Very Best Amps for Sony CD3000?
Apr 11, 2005 at 5:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Yada

New Head-Fier
What are the best amps for the Sony CD3000? What will show off their strengths, fix their weaknesses, and generally make them reach their fullest potential? I'm open to either solid state or tube amps.

Thanks!!

Apr 11, 2005 at 7:54 AM Post #3 of 10
My favorite amp for them (that I auditioned) was the Ray Samuels Stealth, which probably sounds quite similar to his new Raptor. The Singlepower Maestro and MPX3 were also quite nice (I think it likes tubes). Stay away from the Perreaux SXH1 (total crud) and the Benchmark DAC1 (too bright). I found the bass to be too loose with the Singlepower Supra, but otherwise it was quite nice.

Apr 11, 2005 at 8:30 AM Post #4 of 10
Did you mean that the CD3K likes tubes?
You seemed to think that the Supra wasn't quite right - but the MPX3 was good?

Any reason not to go with the MPX3 for the CD3ks? (After that, it get's hard to justify...)

Any amps out there that would sound as good or better wiht the CD3Ks than the MPX3 for the same or less money?

Thanks

Apr 11, 2005 at 8:34 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yada
Did you mean that the CD3K likes tubes?
You seemed to think that the Supra wasn't quite right - but the MPX3 was good?

Any reason not to go with the MPX3 for the CD3ks? (After that, it get's hard to justify...)

Any amps out there that would sound as good or better wiht the CD3Ks than the MPX3 for the same or less money?

Thanks

Hmm well I am just going off what I heard at a meet, but the PPX3 and Supra sounded a bit too tubey, whereas the Maestro and MPX3 did a better job balancing tubiness and detail. I found that the tube amps helped soften up the treble a bit, and give some more life to the midrange.

Apr 11, 2005 at 11:55 AM Post #6 of 10
In my experience, I find the Earmax Pro to be a very musical match to the CD3K.
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2005 at 12:49 PM Post #7 of 10
The best amps I have heard for the CD3000 are all solid state high current amps, I love my PPA.....

Apr 11, 2005 at 3:36 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Hmm well I am just going off what I heard at a meet, but the PPX3 and Supra sounded a bit too tubey, whereas the Maestro and MPX3 did a better job balancing tubiness and detail. I found that the tube amps helped soften up the treble a bit, and give some more life to the midrange.

The Supra and the MPX3 have a very similar sound. They differ in refinement and dynamics. What I think you probably heard is a difference in the sound of specific tubes or maybe to a lesser extent the specific options that were in those amps.

I think the MPX3 is a nice match, but I also like the Earmax Pro a lot with the CD3000.

I agree, the Perreaux sucks with the CD3k (holy brightness!). The only solid state amp I have enjoyed this headphone with is the Sugden Headmaster, which was very smooth in the high end but a bit flabby in the bass.

Apr 11, 2005 at 3:45 PM Post #9 of 10
Apr 11, 2005 at 4:51 PM Post #10 of 10
I would agree with Iron Dreamer on the pairing of the Stealth and the CD3000 as I'm currently running this set up. With stock 6SN7 tubes and a Telefunken 12AU7 the CD3K's sounds heavenly to me and doesn't soften up the sound at all. Bass is nice and tight with good speed, mids are full and rich, and highs not at all bright but crisp and just right for my listening needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back