very expensive earplugs...
May 13, 2002 at 4:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Redwoood

500+ Head-Fier
...are in my ears right now.
Yep, I did it, bought myself a pair of ER4Ps for my Birthday. You have to treat yourself if nobody else does...
wink.gif

I've been testing them for the last hour now. I think I got a proper seal pretty quickly. The bass is not
earthshaking but it's definitely there, tight & fast.
Still trying to get used to this "there's something in your ears" feeling.. feels awkward.

But boy do they sound good! very very detailed. This is definitely a hear-sometthing-you-haven't heard-before headphone. I'm almost sorry the only source I've got is my good ol' CT570. But even with
that and 60 minutes of burn-in (do etys need a lot of burn-in? probably not, hmm? ) it already sounds amazing...

Ok, I've wasted enough of your time, guys. Just wanted to share my happiness
smily_headphones1.gif

Bye

Redwoood

May 13, 2002 at 6:27 PM Post #2 of 10
Congratulations on your Etys, Redwood....glad you like 'em. But be aware that listening for extended periods of time to Etys somehow diminishes the sound quality of all your other 'phones. At least that's how they affected me. I actually had to wean myself off them so I could once again enjoy my other 'phones. The detail and transparency of those little buggers is amazing. Most other headphones pale in comparison.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2002 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 10
Thanks Joe,
I hope I won't neglect my other 'phones now.
But I can't really imagine this could happen, I find it hard to listen to earbuds for more than 2 hours straight. I usually get a very strange, almost headache-like sensation (shold probably try using some crossfeed). No problems with my Senns, though. Comfort-wise they are hard to beat and I can wear them for hours and hours...

Andrzej,
having a good seal is like being The One (tm) or being in love. Nobody can tell you if you have a good seal (or you're The One (tm) or you're in love).
Once you get/are it you know it...
tongue.gif

But seriously, I think you have to try to get the best possible sound, and if it sounds right and you can hear enough bass, I guess you got it. Don't ask me though, I've only had these for a couple of hours...

Bye

Redwoood

May 13, 2002 at 7:29 PM Post #5 of 10
Hey Redwood:
You are correct sir! If you have bass, the seal is good. If you need isolation, just put them in your ears with no music. I can sleep and ignore my wife at the same time.

May 13, 2002 at 7:45 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
Whats scares me about etys is the fact that, well, how do you know if you have a good seal?

I actually posted a thread about this (called "Knowing if your ety seal is good," I think
wink.gif
). What I do, basically, is put them in just barely far enough, so when I pull on them slightly, I feel the pressure on the eardrum. Wetting the tips before insertion helps with this (for me) immensely. Without it, I have to shove them a lot further in the ear to get a seal, if I can even do it at all.

May 13, 2002 at 8:09 PM Post #7 of 10
Congrats on your gift, and a belated happy birthday!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by Redwood

I hope I won't neglect my other 'phones now.

I find myself having to stop listening to my 4S's so I don't forget that I have some other great headphones. When I travel I take both my Stax and my Etys and make sure that they each get equal headtime.

...but I'm not sick or anything like that.
rolleyes.gif

May 13, 2002 at 8:13 PM Post #8 of 10
I actually find it a relief to switch from my Ety 4S to my Senn600/Cardas -- I appreciate the added bass weight and the more palpable shape of the sound. The Eties are very clean and sound very accurate, but even with a good seal their bass does not compete with the HD600 and the soundstage is quite a bit smaller.

I wish I still had the MS Pro to compare with the Eties as well, but I don't.

May 13, 2002 at 9:36 PM Post #9 of 10
JMT,
thanks man.
These things are just incredible, super-detailed. Right now, I find myself going through my entire
music collection and 'rediscovering' every single song... It's like having a direct line-out->brain
connection.
Can't wait to get home and give them some amplification... and then I need to get some 73 ohm resistors
biggrin.gif

Dan,
yeah I see what you mean, the soundstage is kinda compressed, and the in-your-head-feeling much
stronger than with my other headphones.
Probably takes some time to get used to...

Bye

Redwoood

May 13, 2002 at 9:43 PM Post #10 of 10
Redwoood, I had the impression that my ER-4S needed some hours to burn in - the bass either improved or I got more used to the reproduction after coming back to them.
Oh that bass. Frightening. I never thought headphones could go that deep. While keeping all the detail.
smily_headphones1.gif

... and happy B-Day!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back