Very cool running amp for a desktop?
Aug 7, 2015 at 12:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

rgs9200m

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking for suggestions for a very cool-running high end desktop amp for a desktop where the amp is very near you and you don't want it to generate much heat at all? Thanks.

Aug 7, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #2 of 10
Budget?

Aug 7, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #4 of 10
This may not help, since you're looking for a higher-end amp, but when I owned the Schiit Magni 2 Uber, I thought it barely got warm at all. It has more than enough power for the headphones you have. Then there's the issue of "quality" beyond sheer output power. Many people say certain high-end amps sound better, even when they have lower output power. The reasons for this are unclear, but it seems to be related to the design of the amp. Anyway, since the M2U is so cheap, I would recommend comparing it side by side with a high-end amp, to hear directly what differences there are. The only high-end amps I've used are the MOON Neo 430HA and Sennheiser HDVD 800, with the Abyss, HE1000, HE-6, and HD 800. Both amp/DACs sounded about the same to me. Although they are not listed on your profile, it seems you're also into electrostats. As I'm sure you know, those amps are a lot more complex. I believe even all the lower-end electrostatic amps (like the one I have) are Class A.

Aug 7, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #6 of 10
  Thanks for that. I appreciate all that good info. 

You already have some seriously high-end amps, though. (I think I even read a post about how you own a Mjölnir KGSSHV Carbon. Correct me if I'm mistaken.) So do all of them get so hot that they increase your body heat to an uncomfortable level with normal use? Are you looking for a new, cooler system to use away from some of your other systems? Or perhaps something to replace them?

Aug 8, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #10 of 10
Benchmark AHB2, I got one for sale.

http://www.goodsound.com/index.php/equipment-reviews/643-benchmark-media-systems-ahb2-stereo-mono-amplifier

Better than a $6000+ pure class A amp that I also have for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back