Very Best Amp for Sony CD3000?
Apr 11, 2005 at 5:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Yada

New Head-Fier
What are the very best amps for Sony CD3000 headhphones? I'm looking for great extension (high and low) and great tonal balance from top to bottom with open/airy/transparent midrange and highs, high definition and detail without being harsh, and great imaging side to side and front to back. I'm open to either solid state or tube amps.

Thanks!!

Apr 11, 2005 at 3:24 PM Post #2 of 9
i like my HA-1 MkII with my pair of CD3k's. i should be recieving my Singlepower PPX3 this afternoon, so i'll be able to report on their synergy with the CD3k's in a couple days.

Apr 11, 2005 at 3:28 PM Post #3 of 9
I used my CD3k's with the Moth 2A3 amp. However, if there is any correlation between the CD3k and SA5k then I would suggest the Veda Audio Dynahi. Again, I haven't heard the two together but owned the CD3k and have read some comparisons with the SA5k. I've read that Sovkiller is very happy with his ppa and the CD3k's. I am sure he will chime in soon.

Apr 11, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #4 of 9
Headroom Max with stepped attenuator should fit that bill. Although Max is solid-state amp, it has fairly organic sonic signature (not too cold) with great high/low extensions. CD3K is known for picking up noises for less than perfect amps, but Max makes CD3k absolutely dead silient from background hiss/noise (assuming your source is descent, you won't hear any noises).

Apr 12, 2005 at 4:53 AM Post #8 of 9
As a longtime CD3000 advocate, I have literally listened to them on almost every amp out there. I honestly feel that tubed amplifiers are optimum for these cans, as they smooth out the wee bit of brightness they exhibit. I also feel that they balance the CD3000's overall character better than solid state amps. The solid state amps, even some very, very good ones, always make the CD3000's sound a bit harsh in portions of the dynamic range in comparison to a good tubed amp. The best I have ever heard the CD3000's was on the following amps, in general order of ranking, top to bottom:

Jude's now departed but still legendary ASL Twinhead MkII (aka The CES Ringer Amp)

Moth Si2a3H

Cary SLI-80 Signature

Berning Micro ZOTL

JC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back