VERY SPECIFIC Headphone Amp Recommendations?
Nov 20, 2023 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

stodgers

New Head-Fier
I'll put the specs up front, because I know people often jump to recos without even reading them - I appreciate the passion. :)
  1. Must have ability to record output via dedicated output: RCA, 3.5mm, or USB
  2. Must have 3 minimum inputs - phono, CD, streaming from laptop:
    1. RCA
    2. Optical OR second RCA
    3. USB
  3. Desktop form factor, size is important but not critical; but I will not be transporting this anywhere
  4. Stackable (cannot have tubes sticking up prominently) as I have limited space
  5. I do not need a phono preamp, and in fact prefer not to have one as I have a Project tube pre
  6. I do not need balanced headphone outs, but yeah, maybe will someday, so...
  7. ON A BUDGET (<$500, prefer <$250)
  8. Can be bought somewhere *other than* Amazon
Here's the backstory: I had a 1970s Marantz that I used for my headphone listening station, but it crapped out on me last year, so I replaced it with a Denon that I had laying around as a temporary solution. I noticed some minor distortion, but I pretty much always play LPs on this setup, so I chalked it up to my turntable.

Last week, I popped in an Eric Johnson CD, and the distortion was even more pronounced. I had recently upgraded the cables too, so I don't believe that is the cause. But then I realized I could try the direct output jack on the CD player, and sure enough - no distortion.

I do all of my needle drops from this setup (tape monitor output), so now I am worried that the last year's worth will need to be redone. The Denon is actually a really old home theater receiver, so I doubt it was made with audiophiles in mind.

I always knew I would have to replace it, but now I feel a more pressing need. So far, the only device have found that meets my spec is the Fiio K5/K7/K9, though some of what I have read in publications makes me think it will not really work for needle drops, since I listen as I record, and the volume is not defeated in the pre-out channel.

I don't think a Hugo TT2 could work, as I think that is too big, and not stackable? I also don't like the digital volume control (no physical option).

Nov 20, 2023 at 8:27 PM Post #2 of 11
You are totally wrong by looking for an AMP with the ability to "record". There is no such thing in the world. Unless you mean a sound card, AMP+DAC doesn't record anything too.

Nov 20, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #3 of 11
You are totally wrong by looking for an AMP with the ability to "record". There is no such thing in the world. Unless you mean a sound card, AMP+DAC doesn't record anything too.

As stated, record via the output. Not record using the device itself. Further down, I mention that I do this now via the Tape Monitor Amp output. Just looking for a similarly functioning line-level output.

Nov 20, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #4 of 11
As stated, record via the output. Not record using the device itself. Further down, I mention that I do this now via the Tape Monitor Amp output. Just looking for a similarly functioning line-level output.
If you use another whatever device/recorder to record from the AMP's output, I don't think it will be a "MUST HAVE" for the AMP. You can easily use any kind of adapter to adapt whatever output of the AMP to the input of the recorder. As long as you buy a "Sci-Fi" Amp (check AMP recommendation of ASR), whether you can record the "needle drops" purely depends on your source and the ability of your recorder.
Further reading, I still don't think you are looking into the right direction. You are asking for "exact" number of input, which I really don't know why. If you are mixing sources at the same time, you cannot achieve using any AMP or DAC. THEY ARE NOT DESIGNED TO USE LIKE THIS.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #5 of 11
If you don't do any mixing, then you only need 1 input, and you can adapt whatever device you have to that using correct adapters.
Furthermore, to "properly" increase volume of a source file in computer you should use sound editor to do it digitally first to introduce less quality loss.

Nov 21, 2023 at 9:38 AM Post #7 of 11
Nov 21, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #8 of 11

Thanks! Yes, Fiio is one of my top options, as I mentioned, but I have to find out from them if the RCA out works when the line in or headphones is being used, because their documentation suggests that it only works on the K5.

Nov 21, 2023 at 10:37 AM Post #9 of 11
Thanks! Yes, Fiio is one of my top options, as I mentioned, but I have to find out from them if the RCA out works when the line in or headphones is being used, because their documentation suggests that it only works on the K5.

Yeah, might not work the way you need it for that. Not sure

Nov 21, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #11 of 11
K7 is a good Sci-Fi choice, which MAY meet your need. However, I still suggest you do more research on your needs and how things work. For example, optical input may alter the sound you get, the sound you record may not be the sound you listen to even the same source. Because as I mentioned, optical is digital, it need K7 or whatever DAC to "translate" it to sound, which is a process may not produce the same sound you enjoyed. E.g. some people said/felt optical input is warmer than RCA or other analog source, especially you mentioned "needle drops". It will depend on your own feelings/experience.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back