versatile IEM´s under 150$?
Dec 28, 2020 at 12:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Martiniii

New Head-Fier
Hello, I have spent a lot of time searching for an IEM. But because I´m new to this and don´t have much experience, I can´t decide which IEM are worthy.
I am using headphones all the time, for my daily commute, when playing games, watching movies, but mostly listening to music(rock, softrock, rap)(Sting, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Mettalica, U2, Pink Floyd, Depeche mode, Linkin Park, Green Day.....)

Currently using Klipsch T5M wired , I like how they sound, but going to return them because their cable noise. I used to have soundMAGIC E50, but compared to Klipsch they weren´t as clear and sharp. Before that I had JBL reflect mini, too much bass for my all day use.

So am looking for something versatile, with good insulation, which I can use all day.
I´m listening directly from my smartphone or laptop.
Something at the level of Shure se215, when it comes to insulating ambient noise and their style. But with better sound.
My budget is 150$.

few IEM´s which I am considering more because I know the manufacturer
Shure se215
sennheiser ie 40 pro

few IEM´s which I am considering based on reviews
fiio fh1s
iBasso IT01 - bit hard to get hands on these, I found them only on ebay at acceptable price. Amazon.de has them for 180euro
and I was also looking at these, bit pricey for me, but they look fabulous and they have very good reviews, so if anyone can recommend
THIEAUDIO Legacy 4 , I dont like the way how L3 look and 50$ for costomization. I will better get L4´s. If they can fulfill my needs and will work for let´s say at least 2 years than I´m willing to put bit more money in.

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #2 of 12
L4 is a good option. There is also the FiiO FH3, which has good isolation, but not as much as the Shure IEMs. For maximum isolation, if you can get used to the fit, there is the Etymotic ER2XR.

Dec 28, 2020 at 12:54 PM Post #3 of 12
Oh, there is also the Shozy Form 1.1, if you like potent bass. It has quite good isolation, probably similar levels to the FH3, not quite of the level of Shure, but isolation is also very ear tip dependent.

Dec 28, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #4 of 12
Thanks for your reply. Now I´m deciding between Shure se215, FiiO FH3 and THIEAUDIO Legacy 4. But probably going end up with the L4, I really love how they look and I can´t find anybody saying something bad about them, so there isn´t anything pulling me back apart from the price. Which I think is reasonable. I used to look at sony´s WF-1000XM3 , the true wireless ones, and think they are the best headphones for around that price. But I think these are going to be way better.

Dec 28, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #5 of 12
Thanks for your reply. Now I´m deciding between Shure se215, FiiO FH3 and THIEAUDIO Legacy 4. But probably going end up with the L4, I really love how they look and I can´t find anybody saying something bad about them, so there isn´t anything pulling me back apart from the price. Which I think is reasonable. I used to look at sony´s WF-1000XM3 , the true wireless ones, and think they are the best headphones for around that price. But I think these are going to be way better.
I’m pretty sure you will be very pleased with the L4, unless you have significant treble sensitivities.

Dec 28, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #6 of 12
Hello, I have spent a lot of time searching for an IEM. But because I´m new to this and don´t have much experience, I can´t decide which IEM are worthy.
I am using headphones all the time, for my daily commute, when playing games, watching movies, but mostly listening to music(rock, softrock, rap)(Sting, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Mettalica, U2, Pink Floyd, Depeche mode, Linkin Park, Green Day.....)

Currently using Klipsch T5M wired , I like how they sound, but going to return them because their cable noise. I used to have soundMAGIC E50, but compared to Klipsch they weren´t as clear and sharp. Before that I had JBL reflect mini, too much bass for my all day use.

So am looking for something versatile, with good insulation, which I can use all day.
I´m listening directly from my smartphone or laptop.
Something at the level of Shure se215, when it comes to insulating ambient noise and their style. But with better sound.
My budget is 150$.

few IEM´s which I am considering more because I know the manufacturer
Shure se215
sennheiser ie 40 pro

few IEM´s which I am considering based on reviews
fiio fh1s
iBasso IT01 - bit hard to get hands on these, I found them only on ebay at acceptable price. Amazon.de has them for 180euro
and I was also looking at these, bit pricey for me, but they look fabulous and they have very good reviews, so if anyone can recommend
THIEAUDIO Legacy 4 , I dont like the way how L3 look and 50$ for costomization. I will better get L4´s. If they can fulfill my needs and will work for let´s say at least 2 years than I´m willing to put bit more money in.

Thank you in advance

A versatile set to consider would be the TRI Starsea. It has 4 tuning options from V shaped to U shaped to neutralish. Very good isolation and fit, excellent technicalities.
It can sound quite reference like and would even make a good stage/studio monitor.

One thing to note that because of the very low 9ish impedance, it fairs better with sources with as low output impedance as possible, ideally < 1 ohm.

Dec 29, 2020 at 4:18 AM Post #7 of 12
A versatile set to consider would be the TRI Starsea. It has 4 tuning options from V shaped to U shaped to neutralish. Very good isolation and fit, excellent technicalities.
It can sound quite reference like and would even make a good stage/studio monitor.

One thing to note that because of the very low 9ish impedance, it fairs better with sources with as low output impedance as possible, ideally < 1 ohm.
Thanks, I looked up the TRI Starsea and I started worrying(as you stated) about the output impedance of my smartphone and laptop as I'm going to use them only with these.(dont have DAP,amp..) The same think is maybe going to be problem with THIEAUDIO Legacy 4 as they have similar impedance.

Dec 29, 2020 at 4:30 AM Post #8 of 12
Thanks, I looked up the TRI Starsea and I started worrying(as you stated) about the output impedance of my smartphone and laptop as I'm going to use them only with these.(dont have DAP,amp..) The same think is maybe going to be problem with THIEAUDIO Legacy 4 as they have similar impedance.

Nowadays some dongle dac/amps are very affordable and can give excellent sound. Like the tempotec sonata hd Pro, they go about $26ish. Excellent sound and measurements, no hiss, dark background and very low output impedance. Has volume controls too and doesn't get warm or use much battery from phones/laptops.

They make an excellent pairing with the Starsea. Only thing is they can't drive power hungry planars or very high impedance gear, but for 90+ % of iems it does an excellent job. I liked the sonata HD Pro so much I bought two!

Dec 29, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #9 of 12
Nowadays some dongle dac/amps are very affordable and can give excellent sound. Like the tempotec sonata hd Pro, they go about $26ish. Excellent sound and measurements, no hiss, dark background and very low output impedance. Has volume controls too and doesn't get warm or use much battery from phones/laptops.

They make an excellent pairing with the Starsea. Only thing is they can't drive power hungry planars or very high impedance gear, but for 90+ % of iems it does an excellent job. I liked the sonata HD Pro so much I bought two!
Thanks, will see how they sound directly from smartphone, etc. And maybe then will look for some DAC. Will keep in mind your recommendation of Tempotec Sonata HD Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back