Very Fun (and Dangerous) Afternoon
Jun 15, 2004 at 10:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32
Today we (Jack and I) had an appointment with one of our clients located over an hour-out rural ways. Our contact at this organization is that company's founder, a successful businessman. We pulled up to his headquarters, and parked out front was a Cadillac CTS-V (his wife's) and a Dodge SRT-10 (the pickup truck with the 8.3L V10 500-horsepower Viper engine), which is his latest of many rides.

After our meeting, he wanted to drive the four or five miles to his house to give us a helicopter ride (he has a hotrodded Schweizer chopper, but I'm not sure which model--it seats three). He and his son wanted to drive to the house in Jack's Roush Performance Jack Roush Classic Mustang, which is hotrodded even beyond the already-hotrodded JRC Mustang, so he let Jack and I follow him with his SRT-10.

The ride--or chase--to his house was awesome. Our client took off like a rocket in Jack's car, and Jack was doing everything he could to keep up in the SRT-10, which, though faster than a truck should ever be, was having much difficulty trying to stay with the JRC. On one of the long straights, watching Jack's JRC pull away from us, I said to Jack, "C'mon, man, put it all the way down." "I am, I am," was his smiling response. 80, 100, 120, 130, 140....BRAAAAAAKE....turn....and then do it again and again. It was a blast. Fun as the SRT-10 is (and it is fun), I quickly realized that those kinds of speeds (and the kind of handling required) on twisty country roads are ideally reached in something not as tall as a pickup truck on 22-inch rims (even though the suspension is tuned, and each corner is shod with a Pirelli Scorpion Zero)--the SRT-10 definitely handled better than you might expect something of that size to; but going into one particular turn very hot, under very late breaking, had me wishing I was in Jack's JRC (or a go-kart) at that moment instead. Both Jack and our client are trained competitive drivers.

As if that chase to the house wasn't enough, upon arriving, our client took the doors off his Schweizer to maximize the open-air experience, and he took Jack and I up for a wild chopper ride (yes, he has a small helipad just off his very large garage). An experienced pilot, he flies his chopper like he drives his cars, so it was a blast of a ride, including many maneuvers that humbled any amusement park ride I've tried, including rapid ascents I didn't know a helicopter could do, rapid descents I didn't know a helicopter could safely do, what felt like zero-G floatie maneuvers, hard-as-heck turns, low-altitude bobbing and weaving through openings in the treelines and fast low river runs. Having no idea what an auto-rotation maneuver was (look it up), he prepared us for it only by saying, "There's really nothing you can say to someone who's never been in a helicopter performing auto-rotation to describe the sensation you're about to feel, so I won't try to describe it--we'll just do it." DROP! Phenomenal! After we reestablished lift, I looked at Jack to see who between us had the biggest smile on his face, and I think it was a tie.

We need more clients like him, man. This was a fun day at work, no doubt.

IMPORTANT: This post is not suggesting that driving recklessly and/or above legally posted speed limits (especially in multiples of legally posted speed limits) is acceptable. In fact, due to the higher likelihood of injury or death while driving recklessly and/or above posted speed limits, I expressly recommend never driving in the manner described above, and always recommend that you instead drive no faster than legally posted speed limits.

Jun 15, 2004 at 10:16 PM Post #3 of 32
When I did an internship at Chrysler (before Daimler), we had an afternoon of fun at their Auburn Hills proving grounds. Two Vipers. One roadster and one coupe. Their test drivers took us for a spin. I must say that the first "turn" was at about 90MPH and the way the tires were squealing and my face meeting the passenger window, first instinct was "we're gonna crash". But those fat tires stick to the tarmac.

They did a couple of drag races side by side, coupe vs. roadster (the coupe won most of the time.) Man, the smell of burnt rubber.

Of course the fun and games were over when the guy behind the viper I was in spun out and smacked into the side of a guard rail. Made a "whiffle bat" sounding thump thump. The passenger was absolutely white like a ghost, but we all ran to the car to see the damage was minor and no one was hurt. And we had a laugh about it later.

But that was the end off that. Driver got in a bit of trouble, so I guess they don't drive the interns around like that anymore.
biggrin.gif

But man, that was fun. Very inspiring. We had designs to get back to......ah the sulfurous smell.........

-Ed

Jun 15, 2004 at 10:17 PM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant
Note to members: The preceeding stunts were performed by professional lunatics. Do not try this at home.

jackass-a.jpg

Jun 15, 2004 at 11:53 PM Post #5 of 32
That sounds like a blast. I love when I get a chance to strike fear in the heart of one of my unfortunate passengers.

