Very weird MP3 quality tester
Aug 20, 2007 at 7:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Chris Tch

100+ Head-Fier
I built a simple CMoy amp a while back, and never actually soldered everything together. So tonight I plugged it in, and one of the terminals going to the headphone jack came loose, and the "center" channel was knocked out, sort of like if you don't plug the jack all the way in. However, I noticed something odd. When I played an mp3 at 128kbps, the artifacting was almost the only thing you could hear. 192kbps, when played normally, sounds pretty close or the same as the CD, or at least to me it does. However, with the jack messed up, I could still hear some artifacting. When compared to the same song at 320kbps or .wav, there was no artifacting at all. To me, though, connected properly, they sounded the same. Just thought it was interesting, and could be a way to tell if your music is encoded at high quality or not.
Edit: It also works just not plugging the jack in all the way too.

Aug 20, 2007 at 8:28 AM Post #2 of 7
I'm guessing that you're shorting the left or right channels, or using the right channel as a ground for the left, or something such. You'd probably get the "karaoke effect" that way.

It's interesting, and does give hints as to how MP3 does its magic. But of course you don't listen to MP3s like that (most of the time). The best way to evaluate MP3 compression is the same way you'd usually listen to it: normally
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 20, 2007 at 12:06 PM Post #3 of 7
Aug 20, 2007 at 12:18 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Calroth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's interesting, and does give hints as to how MP3 does its magic. But of course you don't listen to MP3s like that (most of the time). The best way to evaluate MP3 compression is the same way you'd usually listen to it: normally
smily_headphones1.gif

The best way is using a Spectral Analysis zoomed in.

Aug 20, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #5 of 7
I know it's harder to tell the difference when the actual music is playing as it should, but now it almost feels like I need to get all 320kbps mp3s now.
icon10.gif
That joint stereo article is interesting too. That could be a reason why I'm hearing it.

Aug 20, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #7 of 7
From the Wikipedia link above.

Quote:

Unlike intensity stereo coding, M/S coding is a special case of transform coding, and retains the audio perfectly without introducing artifacts. However, when used in conjunction with a lossy form of compression, artifacts can become apparent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back