VHF 1-Qubit DAC: How achievable, and what size market?
Aug 6, 2017 at 11:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

bcschmerker4

That's bcschmerker4® to you!
Classic digital-to-audio converters are a proven technology for audio, both in multi-bit form with sample frequencies in the tens to hundreds of kilohertz, and one-bit delta-sigma-algorithm-based form with switch frequencies in the low megahertz. The latter needs a pseudo-random switching to level out with no digital audio input to convert.

Recently I've read some articles on quantum computing, in which a digital transistor cell can be in one of four states from the mathematical perspective; the technology is being groomed for cryptography, fluid dynamics, and other mathematic and scientific tasks in which classic-computer calculations deviate from laboratory measurement on a consistent basis. I already see one possible application of quantum technology to audio in the form of a one-qubit digital-to-audio converter. The delta-sigma algorithm probably needs some modification for a transistor-pair output that can be tied to positive, tied to negative, or floating, as necessary to match the input data; this tri-state method should be ideal for driving balanced outputs, provided that both phases have identical complex impedances betwichst transistor pair and output-jack pin. With no input, both output transistor pairs on a balanced 1-qubit DAC can be floated. Switch frequencies should be in the low megahertz - in the ballpark of existing delta-sigma DACs - for adequate performance.

What experiments have been conducted toward achieving a quantum DAC? And what cost ballpark can be expected for a quantum DAC compatible with existing single-ended or balanced components? It is likely that the first production quantum DACs may be at summit-fi prices, but a cost-efficiency breakthrough might avail the technology to those of moderate means.

Aug 7, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #2 of 4
Recently I've read some articles on quantum computing, in which a digital transistor cell can be in one of four states from the mathematical perspective; the technology is being groomed for cryptography, fluid dynamics, and other mathematic and scientific tasks in which classic-computer calculations deviate from laboratory measurement on a consistent basis.

I'm not sure how that would be applicable to digital audio. As far as digital audio is concerned classic-computer calculations do not deviate from laboratory measurement. The sampling theorem provides results which are essentially always perfect and not particularly taxing computationally. There are numerous areas in the chain of music recording, production and re-production which are not perfect but this is due to acoustic and/or analogue limitations, not limitations or weaknesses in the computation required to convert digital data. And, modern DAC chips can accomplish this feat at a unit cost of just few bucks each. I can't personally see the point of achieving exactly the same end result with a quantum computer as can be achieved with a digital computer but for hundreds of times more cost ... but then again, quite a lot of the audiophile industry appears to exist on precisely that basis already, so what do I know?

G

Aug 13, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #4 of 4
Right now it is not feasible. Such and en devour would require technology that won't be there for another 20-30years at least, most notably cooling and shielding. For the quantum state to remain temperatures have to be pretty close to absolute zero and it has to be completely shielded off from outside world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back