very confused about source
Jun 23, 2008 at 10:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

^adm^

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking to buy a dac / amp (can be seperate) or a usb soundcard just for using with my alessandro ms1.

I went through alien dac + pint find it a little harsh on treble (not a good couple with ms1) and sold them, e-mu 0202 usb was quite what i like indeed but i spoiled it while replacing its usb connector (i should have use it like you were using it Scott
redface.gif
) now i am searching for a source preferably powered by usb but it doesnt matter so much.

Have 150$ budget, spdif out.

Help me out guys, thanks for reading.

Jun 24, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by ^adm^ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am looking to buy a dac / amp (can be seperate) or a usb soundcard just for using with my alessandro ms1.

I went through alien dac + pint find it a little harsh on treble (not a good couple with ms1) and sold them, e-mu 0202 usb was quite what i like indeed but i spoiled it while replacing its usb connector (i should have use it like you were using it Scott
redface.gif
) now i am searching for a source preferably powered by usb but it doesnt matter so much.

The iBasso D2 Boa seems to be exactly what you're looking for. It's around $160, but it's a very good DAC/amp combo.

Jun 25, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by ^adm^ /img/forum/go_quote.gif

redface.gif

Hey, Firefly. I have a Trends UD-10 digital transport that I bought to convert USB to coax or optical on the way to my digital receiver. Then I discovered the DAC in the thing. It really sounds good. I use it as a DAC only, with an amp, but it has a headphone jack on the front of it. Just for giggles, I just unplugged from my amp and plugged straight into it. It sounds good. A little weak in the bass without the amp, but I'm trying to drive Senn HD580s with it, using no power supply but USB. It is doing fine. It would probably do a great job with Alessandros. Do a search on the internet. You'll find universally high ratings. $140 not only gets you a USB DAC/Amp, it sets you up to upgrade with any kind of digital connection you will ever need. It goes USB to coax, optical, AES. And it is a deadly quiet, very well-engineered little piece that keeps everything on separate grounds and paths, where they belong.

USB Audio Converter Description

The only drawback I can see, if you have efficient phones, is you have to control the volume from the PC. Oh yeah, and another $18 gets you a rechargeable battery power supply that reportedly refines the detail and expands the soundstage. Best $140 I've spent in a long time.

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back