Very Impressed with My New Squeezebox Duet
Aug 31, 2008 at 12:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

jsaliga

Headphoneus Supremus
There hasn't been a great deal of discussion about the Squeezebox Duet around here. There were a few short threads where a lot of SB3 owners basically poo pooed the new product because some felt the display on the remote was too small, or it wasn't ergonomic enough for them, or whatever.

I was actually planning on buying a Slim Devices Transporter. I have been waiting for the right buying opportunity to come along, having seen used ones sell on Agon for as low as $1,250. I went so far as to sell my Denon DVD 3910 to make room in my rack for the Transporter, and I was planning on pairing it up with an Oppo DV-980H.

Last night I was at a Circuit City and saw that they had the Squeezebox Duet for $349. So I decided to check it out. I was stunned by the super tiny footprint of the receiver, and it seemed tailor made for someone like me who doesn't have a lot of available space and doesn't want to change racks or expand its size. I thought my phono preamp was small, but the Squeezebox Duet receiver is about half its size. Here's a picture of it in my rack, inside the red rectangle. The TC-760LC phono preamp is to the right.

squeezeboxreceiver.jpg

I love the tiny footprint of this device. My feeling was that if it delivered satisfying sound quality then I could forget about buying the Transporter and think about replacing the Denon 3910 with a used Esoteric DV-50 -- something I had ruled out a few weeks earlier because I didn't have room for both a Transporter and the DV-50.

I'm not sure what people aren't liking about the remote.

remote.jpg

Here it is next to the cordless phone on my desk. I find that it fits very comfortably in the hand, and the controls are somewhat similar to the i-Pod. You rotate the wheel to scroll up and down through lists, and the center button is used to select your choices. The arrow buttons allow you to navigate forward and backward through menu choices. It's very intuitive and easy to use.

Setting up the Squeezebox Duet wasn't quite as simple as the instructions that came in the box made it out to be. I wanted to connect my receiver to my wired ethernet network. I also have wireless 802.11G, but that network is reseved for computers. The issue I was having is that the Squeezebox Duet seemed to want to default to a wireless network setup, and did not give me the option to configure it for ethernet. I reset the receiver five or so times and then suddenly the option to do an ethernet setup was presented on the remote. So I quickly set the IP configuration of the receiver and all was fine. Part of the problem is that the included documentation is very thin, amounting to nothing more than a quick setup guide. There is no software or other documentation in the package. If you buy the Squeezebox Duet then I recommend that you download the full user's guide from the Slim Devices support site before doing anything.

Once the hardware was configured I created a SqueezeNetwork account and downloaded the SqueezeCenter software. While that was taking place the remote notified me that new firmware was available and asked me if I wanted to download and install it. So I did that while I was working on getting the SqueezeCenter software configured.

I decided to buy a Western Digital My Book 1TB external USB 2.0 hard disk. I have several smaller drives that I could use, but it too was on sale at Circuit City for $179. I have a mountain of FLAC files scattered across several smaller drives, and this was a good opportunity to consolidate all of that stuff onto a single drive.

I found the SqueezeCenter software to be pretty effective, though it isn't without its quirks. For example, I don't care for how it deals with multi-disc sets. But that is really a minor complaint. Once I got the hang of the software I was able to get it tweaked more or less to my liking.

squeezecenter.jpg

I gave a few albums that I ripped to FLAC a listen that I know came from excellent masters. I was very much surprised by how good this little box sounds. It wasn't a critical listening session mind you, as I was doing some work on a report for a customer. But I have to say that it sounded very good. I am listening to it now as I write this post, so I have had a day with it and have listened to everything from Lionel Hampton to Frank Sinatra to Beethoven to Liszt to the Beatles....and so far so good. I am very impressed wtih the sound quality. Forgive me for not saying it is just "passable" or "tolerable" so as not to offend the sensibilities of the "money's no object" crowd. I am sure there are many better sounding digital sources out there, and a few of them might even justify their high prices. But I find that the Squeezebox Duet delivers a lot of terrific sound in exchange for its meager asking price.

As attractive as all of this is, to me the package becomes a killer deal because it gives you access to internet radio and some subscription based online digital music services such as Rhapsody and Pandora. Of course, it's easy to like services such as these when they are free for 30 days. There is also access to several free services, but the quality of those are all over the map. For most the bitrates are pretty respectable: 128kbps WMA or 192kbps variable bitrate MP3. But there were several internet radio stations streaming 96kbps mp3. IIRC Rhapsody is 256kbs MP3, and I generally found the sound quality on this service to be superb. I won't keep all of the paid services when the trials run out, but I will probably keep two: Rhapsody and Sirius Internet Radio as both have a lot of content in musical genres that I listen to a great deal.

If you've been sitting on the fence with the Squeezebox Duet then I suggest you jump off. The product delivers tons of value for the money, is easy and intuitive to use, and will provide many hours of listening enjoyment. Highly recommended.

