computers and electronics devices all around, for me this is an important factor.

3) connectors: bronze, 24 carat real gold-plated for NF-S1. Silver-clad OFC for Equinox. Here, from my ignorant point of view, ViaBlue connector offer less performance/quality compared to the silver-clad OFC from Wireworld, BUT the gold plating guarantees practically unlimited duration, while the Wireworld cable plug could be subject to wear over time, for example by oxidation.

4) aesthetics: while I find ViaBlue cable to be gorgeous in every respect and conveys a sense of refinement, solidity and value, I find Wireworld cable absolutely UGLY...it also seems "cheap", both for the sleeving and the plugs (especially the plugs...)

5) price: here there is an absolute draw, as I can buy both cables for practically the same price, just under € 190.

Is there anyone who owns (has owned) at least one of these cables and can give me their impressions? Or someone who is able to provide me a technical opinion?

Thanks in advance!!!

Oct 20, 2022 at 5:31 AM Post #2 of 4
An important aspect would be how long the cables need to be, the longer, the more the interference protection should matter.
In addition this might be more relevant based on what else is near those cables, are you using shielded power cords? Volex makes very affordable and effective shielded ones, and I like the Wireworld Stratus 7 even better while having returned some other somewhat fancy audiophile ones. In one case it was supposedly shielded but a Trifield TF2 proved it as very weak.
However, the Stratus 7, due to its flat design and 12 AWG conductor size, is even less easy to move around than the somewhat stiff shielded 14 AWG Volex 17604/17605 cords (haven't tried their 16 and 18 AWG ones yet), but at least they start at 1 m while Volex only has 2 m and 3 m for their 14 AWG ones.

I have not heard the ViaBlue cable, but I really like the Wireworld Eclipse 8 XLR cables I have (one step up from the Equinox, basically just more of the same copper) and Equinox 8 RCA cables. Both are my favorite interconnects to date, though my experience with fancy ones is very limited. I did return an Audioquest RCA cable that I didn't like.

For what it's worth, here's how I described my comparison from a while back to another Head-Fier. In order of preference:

1. Wireworld Eclipse 8 (0.5 m)
  2. Blue Jeans Canare L-4E6S (1.5 ft)
  3. Lavricables Grand 20 Core Silver (0.5 m)
  4. Blue Jeans Belden 1800F (1.5 ft)
  5. Monoprice Stage Right Series (1.5 ft)
The Canare one surprised me. It gives me a lot of what I like about the Eclipse 8, that natural timbre and realism. But it is ever so slightly fuzzy around the edges, so to speak. The Eclipse 8 sounds more sophisticated, cleaner. But they are both very enjoyable.
The Lavricables one also surprised me because I thought it should be the best one, being pure silver and all, just like my headphone cable. It is resolving, but has some harshness to it and doesn't quite connect me to the music as much as the other two.
The Belden and Monoprice ones just sound basic. Sure, you can recognize the instruments and what not, but it's a lackluster experience. Just wanted to get it over with while the two top picks make me want to listen to just one more song.

Recently I got some 25 ft long Worlds Best Cable XLR cables (based on Mogami 2549 and using Neutrik connectors in this case) and was pleasantly surprised as well in a brief test.

Again, just sharing some thoughts for whatever it's worth.

You're right that the Equinox 8 cable doesn't look luxurious (based on the RCA version I have), but the dark gray insulation has a subtle sheen and metallic look to it that makes it seem like a quality product compared to more basic ones. The Eclipse 8 is a bit flashier. The Chroma 8 USB cables look much cheaper because of that aggressive yellow. 😅 Meanwhile I love the blue of the Stratus 7.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2022 at 6:13 AM Post #3 of 4
An important aspect would be how long the cables need to be, the longer, the more the interference protection should matter.
In addition this might be more relevant based on what else is near those cables, are you using shielded power cords? Volex makes very affordable and effective shielded ones, and I like the Wireworld Stratus 7 even better while having returned some other somewhat fancy audiophile ones. In one case it was supposedly shielded but a Trifield TF2 proved it as very weak.
However, the Stratus 7, due to its flat design and 12 AWG conductor size, is even less easy to move around than the somewhat stiff shielded 14 AWG Volex 17604/17605 cords (haven't tried their 16 and 18 AWG ones yet), but at least they start at 1 m while Volex only has 2 m and 3 m for their 14 AWG ones.

I have not heard the ViaBlue cable, but I really like the Wireworld Eclipse 8 XLR cables I have (one step up from the Equinox, basically just more of the same copper) and Equinox 8 RCA cables. Both are my favorite interconnects to date, though my experience with fancy ones is very limited. I did return an Audioquest RCA cable that I didn't like.

For what it's worth, here's how I described my comparison from a while back to another Head-Fier. In order of preference:

Recently I got some 25 ft long Worlds Best Cable XLR cables (based on Mogami 2549 and using Neutrik connectors in this case) and was pleasantly surprised as well in a brief test.

Again, just sharing some thoughts for whatever it's worth.

You're right that the Equinox 8 cable doesn't look luxurious (based on the RCA version I have), but the dark gray insulation has a subtle sheen and metallic look to it that makes it seem like a quality product compared to more basic ones. The Eclipse 8 is a bit flashier. The Chroma 8 USB cables look much cheaper because of that aggressive yellow. 😅 Meanwhile I love the blue of the Stratus 7.

Good luck!

First, let me thank you for the very detailed reply and technical explanation! :bow:
I don't need long cables, would like to do a stack type setup: I thought 50 cm should be more than enough.

Technically, it also seems to me that Wireworld cable is superior, my doubts mainly concern the effectiveness of the shielding and the aesthetics: I am not at all OCD regarding the latter, but an objectively "not so pretty" element stands out in a particular way where everything else is at least decent ...

Oct 20, 2022 at 6:38 AM Post #4 of 4
First, let me thank you for the very detailed reply and technical explanation! :bow:
I don't need long cables, would like to do a stack type setup: I thought 50 cm should be more than enough.
Makes sense, in that case shielding might not matter much at all (compared to having several meters of interconnect next power cords and such), nor is the quad architecture necessarily an asset, resulting in higher capacitance and such.
Of course ideally you just try both cables and hear for yourself which one you prefer, but if you can't return one (or both) without a juicy restocking fee, it's a cost issue.

Technically, it also seems to me that Wireworld cable is superior, my doubts mainly concern the effectiveness of the shielding and the aesthetics: I am not at all OCD regarding the latter, but an objectively "not so pretty" element stands out in a particular way where everything else is at least decent ...
To be frank next to the SMSL gear even the Equinox 8 will do just fine. 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back