very unhappy: 3 defective mf-x components or not?
Jul 15, 2006 at 2:08 PM Post #16 of 31
lator, you have the x-can v3?

i noticed if i give the amp a little bump(harder than a nudge) it sometimes keeps humming untill i bump it again!

i need to hear from more people that actually have the amp if they get this type of response from it. the very slightest vibration causes microphonics.

malfunctioning and poorly designed are two different things. i need to figure out if i have to ship it beacuse it is heavy and expensive to ship. if they send me another one that does the same thing that will be a lot of money wasted!

pinkfloyd talking about the pcb's scorching and the caps drying out from heat is not great either. why doesnt something that gets this hot have vents? almost all solid state amps even have vents. maybe i should just ditch mf alltogether.

music_man.

Jul 15, 2006 at 3:04 PM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man

i noticed if i give the amp a little bump(harder than a nudge) it sometimes keeps humming untill i bump it again!

i need to hear from more people that actually have the amp if they get this type of response from it. the very slightest vibration causes microphonics.

malfunctioning and poorly designed are two different things. i need to figure out if i have to ship it beacuse it is heavy and expensive to ship. if they send me another one that does the same thing that will be a lot of money wasted!

pinkfloyd talking about the pcb's scorching and the caps drying out from heat is not great either. why doesnt something that gets this hot have vents? almost all solid state amps even have vents. maybe i should just ditch mf alltogether.

music_man.

I have the X-Can V3, no hum, poping sounds, etc. Very silent.

Vent are not needed, the heat sinks work very well.

DSCF3241.jpg

Jul 15, 2006 at 4:47 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

Well, I am not going to give my equipment any harder bumps than a nudge considering it has tubes. I have not had any kind of sound anomalies with my X-Can so far in a regular use.

Jul 15, 2006 at 5:24 PM Post #19 of 31
X-CAN V3 should not be microphonic, no way. Sounds like one of the valves needs replaced, don't worry this is not a common problem and replacing the valves will cure it. As your amp is brand new then MF (or your dealer) should replace the valves free of charge. It is very annoying and once you know you'll get ringing when you tap the enclosure you just can't stop yourself tapping it!

Don't let this minor gremlin put you off a very good amp. As I say it's "not" normal and your dealer should fit a new set of valves for you. You mention that the bolts are a bit "ragged"..... again, NOT normal..... they should be as clean as a whistle, get that amp back to the dealer ASAP.

All the best.

Mike.

Jul 16, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #20 of 31
thank you pinkfloyd.

that takes care of that. i tell the dealer to replace it. you know the box had three sets of clear tape on it? they sold me a used one i bet! i have had major problems with this dealer but i am not going to say who it is because i know many people have had good dealings with them.

actually, pinkfloyd, maybe this is a opportunity to get mullards?
first of all, is that problem definatly just the valves or could it be something else? second if i take it apart what should i look for to see if someone was inside there that did not know what they were doing and messed stuff up?

if i am really lucky maybe someone did your mods,did them right and then returned it. i figure it is worth opening for a look before i return it? i cannot possibly wreck the bolts more than they already are so the dealer will not know i opened it. besides i don't care. they actually screamed in my face when i asked for a price match and have sold me two used components passing them off as new!

thank you,
music_man

Jul 16, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #21 of 31
Not sure how your country works but down here I would be all over him and threatning to go to the ACCC. Our laws are in our favour and even if they were not I would not take it. Just because other people have good experience with them is no reason not to post your experience and the dealer name all over the internet
580smile.gif

We have a computer dealer down here GAMEDUDE ON THE SOUTHSIDE OF BRISBANE who are the dogiest dealers in the country, often not honoring warrenty or charging for warrenty claims. One of my screens died within a week and they refused to accept it back. So on a saturday morning i took the screen down and shouted at the manger infront of all the customers making it clear that they were not taking responsibility. When customers started walking out he gave me my warrenty fix. lol one disgruntled customer even hacked the site and filled it with ****
580smile.gif

There is no reason not to fight for a return, and in anyevent there is a good chance the dealer broke the law and knows it, selling you an item marked new which had been tampered with.

Jul 16, 2006 at 7:48 AM Post #22 of 31
i don't think this is off topic because it is in regard to why the unit is not working!

depending what the outcome is with them i will ask the mods if it is acceptable and post my experience and their bussiness name.

this will be after i go see what they will do.
i know they read this forum. so if do that first i will simply end up in court instead of getting a refund. it is easier to catch flies with honey than vinegar!

regardless, after the outcome, either way i will not shop there again and if it is alright with the mods here i will rat them out!

in my country you can actually get sued for bad mouthing a company! it is called defaming them. so i have to be carefull. aus. is much better i know.

i knew the tubes should not be microphonic out of the box. it is the tubes.
regardless of the units quality, new tubes are not microphonic!
they sold me an old used unit, it probably was on display in the showroom for 2 years then they needed money so they boxed it up.
but see you can not speculate like that unless you are sure because it can get you in big trouble here.

the fact that he yelled in my face so hard i got spit on when i asked for a price match, i should have walked out right then. but no, i am stupid so i bought over 2 grand of stuff from those jerks!
that is sort of my own fault for taking that abuse.

music_man

Jul 16, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #23 of 31
That dealer sucks big time. I bet if you got in touch with the Music Fidelity Representative in the USA and brought him/her up to speed with your experience they would make things go smoother. If not go to the BBB.

