Very good 4K HDR Blu Ray player?
Jan 22, 2018 at 3:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

music_man

Headphoneus Supremus
Other than the oppo? I also really want 3D and HDR10+ which does not seem to exist at all yet. No price range as these are not expensive but independent of price what is a good one? I know you will say why not the Oppo. I have a large credit at BB I would like to use some of. that is the only reason. streaming is not a big deal as my tv does all that. just want the best picture.

Sep 18, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #3 of 9
I got a Philips BDP7502 and the reason why I got it is because it supports Dolby Vision. Some Blu Ray HDR are in Dolby Vision, and this one is compatible with them, and Amazon priced them at the best value out of any 4k Blu Ray players that supports Dolby Vision. Most do not support Dolby Vision.

So, look for Dolby Vision compatibility.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 1:47 AM Post #5 of 9
I ended up buying an Xbox one X without realizing it didn't do Dolby Vision.. but hopefully they add support.. Other than the Dolby vision it does HDR10 beautifully

Dec 10, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #6 of 9
I ended up buying an Xbox one X without realizing it didn't do Dolby Vision.. but hopefully they add support.. Other than the Dolby vision it does HDR10 beautifully
Same here, got the Xbox One X for its 4K player, that I can play games with it is an added bonus imo. That it cost me about 400USD + 4 game bundle just seealed the deal. I spend yesterday watching 4K BR's of Avengers Infinity War, Deadpool 2 and Ant-Man and the Wasp.....really like what I'm seeing. Though truth be told, 1080P FHD versions that came with the 4K ones look good enough already.

Dec 12, 2018 at 4:25 AM Post #7 of 9
If the Oppo UDP-203 is still in stock, GET IT. That is seriously one of the finest pieces of gear for 4k UHD. It's awesome. If you have the ca$h and think an all-in-one video AND audio device is in the playing cards, get the UDP-205 if it's still available.
The UDP-203 should be $550-$600. However, they are price gouging on websites like a crazy Florida homeless man on crystal. The UDP-205 should be around $1200.
However, Oppo has stopped production, so let's pretend it doesn't exist now.

If you want Dolby Vision (and that's a good idea), I would suggest the following, in order of price (low to high):

Sony UBP-X700
Sony UBP-X800 (don't quote me on this, but I THINK they are going to have a new version of this model soon)

Panasonic UB820
Panasonic UB9000

It's possible that the Panasonic models are gone now? Sorry, I am heading out the door so I haven't checked this in a while haha. Maybe I will edit and update more when I have the time.

Also, coming soon to the U.S. will be the Pioneer Elite BDP-LX500... a killer flagship 4k player.

Dolby Vision will most likely be easier to find in players next year. Hopefully.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018 at 8:50 PM Post #8 of 9
Getting a 4K BR player is useless without getting some of these...and yes, it's obvious I've got a thing for Gal Gadot.
ccIpD5x.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back