Verdi's Requiem- Similar Recommendations?
Apr 26, 2002 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

elipsis

500+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I just picked up a great recording of Verdi's Requiem, and was simply blown away. The dynamic range and low-end punch of this recording are just phenomenal. I now appreciate buying a subwoofer for stuff other than movies and drum & bass.

So I'm looking for other classical pieces that have a similar sound. Something that ranges from melancholy to apocalyptic.

Don't bother listing the obvious, like Beethoven's 9th or the 1812 overture, since I have them both
smily_headphones1.gif
. I want something that will blow me away, and push my system to its limits.

Apr 26, 2002 at 2:41 AM Post #3 of 16
Try Beethoven's Missa Solemnis or Prokofiev's Alexander Nevsky.

Ross

Apr 26, 2002 at 3:21 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by elipsis
Great, thanks. Those will be added to the "to get" list.

As far as Mahler goes, anyone heard this version?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...368553-9950313

The price is certainly right for 12 CD's, but how does it sound?

Bernstein and Mahler- aaahhh
smily_headphones1.gif
Although Bernstein later cycle with Deutsche Grammaphon (and various orch.) is the one to have, you can't go wrong with this earlier one (with NYPO).

Apr 26, 2002 at 12:53 PM Post #6 of 16
The mahler 2&8 symphony are logical choices, here are some recs:

mahler 8 - Solti/Decca legends, mid priced remastered sound

mahler 2 - Rattle/EMI, full price best combo sound/performance

mahler 2 - Klemperer/EMI Classics (great recordings of century),
mid price remastered with amazing sound for almost 40yr old recording.......did I mention Schwarzkopf vocals

Also you may just want to go with CD of Wagner overtures

BTW you never mentioned which version of Verdi Requim you have
-gardiner/phillips
-hickox/chandos
-shaw/telarc
-?

Apr 26, 2002 at 2:45 PM Post #7 of 16
How about some Stravinsky, the Firebird especially? It's not all blood and thunder though, there are some beautiful melodic bits, and then some really scarily loud bits immediately afterwards, which always makes for amusing concerts, as you watch people jump out of their seats!
biggrin.gif

Holst's Planet Suite is another great piece, written for large orchestra, and has those huge moments where you just know a subwoofer would let you hear those lovely organ notes properly...
HTH
Andrew

Apr 26, 2002 at 3:07 PM Post #8 of 16
What about Ravel's Bolero Talk about Dynamic range!

All of Rossini's overtures are pretty amazing as well. You can usually find well recorded compilations of Rossini.

I also second the Stravinski's Firebird and Holst's Planet suite.

Though not quite on the same par as those alredy mentioned, the Gladiator sountrack is pretty exciting.

cheers,

Apr 28, 2002 at 1:05 PM Post #10 of 16
Well all this talk of Verdi Requiem caused my buying impulse to kick in. I currently own the Gardiner/Phillips version and just purchased another:
Hickox/Chandos - single disc, 1996 release
plus
Mozart Requiem - Herreweghe/Harmonia Mundi

What versions do members here own?

Elipsis
You still haven't told us which Verdi Requiem you own?

Apr 28, 2002 at 3:08 PM Post #11 of 16
I think you may enjoy George Templeton Strong's

Symphony No. 2 in G Minor, Opus 50 "Sintram"

I am listening to a version performed by the Moscow Symphony Orchestra

John

Apr 29, 2002 at 12:22 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by DarkAngel
Well all this talk of Verdi Requiem caused my buying impulse to kick in. I currently own the Gardiner/Phillips version and just purchased another:
Hickox/Chandos - single disc, 1996 release
plus
Mozart Requiem - Herreweghe/Harmonia Mundi

What versions do members here own?

Elipsis
You still haven't told us which Verdi Requiem you own?

Sorry, don't get much of a chance to use the internet over the weekend.

The version I have is the EMI one. Double CD, live recording. Conducted by Claudio Abbado with the Berliner Philharmoniker and the Swedish Radio Chorus.

To be honest, I don't know if this is a "great" recording. I've only recently started to enjoy classical music. But cranked up loud on my living room system, it's amazing. You get so used to popular crud that's had the hell compressed out of its frequency and volume ranges so it sounds better on FM radio, you just don't realise what your system's capable of.

Apr 29, 2002 at 12:59 AM Post #13 of 16
Abbado has a newer live recording Requiem available on DG label done with the Vienna philharmonic and choir. Critics prefer this newer version and say sound is superior also, but I haven't heard either one to confirm.

So many choices, not only many fine conductors, but some like Abbado have more than one version recorded. Yes there is no doubt that good classical recordings have tremendous dynamic range and can be very powerful/exciting as well as convey the very subtlest of details.

Apr 29, 2002 at 4:04 AM Post #14 of 16
As for Mozart's Requiem, I own the Deutsche Gramophon (Karajan, Berlin Philarmonic) version from '62.

I'm not sure if it's a very good recording, but possibly not.
Haven't heard any other versions yet.
It was the cheapest version I could find back then, and I'm just a poor student....
wink.gif

Bye

Redwoood

Apr 29, 2002 at 5:13 PM Post #15 of 16
First you must hear the POLOVTSIAN DANCES by Borodin.. and make sure you get the version with chorus.. there's a version without chorus, and that's just ok, but not as exciting..

Then check out two marches by Sir William Walton called Crown Imperial and Orb & Sceptre.. both have plenty of sonic boom booms.. I'd check out Andre' Previn's recording on Telarc.

You might also want to investigate Shostokovich's Symphonies 5 and 8.. you can't go wrong with the versions by Mistislav Rostropovich on Teldec. The last movement of the 5th simply rocks..

The first piece that came to my mind was Mahler's 2nd.. but someone beat me to it! lol.. I might have to look into that Bernstein set of his first cycle.. the only one I'm really familiar with is his Mahler 3rd, and it's always been my favorite.. though Horenstein's is great too.. and Solti, and Levine, and.........

-jar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back