VHP2+VAC1, X-can v8, GS solo, gs-1
May 26, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #2 of 15
I have no idea whether its (X-CAN v8) better than the others.

All I know... is... its great with the D5000s.

May 26, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have no idea whether its (X-CAN v8) better than the others.

All I know... is... its great with the D5000s.

is that a uncoloured amp as solo and gs-1?

May 26, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #4 of 15
Howdy;

I didn't vote..I have only heard one of the polled combinations. I use the CI gear with a Markl modded D5000, and it sounds great. It sounded even better when combined with the 840c as a source (compared to the CI DAC it now has). I think your D5000 will scale nicely as you upgrade. Pick an amp that strikes your fancy, and resell it if you find it lacking. I'd suggest a SS amp, simply because I think the other D5k threads say so. I wish I could comment with more authority, but the more I read here, the more humble I become.

Bazile

May 26, 2008 at 8:23 AM Post #5 of 15
How many people have heard them all? I think you can count em on 2 hands.

May 26, 2008 at 12:23 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bazile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Howdy;

I didn't vote..I have only heard one of the polled combinations. I use the CI gear with a Markl modded D5000, and it sounds great. It sounded even better when combined with the 840c as a source (compared to the CI DAC it now has). I think your D5000 will scale nicely as you upgrade. Pick an amp that strikes your fancy, and resell it if you find it lacking. I'd suggest a SS amp, simply because I think the other D5k threads say so. I wish I could comment with more authority, but the more I read here, the more humble I become.

Bazile

what's ss?

May 26, 2008 at 12:36 PM Post #7 of 15
SolidState

May 26, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ben9999imsc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is that a uncoloured amp as solo and gs-1?

It sounds similar to the Solo... but.. better.

I have no idea, whether anyone would consider it "colored," or not. I do know it has the same "rich" tone as the Solo... maybe a bit moreso. And... it drives the D5000s better than the Solo.

May 26, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

It sounds similar to the Solo... but.. better.

I have no idea, whether anyone would consider it "colored," or not. I do know it has the same "rich" tone as the Solo... maybe a bit moreso. And... it drives the D5000s better than the Solo.

how is v8 compare to vhp2?

Thx

May 26, 2008 at 5:08 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ben9999imsc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how is v8 compare to vhp2?

Thx

I don't know... haven't heard the VHP2.

But... I would expect it is much better - it has some tubes in the signal path and has no opamps.

May 26, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

I don't know... haven't heard the VHP2.

But... I would expect it is much better - it has some tubes in the signal path and has no opamps.

tube amp? would it not suitable for classical music?

May 28, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #14 of 15
I did not vote, although I have listened to all four amps two were at a meet and it is not a good place to form firm decissions at. However I have compared two of the amps extensively, the Green Solo and the VHP2.

The VHP2 had the VAC1 and it sounded freaking good. The Green Solo had the switching wallwart which according to Graham is all it needs. If so then I would choose the VHP2 w/ the VAC1.

I will go out on a limb and say that IMO the Octavart (01 Amp/Dac) is better and way cheaper. There I said it!

May 29, 2008 at 8:44 AM Post #15 of 15
Better than the VHP2 w/ VAC1? The octavart is really affordable
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back