Versatile MS-1 Alternative for Metal, with less leakage?
Jun 23, 2008 at 11:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

yuletide

New Head-Fier
Hey, I was on here last year searching for a solution to my headphonecrisis and came away with marshmallows and a pair of ksc75s, which were recently snagged during an office break-in. Luckily, my boss is quite willing to upgrade my headphones, and so I'm back in the market...

Not sure exactly what the budget is, but I'm aiming for under $100
I was inclined to just go for the SR-60 at first, then the MS-1 once I read about its improved bass and otherwise response, especially since my primary genre of choice is METAL. I felt the KSC75's sounded good, but the bass wasn't so great, neither deep nor well-defined. Also, it started buzzing after a few months :frowning2:

HOWEVER, I'm worried that using the MS-1's or SR-60's in a public environment such as an office or library would be disruptive... how realistic is this? Is it worth it anyways? :) If not, what's a good replacement?

For cheap, I was tempted to go for the porta-pro, but I'm hesitant. Maybe some other closed headphone? Portability is important, but just one factor to take into consideration (i.e. may be outweighed by sound quality etc), since I pretty much carry them with me everywhere in a bag or whatnot.

CONCLUSION: Lost my KSC-75's. Looking to upgrade. Looking for all-purpose phones for travel/library/office whatever, and I listen to METAL primarily and am sensitive to listening fatigue, so harsh trebles are a dealbreaker. Bass response is also important. IEM's ok, but I don't want total isolation... any advice?

Jun 24, 2008 at 4:08 AM Post #3 of 4
Thx for the link, sound like great cans, but I fear they are all too big for my needs... since I'm going to be lugging them around everywhere. Maybe an unrealistic set of demands? but the portas seem to be the low-end satisfier. For higher end stuff the obvious answer for sound quality + portability = IEM's...

As for the grado's, what about in a library? With someone studying a few yards away?

I guess the answers I'm looking for are either:
a) Buy the porta pros! They rule!
b) Buy the ms-1 or grados! They are t3h shiz and the library kidz will deal or be flattened by your wall of sound leakage :) Not a bad option... Besides, I can always buy some ksc-75's for library use (since the company is paying for these)
c) Some other pair I haven't heard of or at least named here... (other IEM's, Senn PX100 or whatever, etc...)

The more I read about the MS-1's the more I'm tempted to just get those and figure the rest out as I get to it, and enjoy the sound in the meantime. I have yet to have a really decent listening experience involving metal and an output device that wasn't my stereo... (especially as far as bass is concerned!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back