Very picky person needs new MP3 player - help
Aug 22, 2007 at 4:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

HyperM3

100+ Head-Fier
Very upset right now as my Iaudio x5 broke yesterday. The headphone jack had been a bit wonky so I took the unit apart. Just as I had assumed, a couple connections came loose. I busted out the magnifier and resoldered the piece back together. Worked perfectly but when I put it back together, the fit was too tight and the whole piece snapped off. I wasnt about to try to solder it all over again.

So here I am needing a new player. My needs are a bit more different than others, Im very picky.

First off, I do not want an Ipod. Not trying to offend anyone, I just dont want to convert all my music and I like drag-n-drop.

Secondly, I would like to stay in the same range of memory as Ive had(20g with the x5 and 20 with a previous iRiver ht-120). If I have to go as low as 8g then that should be adequate.

I want fm tuner as I plug this into speakers at work and play the radio all day. I dont care what the screen looks like as Ill never watch movies on it or download pics. Dont care about recording or line-in either.

I want great sound quality and power(using e4's on the road) and usability(read:easy navigation).

I was looking at the clix2 and the D2 because I like their form factor. Again, not going to be using them for movies, shows or pics so I guess the screen is a waste, just like the ease of use.

Dont care about price either so bring it on.

Aug 22, 2007 at 4:38 PM Post #2 of 11
what format is your music in? if all you do at work is listen to the radio, i think a stand-alone radio would be a better/simpler solution for that usage.

Aug 22, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 11
1) JVC XA-HD500
2) Kenwood HD10GB7
3) Kenwood HD20GA7

I think the first one is the best, if 6gb are enough for you. The other two have more storage space (10gb and 20gb).

Oh sorry, I've seen right now that you want an FM radio, and they don't have it.

Aug 22, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what format is your music in? if all you do at work is listen to the radio, i think a stand-alone radio would be a better/simpler solution for that usage.

My music is in MP3/WMA format. I forgot to mention that I use this in my car mostly through the aux-in line when its not on my desk at work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by urabus
If you're looking at the D2 and don't care about video, i'd say check out the Meizu M6 8gb. Less expensive, more storage capacity than the D2.

This forum is the first place Ive heard about the Meizu, couldnt find reviews anywhere.

Aug 22, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #7 of 11
If you want Meizu reviews and information, check out www.dapreview.net

There are a bunch of reviews of Meizu players and a ton of information about them there on the forums. They are supposed to be great players. Especially the M6 for the money it costs.

Sep 11, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by urabus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're looking at the D2 and don't care about video, i'd say check out the Meizu M6 8gb. Less expensive, more storage capacity than the D2.

If you have made the purchase yet the Meizu M3 might be a better fit. It has a better fm radio, better snr for low impedence phone (no diff for er4s) and its cheaper and smaller ( at the expense of video). But there seems to be some quality, usability, firmware issues with Meizu in general.

I am researching for something similar 8gb+, fm radio and good sq.

Sep 11, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by taoster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have made the purchase yet the Meizu M3 might be a better fit. It has a better fm radio, better snr for low impedence phone (no diff for er4s) and its cheaper and smaller ( at the expense of video). But there seems to be some quality, usability, firmware issues with Meizu in general.

I am researching for something similar 8gb+, fm radio and good sq.

Nope, havent picked up anything yet. However, I realized that I need more than 10g of memory. More like 20+, so Im back to square one.

Sep 11, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #10 of 11
Hi!
I use a 8gb HDSC card with my D2. Considering the D2 comes in 4 gb you should stick with Cowon. No reconverting your music and the menu is very similar, you will have a very short learning curve with the D2 .

Or the Cowon i7 is now with 16 gb!

Many members here mention Meizu, but from what I understood, it hisses!...

regards,

Sep 12, 2007 at 6:11 AM Post #11 of 11
For the flash based arena, players off the top of my head with 16GB capacities that I can think of off the top of my head are the new Creative V+, Creative ZEN, the iAudio 7, and the iPod Touch.

Creative V+: very small, lightweight, joystick based controls, fairly vibrant OLED display and good battery life, and sound quality you've come to expect from Creative.

Creative ZEN: a new player from Creative, large 2.5" display, great battery life and simple design. Again, Creative audio quality.

iAudio 7: a flash based version of the iAudio 6, a player highly revered by audiophiles, with great audio quality and stellar battery life. Features a 37mW output, can drive most full size cans.

Cowon D2: Touch screen based DAP, though currently only available in up to 4GB capacities, 8GB model expected stateside soon, memory size can be expanded via SDHC, same sound quality and strong 37mW output as the iAudio 7.

And incase you can discipline yourself to using only 8GBs of storage, the Meizu M3 would be a good choice, in my opinion. I had a great experience with my M6, good audio quality, battery life, construction, and none of the hiss people speak of.

All of the players listed above are worth a good lookover, in my opinion. Best of luck, champ.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back