Very disappointed with the E4c's
Jul 15, 2005 at 5:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

BIGtrouble77

100+ Head-Fier
So I just finally decided to get a pair of canal phones in the < $300 price range. My brother just got the Ultimate Ears super.fi 5Pro canal phones and I was pretty impressed.

The UE5pro's generally sounded richer and more dynamic than my Bang and Olufson A8 ear phones. BTW, I've had my A8's for many years and absolutely love them. I also apparently have an odd shapped inner ear and have a difficult time gettings buds to fit. Fortunately, the UE5pro had a set of buds that seemed to give me a decent seal.

So I look around to see what people are recommending and buying, and the Shure E4C's are clearly #1. Everyone (that i've noticed) say they are better than the UE5pro's.

After buying the E4C's here's my take:
1. Generally sound good, but distorded guitars can sound VERY tinny and weak. Bass level is perfect for me.
2. The wire is too thick, waaaay too long and just unwieldly. The wire has been so irritating (especially compared to the UE5pro) that I've already gone back to my A8's.
3. The only buds that get a seal are the 3 flange ones, and they just go too deep in my ear canal. It irritates the cilia in my ears. I cut off the 3rd flange and the results are ok, but the seal breakes easily when I'm moving.

Compared to the A8's I have to admit there is a better separation of sounds. But the A8's still feel like there's a stronger presence. Songs that sound pathetically weak on the E4C's sound decent on the A8's. The UE5pro's seemed to have the best of both worlds. I only got to listen to them for about 15 minutes, but I was very impressed. And the wire is absolutely perfect as far as length and thickness.

So now I have to figure out a way to get rid of these E4C's. I don't think they are returnable. Maybe my brother will trade....

BTW, I'm using them with pretty decent equipment:
iAudio X5L (SNR 95 dB)
M-Audio FireWire410

I'm gonna give them some more time to burn in, but I'm not sure I can get around this ultra long/thick wire. Even the jack sticks out nearly an inch. argh.

-BT

Jul 15, 2005 at 5:58 PM Post #2 of 14
The E4's aren't my cup of tea either, but they are one of the better under $200 cans.

As always, make sure the place you buy from has a return policy. I learned the hard way myself with the E3C's.

You can try burning them in, try different flanges, or you can cut your losses early. Since the E4's are high in demand, it's better just to sell them off and get the ones you really want...the SF5Pros.

Jul 15, 2005 at 6:01 PM Post #3 of 14
Have you tried the foam tips? Generally it's pretty easy to get decent seal with those and after trying all the different tips and modifying some tri-flanges I think the foamies offer the best overall sound. That said you just may not be able to get a good seal with the E4's or they may not be your cup of tea.

If you can't return them and your brother doesn't want to trade you could always try selling them here in the Gear For Sale forum, you'll probably lose a bit on the sale but it shouldn't be too bad.

I don't think burn-in is supposed to have a great effect on the Shures, if anything I noticed they smoothed out a bit after some use but no tremendous changes.

Jul 15, 2005 at 6:20 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
I think the foamies offer the best overall sound.

I just tried the foam ones again and they are actually a little better than my modded tri-flange ones. I'm just impatient as they take a little longer to settle.

I just looked at my receipt and I can return them for a 20% restock fee. So i'm gonna get hit for about $40. Not sure what I'm gonna do yet...

Thanks,
-BT

Jul 15, 2005 at 6:31 PM Post #6 of 14
Other than the length of the wire (which is a preference thing) is your problem with the wires that they don't stay tucked behind your ear? That's the problem i have with them.
-Dan

Jul 15, 2005 at 6:42 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dwc
Other than the length of the wire (which is a preference thing) is your problem with the wires that they don't stay tucked behind your ear? That's the problem i have with them.
-Dan

Actually, even though I'm 6'4" I have very small ears so I can't tuck the wires behind. Also, I have an uncanny ability to wiggle my ears, and I find I do it all the time, when I'm talking, eating, etc. So getting anything to stick in them is a chore. The only reason the A8's work well is 'cause I can clamp them on.

Forgot to add that I don't like keeping a wad of wire in my pocket when I'm walking around.

-BT

Jul 15, 2005 at 6:49 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGtrouble77
Actually, even though I'm 6'4" I have very small ears so I can't tuck the wires behind. Also, I have an uncanny ability to wiggle my ears, and I find I do it all the time, when I'm talking, eating, etc. So getting anything to stick in them is a chore. The only reason the A8's work well is 'cause I can clamp them on.

Forgot to add that I don't like keeping a wad of wire in my pocket when I'm walking around.

-BT

You may want to try the earhugger mod accesory used for the ER4.

Jul 15, 2005 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
The E4's aren't my cup of tea either, but they are one of the better under $200 cans.

As always, make sure the place you buy from has a return policy. I learned the hard way myself with the E3C's.

warpdriver, what didn't you like about the E3C's? Were they similar to the E4's?

Jul 15, 2005 at 8:10 PM Post #10 of 14
I'm not sure if it's the foam buds or that they finally burned in a little(the highs aren't tinny anymore) but the sound is really nice now (been letting them play the whole morning and afternoon). The few songs that sounded horrible when I first tried the headphones sound pretty nice now.

I think I'm getting a much better seal using the foam buds because I had to turn the bass quite a bit down. The sound isn't so harsh anymore, at least to my ears.

Jul 15, 2005 at 8:17 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGtrouble77
I'm not sure if it's the foam buds or that they finally burned in a little(the highs aren't tinny anymore) but the sound is really nice now (been letting them play the whole morning and afternoon). The few songs that sounded horrible when I first tried the headphones sound pretty nice now.

I think I'm getting a much better seal using the foam buds because I had to turn the bass quite a bit down. The sound isn't so harsh anymore, at least to my ears.

hehe sounds like what I went through with them... burn-in or psychological adjustment... whatever... but it definately got better with time and a switch to the foam tips. I really love the E4 now.
biggrin.gif

Jul 15, 2005 at 8:20 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
warpdriver, what didn't you like about the E3C's? Were they similar to the E4's?

Highs were too recessed. The E4 is an improvement in that regard.

Jul 15, 2005 at 11:26 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by a5ianz
the B&O A8's aren't nearly as good as the Shure e4c's. the A8's have really bright highs and the sound quality isn't as clear

I agree that they are not quite as good, but they are not that far off. They are also much more comfortable and easier to put on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back