Very noobish question about which amplifier to get for use with PC and PS3.
Jul 18, 2011 at 4:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

MarkLR

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, after using my headphones (just a pair of old crappy Creative Fatal1ty I got 4 years ago) unamped for several years I randomly decidced to try and amp them using an old pair of PC speakers from at least 10 years ago, and I noticed pretty big difference despite the 'phones being crap and the "amp" being complete ****. The volume is much higher and I think they sound a little better. Unfortunately, they also produce a weird tone in the background and if I turn the volume knob on the speakers they emit extremely loud static, so they are not very usable.

Anyway, this made me realize that using an amplifier is pretty much mandatory, especially on the PS3 (I connect my headphones directly to the audio cable using an adapter, and I felt that in most games the volume was very weak), but even on the PC the increased volume is nice to have.

Can you recommend me a good, cheap amplifier for use with PC and PS3? I don't know anything about them and I have no idea where to start, so just recommend me one, explain why, and if it's not too expensive (I'd like to spend less than 30 euros) I'll get it. I just need it to make my headphones a bit louder, and if possible increase the audio quality too. I don't need any other feature or portability. Also, I wanted to get new headphones, the Sennheiser HD558, and since they are 50 ohms I'm pretty sure I'll have to get an amp to make them sound any decent (my Creative ones are around 30 if I recall correctly). From reviews, I understand that the Sennheiser are light on bass, so since amps have bass boost options maybe they would improve the sound when listening to bassy music, and I could turn it off when listening to other kinds of music, or gaming.

I was thinking about getting the Fiio E5, but it's a portable miniature one with a battery, maybe there is a non portable alternative with better performances for less?

Please help me and thanks in advance.

Jul 19, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #2 of 3
I dont think you will be happy with the results if all you are doing is amplifying the analog output from the PS3, and I dont think your budget will allow for a DAC/amp with optical in. Similarly, unless you have exceptionally good onboard audio, the best approach would be to take SPDIF from your PC to a DAC.

http://www.leckertonaudio.com/products/uha-6s/

Most Macbooks and some laptops have optical out from the headphone jack (mini Toslink) - not sure if (stock) desktop mobos offer the same functionality. The price of soundcards seems to have come down dramatically over the last few years, and you might find something used within your budget.

Jul 19, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #3 of 3
My sennheiser doesn't feel like they're light on bass.
It's not boomy bass, not overpowering, not too weak either.

Since you get a lot of static from amping, this means that your source is not very good.
You might want to get a DAC/amp but 30 euros is a little too low for a good set. I can't recommend
anything since I don't use standalone amps/dacs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back