Very much once off n00b question to help my son
Mar 16, 2014 at 7:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

fnardo

New Head-Fier
Hi Folks,

I tried looking through the topics and sections here, but most of it is over my head.  If someone has the patience to dumb down an answer for me I would be most grateful.

My son has Autism.. this means that background noises can really (and I mean REALLY) distract him and affect his ability to concentrate.  Active noise cancelling headphones are recommended for school and other loud places.  Trouble is, he is also really rough on tech like that and they are quite expensive.  I have done some searching, and cant understand why there is not a unit that does the active noise cancellation that you can just plug into any headphones.  I understand the principle of the noise cancellation, and even have a pair of noise cancelling earbuds which must have the mic and processor in the little unit inline as opposed to the earpieces.

What I am looking for, in essence, is a way to make, buy, cobble together a robust unit that does the noise cancellation, also has volume limitation for ear safety, can be used with or without an actual audio input (other than the mic for background input) and be able to swap out the buds or cans if they are damaged.  I, perhaps naively and hence my question to your group, don't get why it would not be a simple thing to do (with the caveat that high sound fidelity is not the main objective).  I am happy to go ahead and cut out the processing unit from my earbuds, add a simple volume limiting circuit and give it a go, but it seems to simple, so I thought I would ask the guru's in the field if you would indulge me.

Thanks heaps in advance, any advice, comments or just points in the right direction most appreciated.

Cheers,

Pete.

Mar 19, 2014 at 5:30 AM Post #3 of 3
Hey Mr X,

Yeah, I saw some of those... what seems weird to me is why there seems to be no commercial products available, hence the question to you guys.  Maybe its just a case of most people don't need a separate unit cos they are not so hard on the ear hardware.

If thats the case, can I just cut out an inline noise canceller that I already have and solder it onto a new pair of headphones, or is that going to mess with those complicated stuff like impedance etc.

Thanks for the answer though... I might just give it a try.

Cheers,

Pete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back