Very low budget soundcards?
Feb 1, 2010 at 10:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

hbfs

New Head-Fier
I just put in an order for a Sony MDR-XB500, and I'm wondering if a very low budget sound card ($20-35 incl. CA tax if applicable) would be worth it. I spend maybe half the time listening to music, a quarter movies, a quarter games.

I've done a lot of lurking on these forums, but I decided to get the Sonys on a personal choice, please don't criticize that choice and drag this thread off topic.

I won't be buying a sound card for about half a year, which is why I didn't just spend the extra money on more expensive headphones. Basically, I'm wondering if it is worth spending a small amount of money on a sound card for the XB500, and what would be good choices in my price range?

Feb 1, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #2 of 6
USB sound cards in your price range:
Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro
Steelseries Siberia
Terratec Aureon Dual

All these options are tiny; essentially the same size as a usb flash drive. I've only tried the turtle beach, and it was ok for the price. A bit boomy, lots of volume gain (not necessarily great though). I thought it was a worthwhile $30 spent.

Feb 2, 2010 at 7:10 AM Post #4 of 6
I have several Creative PCI sound cards, the same model I used to use before I had my X-Fi. They're simple and I couldn't detect any noise. It would certainly eliminate the buzzing from USB sound cards or onboard sound. If you're interested, I could sell you one. It's the ct4750 I think.

Feb 2, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #6 of 6
At that price, it's unlikely that you'd find a new sound card that is much better than a good onboard sound device.
I'd suggest searching for some older used card, or saving the money for a 'real' sound card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back