Very picky eaters are common
Nov 21, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #17 of 17
Quote:

I love sushi but these days I rarely eat it since I kind of have gotten bored with it due to eating it thousands of times.

I only periodically just feel like eating something other than sashimi/sushi (like when I'm really, really hungry), as I generally love eating it. One time I was feeling too tired to venture to the opposite side of a mall where I was getting groceries, then lo and behold, they had a sushi counter where I picked up Tamago and - here's the kicker - a fillet of sashimi-grade salmon. I then went out to the Starbuck's right outside, got some tea and an extra cup of scalding water. Sat down outside, then dunked my pocket knife in the spare hot water, ate the tamago, and then I started eating the raw salmon right there after cleaning the pocket knife. Sure freaked out the kid in the next table.

Similar incident a few years ago, this time with beef. I went into this local Aussie beef steak restaurant (I wouldn't really call it a steakhouse since the lighting is always too bright, and it's in a mall), which offered affordable steaks in two sizes. As I was hungry (I did a round in some HiFi stores in the mall) I ordered the largest ribeye they had, and then gave specific instructions that I want it seared on a super-hot grill, brown on the outside but completely red on the inside. I got my steak and when I sliced it open the sear was paper-thin, and in the next booth two kids were staring at me. I turned my next bite in a way to show the cross-section, and they tapped their mom and pointed at me. I think they actually think I'm eating raw beef (not that I don't).

Another time we were in a restaurant in Little Tokyo and we ordered the party platter of wagyu. I got bored waiting for my turn at the grill (the table couldn't take a third with all those plates of raw meat), so I turned to the server and asked if it was sashimi-grade all the way to our table. She said yes. I then started eating the sirloin raw and all my friends thought I was nuts. Hey if the server was wrong I'd sue them - four years since and I've suffered more from eating 1kg (well that includes the bones) of 800,000 Scoville Chicken Wings, which went in like "garlic Parmesan" (according to the server who couldn't believe how fast I ate) but left my body like...well, let's just say it's like being sodomized by a bottle of ghost pepper sauce, but it went in the other direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back