"Very Best" DJ Headphone <$500?
Jun 17, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #46 of 93
 Very interesting that all frequencies are recessed on the Majors, I've never seen that before, any other cans out like that?

Jun 17, 2013 at 6:59 AM Post #47 of 93
Good conversation about the Marshall Major FX 50's ... they're no longer being sold by Marshall directly. They are being sold on amazon (is that a good place to buy them?), but not on Amazon Canada.

I might have to work around that, and by what you're saying here, inthere, they're very good for home audiophile. Thank you. What I would like  to know, however, is frequency response and electronic music.

Frequency response is a huge factor because electronic music has frequencies which go lower and higher than rock music, which the Marshall Major FX 50's are made for (Marshall is a guitar company, and the FX's resemble guitar amps, so there something to be said about that). 

I've just gone through all recommendations, looking at the frequency responses, and I can see Allen and Heath XD2-53, which has 13 mm wider  drivers than the Major Marshall FX 50's also has a much broader frequency range, from 5 Hz, not 20 Hz, to 33,000 Hz, not 20,000. The V Moda M100's are 5 Hz-30,000, which other headphones also do, such as the Pioneer's. the BeyerdynamicDT1350, AKG K267, SURE750, AKG K181, Sony V6,  have these frequency responses too.

Given my enjoyment of electronic music, plus how the Marshall Major FX50's ...  don't get the lowest lows and the highest highs ... how am to understand this recommendation of the Marshall Major FX50? Shouldn't I just purchase instead the XD2-53', or perhaps the ATH ProMK2 (see below)?

other frequency response:
Ultrasone DJ Pro 900 6-42,000Hz (WOW!!!! ... but with $500 price tag?! :\)
ATH Pro700Mk2, 5-35,000 Hz (TOO MUCH BASS?! :\)
Sony MDR-v55 5-25,000Hz
Sure840 5-25,000Hz
Ultrasone DJ1 Pro, 10-22,000Hz
Audio Technica M50 15-28,000Hz
AKG K518 16-24,000Hz
AKG K81 16-21,000Hz
Senheisser HD-25 ii, 16-22,000Hz
Maestro gmp 8.35d 20-27,400Hz
aiaiai tma-1 20-20,000Hz
dre mixr 20-20,000Hz

... any thoughts?

Jun 17, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #48 of 93
Good conversation about the Marshall Major FX 50's ... they're no longer being sold by Marshall directly. They are being sold on amazon (is that a good place to buy them?), but not on Amazon Canada.

I might have to work around that, and by what you're saying here, inthere, they're very good for home audiophile. Thank you. What I would like  to know, however, is frequency response and electronic music.

Frequency response is a huge factor because electronic music has frequencies which go lower and higher than rock music, which the Marshall Major FX 50's are made for (Marshall is a guitar company, and the FX's resemble guitar amps, so there something to be said about that). 

I've just gone through all recommendations, looking at the frequency responses, and I can see Allen and Heath XD2-53, which has 13 mm wider  drivers than the Major Marshall FX 50's also has a much broader frequency range, from 5 Hz, not 20 Hz, to 33,000 Hz, not 20,000. The V Moda M100's are 5 Hz-30,000, which other headphones also do, such as the Pioneer's. the BeyerdynamicDT1350, AKG K267, SURE750, AKG K181, Sony V6,  have these frequency responses too.

Given my enjoyment of electronic music, plus how the Marshall Major FX50's ...  don't get the lowest lows and the highest highs ... how am to understand this recommendation of the Marshall Major FX50? Shouldn't I just purchase instead the XD2-53', or perhaps the ATH ProMK2 (see below)?

Sony MDR-v55 5-25,000Hz
Sure840 5-25,000Hz
AKG K518 16-24,000Hz
AKG K81 16-21,000Hz

aiaiai tma-1 20-20,000Hz
dre mixr 20-20,000Hz

... any thoughts?

One comment. The Pro900 can be found on Amazon regularly used/refurbed for around $250. I paid $236 - my best deal for sure.

Jun 17, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #49 of 93
Quote:

Sony MDR-v55 5-25,000Hz
Sure840 5-25,000Hz
AKG K518 16-24,000Hz
AKG K81 16-21,000Hz
aiaiai tma-1 20-20,000Hz
dre mixr 20-20,000Hz

... any thoughts?

Frequency range mean nothing when you go wider than 20-20k. The PRO900 should only be worth $350 new. Frequency response is the lines on a graph that looks kind of like a screenshot of a RTA display.

See here: http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-data-sheet-downloads

Jun 17, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #50 of 93
For DJ'ing I'm a huge fan of the M100's. The amount of bass they provide along with treble means you can pick up your queue beat that much easier as you're setting up your next song or getting a blend going. The M100s are also extremely well built, durable, and have a nice amount of flair not to mention the opportunity to show your own branding with the custome shields

Also FWIW the the Beats MIXR are very durable, well made have decent bass response and treble clarity. You can pretty much throw these at a brick wall and keep rolling.

Neither of these are audiophile type headphones but they are EXCELLENT for DJ'ing, blending and keeping the party rocking. And that's what you definitely want in a loud environment.

Jun 17, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #51 of 93
Quote:

Sony MDR-v55 5-25,000Hz
Sure840 5-25,000Hz
AKG K518 16-24,000Hz
AKG K81 16-21,000Hz
aiaiai tma-1 20-20,000Hz
dre mixr 20-20,000Hz

... any thoughts?

