Versatile Portable
Dec 31, 2006 at 4:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Willchester

New Head-Fier
I've been lurking here for a few weeks now and based on my searches I picked up some senn 595's and VModa Vibes. The 595's will be used a lot for gaming with my Elite Pro. I got the 595's because they seemed to be among the best open gaming cans according to comments on these forums. I also use the 595's with my ipod nano when I'm home and I'm well, WOW. First quality headphone experience for me. I'm still checking out the Vibes, not sure on them yet and may go to UM2. I'm keeping the 595's though.

Anyway, I'm looking for a good portable amp and I'm leaning towards the Headroom Micro. It looks to be a good versatile dual use portable/home amp to me. I'm also interested in the crossfeed feature. I hear it helps the 595's base a little and maybe I'll find it useful for its intended purpose as well. As you can see, I want my little amp to fill a lot of different roles. Maybe I'm asking too much but this is what I want to try to do.

What other amps should I consider?

I also need help picking a ipod dock from ALO. I like the looks of the cotton, silk and Jumbo Silver but those may not be practical for bass, if that is true, and compact ruggedness. Thoughts on that too please.

Thanks, you guys have a great forum here.

Jan 2, 2007 at 8:14 AM Post #4 of 7
ALO: Probably any of the copper based docks should work. I currently am using a Copper Dock (the cheapest at ALO) and it's built incredibly well, and flexible (especially with how I treat it... 8|)

-The Grinman
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2007 at 8:17 AM Post #5 of 7
I have a pair of 595s also, and in the market for an amp. I have been concidering a Go-Vibe. I have been reading a lot of posts and they seem like it would be a good pickup. Now I am just wondering if it will support higher impedance phones like 650s if i want to upgrade.

Jan 2, 2007 at 9:15 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Willchester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway, I'm looking for a good portable amp and I'm leaning towards the Headroom Micro. It looks to be a good versatile dual use portable/home amp to me. I'm also interested in the crossfeed feature. I hear it helps the 595's base a little and maybe I'll find it useful for its intended purpose as well. As you can see, I want my little amp to fill a lot of different roles. Maybe I'm asking too much but this is what I want to try to do.

What other amps should I consider?

You sound like a perfect candidate for enjoying the new, Micro Amp -alike in circuit topology, or perhaps even better, crossfeed-equipped, Xenos 1HA-EPC (or the cheaper version -EPT which shouldn't give up any much performance). Should pair perfectly with the HD595.

Jan 2, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #7 of 7
I got a Micro Amp especially for its flexibility: the crossfeed is great and I wouldn't buy a headphone amp without crossfeed after hearing it. It's also cute as hell (well, maybe not as cute as a Tomahawk ...) and you can buy the Micro DAC when you're ready.

I use it with the Jena Cryo LOD and I'm not making any special claims for it, but it sounds fine to me. The basic copper one might sound as good - it's certainly not a bad choice by any means - but I'd certainly recommend the Jena Cryo for audiophile peace of mind. ALO are so good to deal with that I wouldn't trouble myself with comparing products from other suppliers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back