My wife has pretty much taken over the CTS-V and I only drive it when I gotta haul the kids around. That SRT-10 sounds like a monster and I think I might have to go drive one to see for myself.

I am seriously considering buying a Porche GT3 RSR Comp car and going Porche Spec racing. I put my name on the list for a Spec car and submitted my comp license and deposit. We'll see where this goes. I wish Chevy/GM would do the Corvette Challange again,I would sign up tomorrow.

I bet that copter ride was the sh**.

Jun 16, 2004 at 12:49 AM Post #7 of 32
I had this friend when I was younger (much younger). We would go to camp for two weeks every year, and would be granted the privilege to leave camp on the middle weekend. Well, he showed up and we decided to hit town. I forget how far it was (this was out in the middle of nowhere in West Virginia), but it was far -- far enough that most people don't do it. It takes too long to get there that by the time you get there, you have to come back.

Not the way this guy drove.

He accelerated (there's some straight roads in West Virginia, believe it or not) until he pinned the speedometer, and continued to accelerate. Then he put it in neutral and let go of the gas. I'm not sure, but he may have turned off the engine (I think only briefly, just to show off). "To save gas." We coasted for a long time (he had his car in incredible shape) before the speedometer came unpinned, and then we watched it drift slowly back down...120+ mph...120+ mph...maybe 15-30 seconds between each mph difference...120 mph...119 mph...etc.

Jun 16, 2004 at 1:16 AM Post #8 of 32
Please remember there are other people who use the roads, including cyclists, who may not be apparent when you are travelling at speed
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 16, 2004 at 1:18 AM Post #9 of 32
Hey Jude -

That was a GREAT disclaimer, and follow on note...almost lawyerlike!...

I'm Jealous of the fun...

I gonna have to go to the racetrack...

I need better wheels...

Jun 16, 2004 at 2:27 AM Post #10 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by stymie miasma
Please remember there are other people who use the roads, including cyclists, who may not be apparent when you are travelling at speed
smily_headphones1.gif

I think if you saw where we were, you'd understand how we could do what we did, for as long as we did, and, to the best of my recollection, only see one car (when stopped at an intersection)--a sheriff (no joke).

Rural. Very rural.

[size=xx-small]IMPORTANT: This post is not suggesting that driving recklessly and/or above legally posted speed limits (especially in multiples of legally posted speed limits) is acceptable. In fact, due to the higher likelihood of injury or death while driving recklessly (even on desolate rural roads) and/or above posted speed limits, I expressly recommend never driving in the manner described above, and always recommend that you instead drive no faster than legally posted speed limits.[/size]

Jun 16, 2004 at 2:30 AM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
sounds crazy...
eek.gif

At least they were pro drivers and not complete nutjobs
eek.gif

Well, they're not professional drivers, as neither of these guys has ever been paid to race, but both have had formal training and have raced.

[size=xx-small]EDIT 2007-02-01: Since then, Jack has raced professionally a bit.[/size]

Jun 16, 2004 at 2:36 AM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude
IMPORTANT: This post is not suggesting that driving recklessly and/or above legally posted speed limits (especially in multiples of legally posted speed limits) is acceptable. In fact, due to the higher likelihood of injury or death while driving recklessly and/or above posted speed limits, I expressly recommend never driving in the manner described above, and always recommend that you instead drive no faster than legally posted speed limits.

<<<<Smirk>>>>>

Wow, what a blast. I didn't know JR himself still put the pedal to the metal (except airborne).

I almost got me one of those Roush Mustang jobs, but there is a major negative WAF there--I had to get the "cute" M Roadster instead.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 16, 2004 at 2:56 AM Post #14 of 32
I have to admit that I was doing some really stupid things on public roads and only really stopped when I thought I might get caught. The top-speed runs are extremely dangerous but the road we use is very remote and can only be accessed in one direction. We also know these roads very well and have driven them at high speeds many times. When I filmed my runs in the CTS-V and my Brother's Viper I thought it was cool but looking at the tape I see how dangerous that really was. If you've never driven that fast it's incredible but a single mistake or equipment failure will lead to almost certain death. I mentioned in another thread that I have taken many driving courses,hold Comp licenses in several racing sanctioning bodies,have been a racer most of my life and have my tires x-rayed and heat cycled to assure there are no problems. My Vehicles have been modified or built to travel at these speeds and I think I'm as safe as one could be but I still wouldn't do it again.

Jun 16, 2004 at 3:37 AM Post #15 of 32
Sounds like a great time....although I wasn't sure what to expect when I opened the thread. What with all Fred's talk about nakedness and what not.
eek.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back