Very good starting amp for RS-1?
Jun 19, 2007 at 5:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

elbrickodaviso

100+ Head-Fier
Well, I've sold off all my gear in hopes of finding an extremely lively headphone that doesn't kill the ears with highs...hopefully I have found this with the RS-1. If I were to get an RS-1 , I'd have a budget absolute max of $320 for an amp. I understand that the MAD tube amps are perfect for the RS-1, and I will be saving for one, but what's a good amp for my budget in the meantime (meantime being 6+ months)?

From what I've read, the Gilmore Lite seems to be a quality solution. Any thoughts?

Thanks for reading!

Jun 19, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gil Schwartzman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try and snag a Millet Hybrid in the FS forums. You can get one for cheap, and they do a good job driving Grados. Good into to tube amps.

This is a good option, But i suggest just saving straight up for the Mapletree. You won't be disappointed.

i know it seems like a lot now but its worth the extra hard work and time for saving up for it. I spent the last 6 months of my senior year saving up for the mapletree and my rs-1's.
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 19, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #4 of 14
I love my MAD with the RS-1 and agree that you should save to get them directly. But i also think that might be some great amps for the RS-1 cheaper than the MADs. Could not be as great as the MADs, but could do the job.
I can't recommend you, once i didn't know myself one good RS-1 cheap amp ...

Jun 19, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #6 of 14
i greatly enjoyed the RS1 with the Raptor. This is an amp to consider somewhere down the road, as it is outside of your budget. For now, I would suggest a Gilmore Lite (if you want solid state) or LD2++ (for tubes). I have used both with my RS1 and have been pleased with the results.

Jun 19, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by cherepashka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wrong forum?

I don't know, maybe. Feel free to move this of course, moderators. I guess I didn't think about it since I had a particular headphone on my mind when I made this topic.

Also, this Millet Hybrid thing intrigues me. Can anyone point out some cheaper quality ones? I only remember the Headroom Millet Hybrid and my wallet just started laughing at me.

edit: Thanks mods
tongue.gif

Jun 19, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #9 of 14
Price on Millet Hybrids vary, due to it's DIY nature. I got one made for me, a basic one with a TREAD PSU, for ~$150. You can buy them used for ~$200, for a nicely done one with extras like a Diamond Buffer or a STEPS PSU.

Jun 19, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A Millet Hybrid is around $350.

Generally speaking, millets run $150-$250 with a power brick, depending on parts used, and ~$350 if they come with a TREAD, which is not entirely necessary. My millet just had a brick, but it was an otherwise very good millet, and it packed a good bit of punch. It was a wonderful little amp.

Jun 20, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #14 of 14
I have a good feeling about it and its ability to suit me until Ear+ time, and maybe even beyond
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back