Jul 16, 2006 at 8:05 PM Post #24 of 31
i am actually pretty mad at the dealer and not at mf. i am sorry mf. even if it was bad directly from mf, they were nice and offered me a replacement.

i do not want to say who the dealer is untill i straighten this out with them and maybe not even then. i am pretty sure people here have had good experiences with them. just like you can get a bad product the salesman/woman can have a bad day.

the dealer should replace a new unit. it is expensive to ship it. so i will see how it goes.

music_man

Jul 17, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #26 of 31
Defaming and posting experiences are a whole different cup of tea.

Jul 17, 2006 at 11:30 AM Post #27 of 31
I have an XCANS V2 which developed a fault. When it was switched off it gave an ear piercing shriek through one channel(and one ear of course). Turned out to be a faulty valve. I replaced both and it is fine now. If you're going to have your ears pierced you should have local anasthetic first !

You should also check that the solder joints on the phono sockets aren't broken as this means hum/buzzing noise. I have a few X-Ponents and this has happened on two of them. If the V3 has sockets soldered to the circuit boeard it is worth checking.

Jul 17, 2006 at 2:27 PM Post #28 of 31
i have been reading many forums. there are several reports of the same problem i have with the x-can. most peoples are fine however. there are also several reports of a humming x-psu. then there are quite a few reports of the x-dac not liking other components to which it would be hooked via either spdif or toslink. mf actually mentioned that it going haywire when it locks/ unlocks for 2 seconds is not considered a flaw! i thought this was really high end stuff. i am sorry if someone gets mad that i may be bashing them.
this is my experience and it has been a few others. in general the units work fine. the problem is pretty much as the gentleman at mf told me. they are made by process(automated) in taiwan and simply tested by a machine for signal pass before leaving the factory. you can get bad x-ponents once in a while. not too often though. i was just one of the unlucky ones. i have also read of mf and signal path repacking used gear that was rma'd and sending it back to dealers for new sale. that is probably what happened to me.

for the way that they state this stuff is the best money can buy. the fact that it is not cheap. the fact you can buy similar components made in china or taiwan directly from smaller manufacturers for a fraction of the price....

to me it is too expensive. that is my personal feeling. if you could buy a new car at one dealer for $25,000 and the same exact new car at another dealer for $20,000 which would you do?

i am sure that a zhalou 2.0 with headamp would make me happier. i don't know if it sounds better or is built better but it is close and it is not $2,000!

look, whatever the price is you should at least expect new working units.
apparently the used being sold as new is not the dealers. they rma something and get it right back!

i want to know where ciaudio is made and if by hand. their dac is not upsampling though.

looking at the inside of the mf components as everyone knows the parts are the lowest grade available. this is why pinkfloyd started upgrading them!

i have become aware that mf makes a 50%+ profit on each unit sold. there are other choices where your money can go further. i say this is not "the best in the world".

i am not bashing them. i am voicing my personal beleifs and experiences.
ymmv.

i did not personally like the sound of the k701 and found them not to "appear" to be the physical quality of the k240. however, i have a lot of faith in akg they are made in austria by skilled labor. i respect companies that do not simply go looking for the cheapest labor and then quality control starts declining.

how is mf any different than behringer pro-audio? look at the price of behringer. that is where mf should be.

if they used higher spec components made by hand in england(where they are located) and sold for same price it would be a bargain isntead of a potential ripoff! oh, of course than it would have to be a million dollars.
otherwise i find it to be a very nice little circuit topology.

music_man

Jul 18, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #29 of 31
they have been returned. the dealer was actually quite nice this time. like i suspected, that particular salesman must have just had a bad day. it happens. so i will not rat them out because i do not think that one instance is indicative of how they normally operate. many people here have had good experiences with this dealer.

as far as the mf stuff is concerned i feel it is overpriced. it is not junk as i said. i just think the units are worth half their retail price.

music_man

Jul 18, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

they have been returned. the dealer was actually quite nice this time. like i suspected, that particular salesman must have just had a bad day. it happens. so i will not rat them out because i do not think that one instance is indicative of how they normally operate. many people here have had good experiences with this dealer.

as far as the mf stuff is concerned i feel it is overpriced. it is not junk as i said. i just think the units are worth half their retail price.

music_man

It's like Grados RA1 amp. The components used are not top notch by far but the sound with Grado phones is amazingly good. In hifi more expensive equipment does not always mean better sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back