VERY impressed with Sony MDR-EX90LP!
Nov 27, 2007 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Rick Hunter

100+ Head-Fier
First of all, for those who never heard of these, I'm talking about these:
mdr-ex90sl2.jpg

tech_img1.jpg

020005.jpg

I have lately been striving to find a decent (earbud-sized) pocketable can.
After going through JVC Marshmallows - Sennheiser CX300 - JBL Reference 220 Ive stumbled across these "ibrid" canalphones from Sony.
I call them "ibrid" because they are a half-way between a normal earbud and a canalphone/IEM, as you can see from the pictures above.

The MDR-EX90LP is almost entirely made from machined aluminum, and build quality is absolutely top notch, no loose parts, no creaking, well built, really.

They come with 3 different sized pairs of silicone eartips and a nice leather carrying case that has a solid plastic part inside where you place the headphones and wind up the cable around the plastic...

31894746-2-300-DT1.gif

71c13086ed0b4b924f1f63e9b351ef86.jpg

Compared to my JVC Marshmallows, Sennheiser CX300 and JBL Reference 220 these MDR-EX90LP stand out head and shoulders both in terms of build quality and, most important, sound quality, at least for my tastes.

Compared to my other 3 aforementioned canalphones these MDR-EX90LP

- Are not overly bass heavy (one thing I dislike in my other 3 IEMS)
- The bass is MUCH tighter, controlled, defined (my other 3 IEMS feel all boomy, muddy, and exaggerated in the bass department)
- They are much easier to insert and get a seal
- They definitely have a soundstage (whereas the other 3 don't) you perceive instruments from different directions
- They have better instrument separation
- They isolate less (if you're after big isolation look elsewhere)
- They definitely exibhit some leakage but not as bad as normal earbuds
- They have less cable microphonics, almost non existant in fact.
- Their overall sound balance is more neutral and natural to my ears, whereas the other 3 are all way more colored.

I'm actually using them with the small tips and enjoy them really a lot. What I like is the fact that they sound good, bass is punchy and clean, as opposed to the muddy and overwhelming bass of my other IEMS, mids are airier, with so much better instrument separation, and with a soundstage that sometimes makes you think you're listening to full size cans, treble is clean, a bit forward but not sharp or fatiguing. The overall sound balance I get is something that makes me just enjoy my music instead of mumbling about the muddy bass or congested midrange or weird tonal balance i get with my other canalphones.

Price is around a hundred bucks.

Questions welcome.

Dec 1, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #2 of 14
Yeah, I'm gonna actually have to agree with you on this one. I was looking for an IEM for my wife (who happens to be a total bass-head) and stumbled upon these. They really sound great. I picked up a pair for 65 bucks on amazon.

I really think that these are an under the radar steal.

Dec 1, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #3 of 14
Would you guys say that these are "sleepable"?
im thinking of getting a pair for my wife.
regards

Dec 1, 2007 at 7:11 PM Post #5 of 14
I just bought some 90's to replace my 71's and the difference is obvious, better define sound at all frequencies,the only downside,is that the cable is in one piece,but that's the only thing i'll miss from my 71's

Dec 1, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if these are the same canal phones that came with my sony a818, they sure look almost identical.

Inks, they're not the same, but they really do look similar! I bought a pair of the EX90s and returned them because they didn't isolate enough, but they had a really nice sound. They sound about 30% better with my 808 than the supplied ones. I think the stock ones are EX082?

Dec 1, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #7 of 14
The one from Sony NWZ-A818 is MDR-EX082 a identical pair of MDR-EX85LP which is the cheaper version of MDR-EX90LP. Kind of like MDR-V6 to MDR-7506. Same headphones different materials use to build. Although MDR-EX90LP is the best $80 earphones I have had.

Dec 1, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #8 of 14
The ex90s are my all-time fav IEM. I of course modded the hell out of mine (glued vents shut, gutted the sound tube, added a shure wax guard, added shure black tips...), and the bass is simply UN-COMPARABLE.

Dec 1, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #10 of 14
man, I'd kill for ex90s in the 60s. In Canada I can't find them for less than 120$

Dec 1, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #12 of 14
Rick, you've got some nice circumaural headphones. How can you say the EX90LP has clean bass?!

Assorted, we both must've been listening to defective pairs
wink.gif

Dec 20, 2007 at 7:15 AM Post #13 of 14
I absolutely love my EX-90s
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back