Frequency response is very different from frequency range bro. Pay no attention to frequency range and focus on frequency response, which is the graphs I posted earlier. The Ultrasone Pro 900, even though the frequency range says 6hz, the frequency response says it starts rolling off bass at 30hz; by the time you get to 6hz, the bass frequency response on the 900's is -15db, while the Marshall Majors get a boost. 

In fact, if you look at frequency response instead of frequency range for all those cans, you'll see that the Marshalls are extending bass lower and treble higher than every pair of headphones on your list. 

Jun 18, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #52 of 93
Awesome! And thanks for calling it as it is, inthere ... little do I know.

Those Marshall Major's FX 50's are the best home audiophile, right! I'm wondering about two things, though .... which makes that statement "tentative," sorry ...

First, I saw a video review (or perhaps more like an add) that said "they're are headphones for edm now there's one for rock" and then they show a Marty McFly character falling down after playing his guitar because of the awesomeness of the Marshall Major's, in homage to the opening seen of the first Back to the Future movie.

I wonder if that contrast should be taken into consideration "edm vs rock..." but what I'm reading, I'm thinking no because you acclaim them as better than any other edm headphone.

Two, how do the Marshall Major FX 50's compare with Philips Fidelio X with it's "response at 70Hz is 10dB higher than at 1kHz, and the response at 25Hz is at the same level as 1kHz" as Tyll Hertsens explains.

... I apologize if the Marshall are answers are for me to learn on my own, but I don't know too much about graphs, specs, headphones in general but would like the best for home audiophile ...I believe it's the Marshall Major's; but the Philips Fidelio X is on the wall of fame and Tyll has reviewed so many, but not the Marshall Major FX 50's ... I would like to invest with confidence!

There's two things I would like to learn, which is why I need to find the right headphones: to learn a lot more tracks in the genres of music cited above, which shall take extended periods of discovery, and how to mix them on the ddj sx.

I haven't gotten to that point yet because all I've got going is a lousy pc speakers running from my laptop which have no amplifier with the sx connected into the microphone jack, making this very backwards .... I need a serious upgrade, and I would like to upgrade, seriously. Thanks, as always. :)

Tweakings

Jun 18, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #54 of 93
I haven't looked into monitors just yet. Just sorting things out piece by piece. And I think I got somethings backwards, kind of like the eyes are bigger than the belly. After buying the controller, I researched loud speaker design... I was trying to get somewhere faster than how my legs could take me.

Now I'm researching headphones, I didn't know about monitors because I'm very new to this. I'll need to research both headphones and monitors.

Jun 18, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #55 of 93
Also, I thought at the start of my headphone research that it would be smarter to have headphones instead of monitors. I am living as a volunteer intern in a house run by charity and there are people here who struggle with difficulties which may lead to theft and the misuse of money. If I have a loud set of speakers (monitors) and begin playing music even relatively loudly or for an extended period of time, and if someone would discover monitors up here who is in difficult times, which sometimes is the case, and they were their desire to find a way out of their problems (temporarily) would be stronger than their friendship with me, which sometimes might be the case, because stuff happens and people do make mistakes, although everyone here is a good person, then I would only have myself to blame.

That's why I thought headphones would be better researched first so that I could listen and practice in relative silence. Is this okay? I mean, are headphones without monitors okay to practicing mixing? I'm starting to think not because I'll need to hear music from two sources: constant (monitor) and channels (headphones).

If this is true, would it be permissible in this thread to give me advice on monitors or at least give me leads to where I can search myself, or possibly another forum? If it's not a topic of conversation for head-fi, I understand due to nature of forums, I shall do the monitor research elsewhere ...

So, how about those Marshall's and Philips'?? How about those German Maestro's? :)

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #56 of 93
Ah, well in that case I would definitely go with just headphones then. Pick one of the options mentioned here and and grab something like the Focusrite VRMbox to simulate speakers, and that'll be a good start. 

Jun 19, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #57 of 93
Quote:

Those Marshall Major's FX 50's are the best home audiophile, right! I'm wondering about two things, though .... which makes that statement "tentative," sorry ...

Tweakings

Wouldn't say the Marshall Majors are the best for home audiophile. The Majors excel at portable listening with iPods/iPhones. and listening without a headphone amp. They are great for EDM. 

For a home audiophile system I would recommend open cans.

Jun 19, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #58 of 93
Quote:

Wouldn't say the Marshall Majors are the best for home audiophile. The Majors excel at portable listening with iPods/iPhones. and listening without a headphone amp. They are great for EDM. 

For a home audiophile system I would recommend open cans.

I may have made a mistake when I said home audiophile. What I meant was that it seems that the Majors are best at home listening to EDM? That's what I'm looking for, for now. Perhaps the Philips' would be better for home audiophile: EDM? I would prefer to have a set up without headphone amp ... so I'm thinking it's right, Marshall Major's are the way to go. Could be wrong though.
confused.gif

Later, the V Moda's M100 for DJing.

... I apologize if I seemed odd yesterday with my previous posts; I shall stay on topic. 
wink.gif

Thanks, as always;
Tweakings.

Jun 19, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #59 of 93
Quote:
Ah, well in that case I would definitely go with just headphones then. Pick one of the options mentioned here and and grab something like the Focusrite VRMbox to simulate speakers, and that'll be a good start. 

Thank you, Armaegis. This program will give me time to save up for some good monitors. 
smile.gif

Jun 19, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #60 of 93
Do you require isolation for home listening? Open headphones generally have more balanced sound, but if you're in a shared home setting which might be noisy, isolation will allow you to better hear your music and not disturb others if the house is quiet. 

What's your budget?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back