Verdict on DT770 32 ohm?
Apr 12, 2006 at 11:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

arto

100+ Head-Fier
I'm about to head over to Dr Meier's to buy some DT770s. Apart from issues with amping etc, is there a verdict (or even a strong opinion) on whether the 32 or (new) 250 ohm version sounds, you know, better?

Thanks

Apr 12, 2006 at 11:41 AM Post #2 of 9
Skylab got a pair, I think, and likes them a lot. I think they're on par with the 770-80, which is better than the 250.

Apr 12, 2006 at 12:00 PM Post #3 of 9
Is there not a general rule along the lines of: higher impedance = better sound (bass extension, fuller mids, controlled highs)? Pardon my ignorance, I rely on the accumulated wisdom of strangers (and strange Head-Fiers).

Apr 12, 2006 at 1:01 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by arto
Is there not a general rule along the lines of: higher impedance = better sound (bass extension, fuller mids, controlled highs)? Pardon my ignorance, I rely on the accumulated wisdom of strangers (and strange Head-Fiers).

You know, it totally ranges. Impedance does not always = better sound (my Grados sound better than my DT770s, but the Grados are 32 ohm vs 80 ohm). As well, lower impedance does not always = easy to drive (the K701 has lower impedance than the HD650, but the HD650 is MUCH easier to drive).

You'll really have to take it on a can by can basis, and find out about the specifc phones you're interested in.

Apr 12, 2006 at 1:21 PM Post #5 of 9
However, he's comparing low impedance to high impedance on the same can. Honestly, I think it just depends on what kind of amp you can afford right now. I'd think if you could find a big, beefy amp to drive the 600 ohms, which had good synergy with the headphones, then you'd probably enjoy that sound more than a weaker amp powering the 32 ohm version. This way you get a lot of the volume from the great sounding amp, as opposed to from the headphones. However, if you have an amp you're less pleased with due to price constraints (or of course, no amp at all), I think the 32 ohm would probably sound better. 250 ohm headphones, however, aren't so far out there as 600, so the difference may be smaller.

Apr 12, 2006 at 1:47 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
However, he's comparing low impedance to high impedance on the same can. Honestly, I think it just depends on what kind of amp you can afford right now. I'd think if you could find a big, beefy amp to drive the 600 ohms, which had good synergy with the headphones, then you'd probably enjoy that sound more than a weaker amp powering the 32 ohm version. This way you get a lot of the volume from the great sounding amp, as opposed to from the headphones. However, if you have an amp you're less pleased with due to price constraints (or of course, no amp at all), I think the 32 ohm would probably sound better. 250 ohm headphones, however, aren't so far out there as 600, so the difference may be smaller.

Good points, of course. Personally I'd advocate getting the 32 ohm version. I don't think the DT770 is really good enough to build an entire system around. I love my 770 (everyone probably knows that) but its flaws are QUITE apparent when directly compared with anything in the next price category. If it weren't for their flexibility (portable / gaming) I wouldn't use them. My amp is usually plugged into a better phone.

Apr 12, 2006 at 2:07 PM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for your replies ...

Normally I listen through Grados which use only a fraction of the available output volume on my Marantz CD player, so I've never needed an amp for volume. I want the sealed Dt770s to use with my computer, largely for music making but also to sometimes block out the damn noise (sounds like a laundromat in here). Don't know whether the output on my Echo Gina3G will drive 250 ohm cans at a decent level so I'm considering the 32 ohm models. My worry is sacrificing SQ in the process, hence the thread (to put my mind at ease ... or will it?).

Apr 12, 2006 at 2:10 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by arto
Thanks for your replies ...

Normally I listen through Grados which use only a fraction of the available output volume on my Marantz CD player, so I've never needed an amp for volume. I want the sealed Dt770s to use with my computer, largely for music making but also to sometimes block out the damn noise (sounds like a laundromat in here). Don't know whether the output on my Echo Gina3G will drive 250 ohm cans at a decent level so I'm considering the 32 ohm models. My worry is sacrificing SQ in the process, hence the thread (to put my mind at ease ... or will it?).

No, I don't think you're going to be sacrificing any sound quality. Skylab was pretty sure of that, AFAIK. I would get the 32 ohm versions.

As for an amp, it isn't about volume. Common misconception. It's about a clean constant signal and enough power to drive the headphones properly. Even my iPod can drive my HD650 to loud volumes (louder than I can listen to) but the presentation is quite weak.

Apr 12, 2006 at 4:29 PM Post #9 of 9
Btw, has anyone else noticed that, after years of inadequacy, the new DT990 is considered their top of the line can, over the DT880?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back