Versatile Full-Sized Cans
Apr 6, 2007 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Aar0n

100+ Head-Fier
I'm planning to get my first set of full-sized cans soon, but I have a few criteria that I need met, and I was looking for suggestions.
1. Versatile. They'd be used for listening to music (mostly metal), playing video games, and occasionally for TV and movies.
2. Not needing a TON of amplification. I'm considering getting a TotalBitHead or a TotalAirHead at some point, but if the cans demand a lot more, I'm not terribly interested.
3. If they're open, they shouldn't sound like I'm listening through a sieve. To be honest, I kind of prefer closed cans, but I know that open is where all the real sound quality is.
4. Price range is approximately $100-$200.
5. Fun, musical sound curve. Something like the Vibes. Nice crisp highs, but with a strong, warm bass to tie things together.
6. They have to best my friend's Bose TriPorts. I know that's not hard, but it needs to happen, just to bug him.
lambda.gif

If something satisfies most, but not all of these, post it anyways. I'm open to all kinds of suggestions.

Apr 6, 2007 at 4:57 PM Post #2 of 21
Sounds like the sennheiser 595 is for you if you like versatility and (realatively) easy to drive phones. They sound good with games and tv and movies and don't sound like you're listening through a sieve. I don't really understand your analogy, but they do sound really good. Of course they sound better w/an amp - especially in the bass. They will easily best your buddy's triports. My mom has a pair and I've A/B'd them.

Unfortunately, they are probably not the best choice for metal unless you have an amp. Good unamped metal phones are the grado sr225 (very 'fun'sounding at the expense of listening fatigue) and the audio technica a900 or the alessandro ms1. If you are gonna add an amp, then you might consider the beyer dt880 and the dt990 (although out of your price range). That said, I think the 595 still sounds really good straight out of a computer - even in comparision to my grado sr60.

so if you want versatility then get the 595, if you want butt kicking metal get the 225. Also consider the a900 and ms1. If you are confused, just get the 595 - its a very inoffensive and politically correct phone!

good luck

Apr 6, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #4 of 21
Actually the Grado SR225 might be too open.. it's as open as you can get.

If not the SR225, then the Goldring DR150 seems like a great choice.

Apr 6, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #5 of 21
I looked at the Goldring's page, and it looks pretty nice. The only thing that concerns me is the headband. The design looks a little weird, like it wouldn't fit right if my head was too small. Also, how much, if any, amplification does it need to shine?
EDIT: After reading some reviews on the DR150, I'm starting to like them. They're supposed to have a nice "warm" sound quality, with plenty of bass and nice detailed highs. The detachable cable is also a plus.

Apr 6, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #6 of 21
well, last I checked the 595 was ~150 at amazon; seems they've gone up to their usual 200 now. Looks like you might be better off w/the goldrings. I haven't heard them, but they're supposed to be pretty good. you still might consider the a900, it's a closed can.

The goldrings are 32 ohm, so they will be easier driven (assuming they also have a high sensitivity) than a 595 (50 ohm) out of an ipod or the like. Grados sound great out of an ipod and they're 32 ohm.

Apr 6, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #8 of 21
DR150's would be a good choice IMHO. Out of all my headphones I would say they are the most versatile.

Had to work today and knew it would be quiet given it is Good Friday so I took my DR150's into work and plugged them straight into the headphone out on my work notebook and I was pleasantly surprised. They sounded pretty good indeed.

I watched movies and listened to tunes and I have used them for gaming before. You name it and they can do it to a good standard.

Quite a forward presentation, bass has good substance and agility, and the highs are nice and clear without becoming fatiguing.

Great all rounders for the money. I had forgotten how good they are.

Apr 6, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #9 of 21
Well...I'm confused. You want something for metal yet you want a set for video games/movies. These two crietrias are not friends.

I'd get two pairs, one for your music (like the SR125), and get something like the HD485 for your movies/games. If you want ONE can go with the AKG K240. They are somewhere in-between those two cans--they just won't top those two if you were to use them in that way.

And almost anything in this price range should top a Bose Triport.

Apr 6, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #10 of 21
This is broken record time for me, but you might like the Equation RP-21.

Apr 7, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #11 of 21
From this thread, the SR125s sound like a real trooper. I'll consider putting an order in for them in the next week or two. Also, how much would I benefit from a BitHead or AirHead? Would it be more worth it to get something more powerful? I wouldn't want to spend much more than $150 on my amp.

Apr 7, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aar0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From this thread, the SR125s sound like a real trooper. I'll consider putting an order in for them in the next week or two. Also, how much would I benefit from a BitHead or AirHead? Would it be more worth it to get something more powerful? I wouldn't want to spend much more than $150 on my amp.

For movies they are not.

Apr 7, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #13 of 21
I should probably revise my original post. Movies are something I'd possibly try with them, but more often than not, it'd be music, games, and VoIP. But... Why would they be bad for movies? No soundstage?

Apr 7, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Quote:

I should probably revise my original post. Movies are something I'd possibly try with them, but more often than not, it'd be music, games, and VoIP. But... Why would they be bad for movies? No soundstage?

They are pretty mediocre for games as well. Not enough bass. But most of your music would benefit from the SR125. If that's the main thing you are buying them for, you'd be well off with them, and maybe getting a can that does well with games/movies (like the Sennheiser HD485) later on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back