Vertere D-Fi vs Amazon basic USB Cable
Jun 30, 2013 at 7:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

GSARider

2013 London, UK meet organiser
Okay, curiousiy finally got the better of me, so I tried the Vertere D-Fi USB Cable to use with my HDVD800 connecting to my MBPR running Audioirvana with either ALAC or FLAC Files. Cans used - HD800's. tested against my Amazon basics cable, I can't tell a blind bit of difference, no matter what tracks I tried back to back. Nice enough looking cable, but I cannot detect any sonic advantage. I can't figure how the likes off what hi-fi in the UK rave about it so much.

I think my equipment is good enough to be able to detect an audible difference, if there is one. I'd be surprised if anyone else can, as I've had three volunteers to try it also with the same result - one is an audio engineer. All I can think of is that others who say they can hear a difference, perhaps they had a defective cable in the first place and the D-Fi does sound better.

Conclusion: Not worth the upgrade, except for aesthetic reasons for a nicer cable.

Jun 30, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #2 of 4
beerchug.gif

Jul 1, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
I can't figure how the likes off what hi-fi in the UK rave about it so much.

The technical specifications for the D-Fi say it all! [tech specs]

Thanks for an honest assessment GSARider!

Cheers

Jul 1, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #4 of 4
I've bought cables purely for aesthetics before, but only got them used from some disenchanted listener selling them at less than a 10th of the price. Or those Monoprice 3.5mm to RCA cables - I normally don't like shiny stuff but damn those looked neat, and got them for less than $8 too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back