Very, very basic question about DAC and amp connection.
Apr 25, 2016 at 9:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ymc226

Head-Fier
I am thinking of getting 2 different headphone amps on the same rack for listening variability.  Do I need a separate DAC for each amp?  

If I use my Mac mini /iTunes as the source connected to the DAC (either by USB or optical) can I hook up multiple output connections from the DAC's RCA (unbalanced) or XLR terminals to both amps?  Of course I would only turn on one amp at a time for listening.

Apr 25, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 5
You can get an audio switch box.
So the box would have one line-input (which would be connected to the DAC's line-output)
and several (2 or 3 or 4 or more) line-outputs, each output would be connected one headphone amplifier.

Here is one you could use, it's less then $6
It also comes with a yellow RCA ports, for video, which you do not need, just use the red and white RCA ports.
(guess you would need to buy extra cables for the connections)
http://www.amazon.com/Port-Selector-Switch-FREE-Cable/dp/B000FV8SLW/ref=sr_1_13?s=audio-video-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1461632972&sr=1-13&refinements=p_36%3A500-2500

Apr 25, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #4 of 5
You didn't give a budget for this.There are lots of ways you can go. 

Apr 25, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for all the quick replies.  I want to keep it as simple as possible without extra switches if possible.  Just cables from the separate outputs on the DAC to each amplifier.  

For example, the Schitt Yggy has 2 sets of unbalanced RCA outputs and 1 set of balanced XLR output so I could hook up to 3 separate amps.  

Besides budgeting for high end vs more conventional cables, would spending more on extra equipment improve the sound quality?  Not being an audiophile obviously, I figured having less connections/devices between the source to amplifier would allow for the highest quality.

You didn't give a budget for this.There are lots of ways you can go. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back