Very quick comparison - RE0 vs. S4
Jan 23, 2010 at 7:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Scott549

100+ Head-Fier
Just traded my RE0's for S4's. Here's the mini-review:

RE0 has more clarity and accuracy. They just weren't very fun for me, though. I need a little more bass.

S4 has more bass. A little too much more, I'd say. Somewhat boomy. But the overall signature isn't bad. Quite serviceable for the price, and I've never found a better fit than the Klipsch gels. I'm going to try them for falling asleep -- one thing about the heavy bass is that it makes them sound pretty good at lower volumes.

One more quick remark -- if you like the S4 and want to invest a bit more, the X5's are worthy, especially if you can find them discounted. The bass is more refined but still good, and the overall clarity is somewhat better.

Jan 23, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #2 of 5
Have you tried the RE0 with an amp? It should get the bass to your likings if you think the S4 is on the verge of too much bass.

Jan 23, 2010 at 8:51 PM Post #3 of 5
if you burn the S4s in, the bass calms down.

Jan 23, 2010 at 10:42 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by germanturkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you burn the S4s in, the bass calms down.

I don't believe that, but I'll let you know if it happens.

I did not try the RE0 with an amp. I did try the RE2 with an amp and it definitely does improve the bass. I don't like to use amps, though. I think portables should be portable, and having to carry an amp around is inconvenient.

Jan 24, 2010 at 3:09 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott549 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't believe that, but I'll let you know if it happens.

I did not try the RE0 with an amp. I did try the RE2 with an amp and it definitely does improve the bass. I don't like to use amps, though. I think portables should be portable, and having to carry an amp around is inconvenient.

The burn in helps quite a bit when I had the S4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back