--Jerome

Aug 31, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #2 of 21
i got one at Circuit City too. i'm debating whether or not its is worth the money.
it works fine streaming off my computer but its hardly worth it for that. it was making me very angry today when it was stopping 3 times during every song off pandora and rhapsody to stream. =/

Aug 31, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #3 of 21
Well, I haven't had single issue with mine when streaming music from the internet. But I have a very fast 6MB connection too.

Don't know what tell you. How much bandwidth do you have?

--Jerome

Aug 31, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #4 of 21
theoretically 2mb though i find it to be much slower and often finicky
i'm moving back to school soon though which normally has 10mb. except i'm living in a room which was meant for graduate living so the isp is not the school so i have no clue how fast it will be there =/ it better not be slow
frown.gif

Aug 31, 2008 at 2:04 AM Post #5 of 21
I love my SB3. It is my primary digital source and sounds even better through my DAC. I would bet the Duet run through a DAC would be even better. I may have to get one in the next few months.

Aug 31, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by breakfastchef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my SB3. It is my primary digital source and sounds even better through my DAC. I would bet the Duet run through a DAC would be even better. I may have to get one in the next few months.

just out of curiosity how long have you been using the SB3? im afraid the SB duet will be obsolete by next year but i see no real foundation for that fear.

Aug 31, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #7 of 21
I have been using my SB for at least two years. Logitech would make a big mistake killing the Slim Devices division. The products are good, the forums seems to be very active, and many users actively create plug-ins for the software. Seems like a decent formula for longevity.

Aug 31, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #8 of 21
got my Duet last week. Running Itunes and Sirius. So far I love it. No problems at all except for the not getting the album cover art with Itunes. But that isn't a big deal for me.

Aug 31, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by URZS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just out of curiosity how long have you been using the SB3? im afraid the SB duet will be obsolete by next year but i see no real foundation for that fear.

I can't imagine it going obsolete anytime soon. It is a real bargain at it's price. I am not fond of it's built in dac. I run it through my Lavry DA10. It is wonderful and quite easy from my favorite listening chair. Did I mention all 700 cds from 1 remote?

Aug 31, 2008 at 2:58 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by breakfastchef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my SB3. It is my primary digital source and sounds even better through my DAC.
I would bet the Duet run through a DAC would be even better.

I wasn't sure which one to get, but I ended up with the SB3 because I read this on Trustedreviews, re: the Duet: Quote:

And sound quality is good from the Receiver's onboard DAC too.
It's actually a touch inferior to the Burr-Brown DAC equipped Squeezebox 3 - music has slightly less definition and clarity at the top end - but it's a close run thing.

Of course, the fact the SB3 was quite a bit cheaper helped sway my opinion too, even if Trustedreviews can't be trusted
biggrin.gif

But I wasn't keen on the sound with the Squeezbox dac, so I tried out a Cambridge Audio 840c and 740c so I could run it though the digital input. Well, I guess I'm not keen on the CA sound signature because I found it to be detailed, but too cold for my tastes, especially with vocals. Right now I have it connected to a Quad 99 CDP-2 and the sound is much smoother for my tastes.

I have to admit the Squeezebox is fantastic. I love having 500 hours of playback at my fingertips without having to change a single CD!! And it's so easy to use.

Aug 31, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

It's actually a touch inferior to the Burr-Brown DAC equipped Squeezebox 3 - music has slightly less definition and clarity at the top end - but it's a close run thing.

I would love to sit the person who wrote that down to an ABX with both units. I seriously doubt he would be able to tell the difference.

--Jerome

Aug 31, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would love to sit the person who wrote that down to an ABX with both units.
I seriously doubt he would be able to tell the difference.--Jerome

He didn't say how he tested them both. But because the SB3 was so much cheaper, I got that instead. And I'm not totally convinced of their reviews. I remember them reviewing the Denon AH-C751 earphones and claiming they sounded better than the C700s... but they were exactly the same earphone, only the accessories were different
icon10.gif

Aug 31, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by URZS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
700 cd's?
i can barely stand to rip 2 a day.

Heh. I've done ~500 before (software RAID went *poof* due to silent data corruption from old WD drives). 50 or so per day is doable.

I can see an attraction to the Duet. I can't think of how many times I've squinted in the dark at the Squeezebox's display. As a user of the Squeezebox (IE, version 1), still hanging in there just fine, I don't see any obsoleteness coming, either. The older versions have their inferiorities, but it does not translate into being obsolete. To make them obsolete would alienate the user base quite a bit, I think, and would be a bad move for Logitech (it's just the kind of thing they would do, though, which is why I was not happy that they bought SD!).

All the Squeezeboxes, except maybe for the Transport, have represented excellent values, and properly merge home A/V equipment with non-DRMed digital audio's flexibility.

If anyone is not sure of getting any of them for sale (Squeezebox 1 can't FF/RW lossless, though), just do it.

Aug 31, 2008 at 11:11 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevtt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
got my Duet last week. Running Itunes and Sirius. So far I love it. No problems at all except for the not getting the album cover art with Itunes. But that isn't a big deal for me.

Get an app called Cover Scout. It will copy the cover art from itunes to the individual music files so SqueezeCenter can then show the art.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back