Very Good Quality "Big Band" Recordings
Apr 19, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #2 of 23
  OK I'm 67 so what!! LOL  Can anyone recommend some Big Band CD's that have very good recordings of any of the Big Band groups. For some reason I would like to try some of them out on my new set up but want good sound quality. 

I'm a youngster at 65.

Not traditional, but try Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band. Their 'albums' are on Spotify if you want to hear them before buying.

Also try the BBC Big Band recordings on Spotify.

Apr 19, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #4 of 23
  Thanks Rick I will check that out.  Keep plugging along you'll  get there. LOL

Please do. And come back and comment here so we can compare notes.
L3000.gif

Apr 20, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #5 of 23
Here are some from my collection that I enjoy:

Benny Goodman: "Sing, Sing, Sing" CD bought a few years ago
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy: eponymous; "Save My Soul:; "This Beautiful Life" not old-style big band, but fun
Bob Mintzer Big Band: "Spectrum" new band, perhaps too slick, but outstanding sound
Brass Menazeri: Balkan style, very fun

Glenn Miller: The Essential Glenn Miller" CD Not audiophile sound, but good

Louis Armstrong: "His Hot Fives and Sevens" collection CDs Not audiophile, but ranges from decent to good
Count Basie: "Straight Ahead" CD
Duke Ellington "New Orleans Suite" CD Make sure you get a good pressing; mine has a small glitch in the last track
Allen Toussaint: "The Bright Mississippi" CD Modern big band
Toshiko Akiyoshi: "Toshiko Akiyoshi-Lee Tabackin Big Band" CD
Maria Schneider Jazz Orchestra: "Coming About" CD

The older records are all decent; you can hear the music clearly and the background noise has been minimized. The modern ones all sound very good, but don't quite have the spirit of the older ones. Big Bad Voodoo Daddy are making their own way. Maria Scneider is a composer, too, and the music is variable. I listen to all of them.

Apr 20, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #6 of 23
Thanks so much for that.  I found some CD's I had I guess from about 10 10 years ago that I had forgot I had and they sound darn good.  They are all 20 bit recordings.  You guys may want to check them out as the sound is fantastic. These are done by New York musicians and the liners explain the instrument placement in the recording studio and they are a fun listen.  Sound is really good.

DMP Big Band:  Carved In Stone
DMP Big Band: Glenn Miller Project
DMP Big Band: Salutes Duke Ellington

Apr 20, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #7 of 23
DMP recordings always have excellent sound. I've enjoyed Billy Barber's discs, and those of Bob Mintzer. I haven't tried the Big Band discs you mention, though. Andy Narrell's steel drum is fun, too.

My favorite jazz record is Dave Brubeck Trio and Gerry Mulligan's "Compadres," from a concert in Mexico City. Still not out on CD, although I did just notice a new LP pressing so perhaps a CD is coming soon..

Apr 21, 2015 at 2:09 PM Post #8 of 23
This morning I've been listening to a band called "Roy Hargrove Big Band". Quite enjoyable.
L3000.gif

Apr 21, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #10 of 23
Apr 21, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #11 of 23
Just a quick glance at the Big Band genre in my ipod:
Anat Cohen - Noir
Arturo Sandoval - Dear Diz
Bill Watrous & Pete Christlieb - Kindred Spirits
Clare Fischer - Pacific Jazz
Count Basie - 88 Basie St.
Dave Grusin - West Side Story
Duke Ellington - ...And His Mother Called Him Bill
GRP All-Star Big Band - All Blues
New Orleans Jazz Orchestra - Live!
Phil Woods - Groovin' To Marty Paich
Rob McConnell & Boss Brass - Brass & Woods
The Tonight Show Band - Vol. 1&2
The Vanguard Jazz Orchestra - Up From The Skies
Wayne Bergeron - Plays Well With Others

....and these were only a FEW of the highlights! And don't get me started on 'little' big bands (nonets, tentets, etc!). Love that horny music!:wink:

Apr 25, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #14 of 23
  Thanks Mr. Rick that one I truly enjoyed.  I really liked the lady who sang on that one song.  Recording is pretty clean and I appreciate the lead to this group.

When I joined here someone was kind enough to direct me to Spotify. Using Spotify my musical horizons have expanded greatly.
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back