VERY INTERESTING!!: Parents blind test 3 CD Players (NOT a DBT Discussion)
Sep 13, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Roam, as an engeneer i would have thought you would at least make your own amps!

I build them, she tells me what's wrong with them and helps with parts selection. She hears things which I sometimes have a hard time picking up, it makes my design cycle a lot shorter & easier.

Sep 13, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, that's great. Who needs a fancy multimeter when you've got a daughter/wife/girlfriend.

This is why it's dumb when people have debates about whether something sounds better because it "measures" better on test equipment; everyone hears different so that serves no purpose. Any "real" speaker builder will tell you that no amount of equipment will yield you the best results, you have to listen, swap parts, listen, swap parts, in order to get what sounds best. If you're building them for someone else, then you have to have them listen, then swap parts, etc. Otherwise, you're just going by what is ideal from an electrical standpoint.

As GendoIkari would say, "Oscilloscopes and DVOMs don't listen to music. I do."

Sep 13, 2007 at 6:57 AM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I build them, she tells me what's wrong with them and helps with parts selection. She hears things which I sometimes have a hard time picking up, it makes my design cycle a lot shorter & easier.

Wowee... I'm envious of people with the technical know-how to build their own audio gear.
biggrin.gif
What kind of amps do you build, Roam?
smily_headphones1.gif
Any pics? I'd love to see them!

Sep 13, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Logistics /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is why it's dumb when people have debates about whether something sounds better because it "measures" better on test equipment; everyone hears different so that serves no purpose. Any "real" speaker builder will tell you that no amount of equipment will yield you the best results, you have to listen, swap parts, listen, swap parts, in order to get what sounds best. If you're building them for someone else, then you have to have them listen, then swap parts, etc. Otherwise, you're just going by what is ideal from an electrical standpoint.

As GendoIkari would say, "Oscilloscopes and DVOMs don't listen to music. I do."

I sorta disagree. I think as far as amps and DACs are concern, their functions are mostly an electrical one and should be treated as an electrical engineering problem, their subjective performance (like everything else EE) should be correlated to objective measurements. Headphones are different because they are so far from ideal.

Sep 14, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #22 of 27
Men think logically. Women think emotionally.

So perhaps your mum used her 'big picture' emotional impressions to good effect here.

Sep 14, 2007 at 6:43 AM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyanbomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wowee... I'm envious of people with the technical know-how to build their own audio gear.
biggrin.gif
What kind of amps do you build, Roam?
smily_headphones1.gif
Any pics? I'd love to see them!

x2.

Sep 15, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Logistics /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is why it's dumb when people have debates about whether something sounds better because it "measures" better on test equipment; everyone hears different so that serves no purpose. Any "real" speaker builder will tell you that no amount of equipment will yield you the best results, you have to listen, swap parts, listen, swap parts, in order to get what sounds best.

I would just love to see the reactions of the good people designing loudspeakers at B&W, Quad, Revel, Genelec, Tannoy etc. when confronted with claims like this. Best post of the year.
icon10.gif

Regards,

L.

Sep 15, 2007 at 8:22 PM Post #27 of 27
My girlfriend who is blind (since 6 month of age) and hears at an unbelievably detailed level thinks I'm nuts when it comes to audio.

She always tells me I'm letting all "those sounds" (think details) get in the way of enjoying the music.

I tell her she hasn't trained herself in what to listen for. That gets her laughing as she says her whole environment is sound, smell and vibration, but mostly sound. She insists she hears it all, but doesn't need it all.

She may be right, her mid fi speaker system, (which includes Sanyo vinyl, Pioneer CD, Onkyo receiver, and big Cerwin Vegas) may not be accurate in most audiophile ways, but it sure is involving and can even be called moving at times.

Methinks, she may be right about the need for accuracy.

On the other hand, maybe men just hear/perceive differently.
tongue.gif

Edit1: I just realized we could call her reactions the results of a true "blind" test.
Edit2: BTW, she won't even put on my headphones as they make her violently claustrophobic. Says they cut her completely off from her world and feels trapped. I understand, of course, but it makes me even more curious concerning what she would say about the sound qualities of each of my headphones. Sigh...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back