Very interesting… Another look at the UE Super.Fi 5 Pro
Dec 19, 2005 at 6:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Jasper994

Organizer for Can Jam '09
A few weeks ago, my pre-production 5 Pros (the ones we got at the tour were pre-production units in case anyone missed that) died... R.I.P. Well, I got hold of UE and they were nice enough to give me a new pair, thanks again guys! Interestingly enough, it sounded quite different from what the pre-production units sounded like. I asked Mike about this and he told me that after getting our feedback they tweaked the acoustics for the production units. I apologize if this has led to any confusion; I was under the impression that the only difference between the units we had and the production units was the cable, and was unaware of any acoustic differences. For what it’s worth, I don’t think the differences are so huge that it would change my opinion when recommending the E4 over the SF5P or vice versa. It would, however, change some of the comments I have made regarding the E5 vs. the SF5P.

Anyway, the big (general) differences that I’m hearing thus far are in bass and treble quantities. The production units have a lot more treble then the pre-production units (this is a good thing). They also have a bit less bass (putting them about equal to the E5). I’ll have to do a few more back and fourths to verify this completely, but they’re pretty close.

Overall, I’d now put the E5 and the SF5P on about equal ground (again I want to do more listening, but this is what I’m getting thus far). The one place I’m noticing major polarizing differences in my opinions of them is with rock music. For well recorded rock, the E5 is just the cat’s meow! In this case, the SF5P sounds a bit lifeless, I can enjoy the music, but I don’t really get into it. The E5 sucks me in and won’t let go ‘til the song is over. On the other hand, the SF5P is good for all those “a bit too hot” recordings that are quite common in modern rock. In this case, the E5 can become a bit harsh; whereas the SF5P starts doing to me what the E5s do to me on well recorded rock: I start bobbing my head and get the urge to jump in the nearest mosh pit. I’ve pinned this phenomena down to the E5 having more mids than the SF5P. With other music styles, thus far I’m enjoying them about equally.

Over the next week or two I’m going to take another look at the differences between the E4, E5, and SF5P, in particular to resolve two things: 1) the differences now that I have a production SF5P 2) how they all sound with the 5th Gen iPod. I’ll probably also add in some commentary/comparisons to the UE-10 as well. Keep an eye on this thread if you’re interested (once I’m done I’ll also link this thread to my initial review). I know some of you were also waiting for a UE-10 review from me. I’ll be working on that now as well. Sorry it’s been so long in coming; I’ve been really busy this past semester and just never got to it.

Dec 19, 2005 at 7:29 PM Post #2 of 4
Thanks for the revised impressions, Aaron. Keep us in the loop as you do more evaluations. BTW, are you using your 5G's EQ at all with the Sf 5 Pro's? I've found that even my post-production Super.fi's benefit from a little treble boost.

Dec 19, 2005 at 8:38 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by BRBJackson
Thanks for the revised impressions, Aaron. Keep us in the loop as you do more evaluations. BTW, are you using your 5G's EQ at all with the Sf 5 Pro's? I've found that even my post-production Super.fi's benefit from a little treble boost.

I haven't been, but I'll play with it a bit...

Dec 19, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #4 of 4
I was contemplating getting a pair of the SF5Ps as a change of pace from my two Shure phones. Thought the UEs might bring a different flare to the music. If they're that close, however (to the E5s), I'm not sure I'd like to part with the cash to get 'em.

Been reading about the huge sound stage of the super.fis. Is it noticeably more expansive than E5? In other words, I'm trying to figure out if there's really any reason to plunge. I've owned just about every other canalphone, and have happily settled on these two (E4 and E5).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back