Versatile unamped (for now) headphones around 100 €
Oct 17, 2008 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Pugaciov

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I've owned a pair of HD201 for more than 3 years, but they're quite damaged now and I need an upgrade.
I'm currently listening from the integrated soundcard (Realtek HD889A), but I'm planning to buy a decent card or even an USB DAC maybe.
I truly listen to everything, from ambient to noise and post-hardcore with every form of electronic, industrial, rock and metal in between.
I will also use the 'phones for watching movies and a little gaming.

Isolation is not a problem, so I guess I should look for a very versatile open headphone that will sound good unamped and will maybe improve with an amp\DAC; I don't mind buying abroad (here in Italy I can only find Sennheisers and AKGs at "reasonable" prices), but I'd prefer to buy within the EU.

At the moment I'm only considering Sennheiser HD555 and Audio Technica ATH-AD700 (this is quite on the edge of my budget, 79.99 £ at amazon.co.uk).

Any suggetion will be appreciated.

Regards

Oct 19, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #2 of 6
Anybody?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 19, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AD700 and HD555 are popular choices except for bass heavy electronica. Most here who have compared the two, favor the AD700. I would probably go for the Denon D1001 instead, and optionally mod and re-cable.

I recommend the HotUSB1 for your USB DAC/amp.

Thank you for your suggestions.
The Denon seems interesting, but is it considered a good all-arounder? How does it sounds compared to 555s and AD700s?

Unfortunetely anyway, untill now I've only found it at 130 €, which is an outrageous price, exactly the double of the U.S. price (around 80 bucks if I'm not wrong).
I will be more than happy to consider these 'phones, as long as I find them at a reasonable price within EU...

Oct 20, 2008 at 2:03 AM Post #5 of 6
I think you'll be missing out on a lot of fun bass with the AD700 and HD555; they are all arounders without enough bass. The D1001 is reported to scale well with amping, and can be modded and re-cabled for additional improvements. As such, it should serve you well for your all around needs. If not modded or amped, the D1001 may or may not be worth the extra money to you.

Oct 20, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #6 of 6
The HD555 and AD700 are the best open all rounders at that price point. The AD700 is the better of the 2 though (I had the HD555 but sold it after I got the AD700). The bass on these 2 headphones is really source dependent. They can sound lacking on some sources. You could also consider the Alessandro MS-1 but it wont do as well for movies, games, and music that requires soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back