VERACITY DACs : do they sound as good as they look ?
Oct 2, 2016 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

bmichels

Headphoneus Supremus
Has someone listened or own a VERACITY DAC ?  

It is an English hand made tube based Dual-mono DAC with 2 separate internal circuits : one for PCM and one for DSD, with automatic switching... ! 

Oct 2, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #2 of 13
The idea behind those dacs is great.  We just need to verify how this translate in term of sound quality :

1. This is a dual DAC where the PCM is decoded by separate converters and stand-alone DSD playback is fulfilled without digital processing. These two DACs through direct connection share only the valve output stage on a 'one-at-a-time' basis. 
  2. DAC auto switches with incoming signal file format- directing DSD to DSD reconstruction filter or PCM to parallel PCM only DAC: This means that you can play your library of different format tracks in their native form, seamlessly and without software format processing, when you feel to do so. This dual DAC will adapt and switch to dedicated for PCM engine or DSD filter playback itself (in milliseconds) using analog signal relays. Very different approach when compared to `all-in-one`ΔΣ chips with transistor logic switching or devices which auto-convert music files from one format to another.
  3. A non-oversampling mode was designed to bring remarkable clarity and emotion to CD recordings and 16 bit/44.1kHz music files. This design effort was made to reveal full music potential of Red Book recordings.
  4. The DAC is upsampling free: i.e. the original sample rate of source PCM recording will not be changed (up-sampled). 
  5. Multibit hybrid DACs - instead of plain delta sigma or switched resistors a hybrid method has been chosen to bring the most realistic dynamics and boost low-level performance- PCM D/A conversion uses dual (for Mystra) and quad mono (for Chrysalis) architecture

Nov 18, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #3 of 13
Hi there i having just upgraded to the veracity dac from Gregors earlier creation. I have heard the veracity dac it in my system but have not taken delivery of it since I am abroad. Im hoping to get it for christmas when I return to he UK.
Its a faboulous dac very transparent and natural, I have had a few dacs and this is the one that does it for me. Also Gregor gives a very personal service which I value highly.

Nov 18, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #4 of 13
  Hi there i having just upgraded to the veracity dac from Gregors earlier creation. I have heard the veracity dac it in my system but have not taken delivery of it since I am abroad. Im hoping to get it for christmas when I return to he UK.
Its a faboulous dac very transparent and natural, I have had a few dacs and this is the one that does it for me. Also Gregor gives a very personal service which I value highly.

I am looking forward for your listening impressions of your new toy.  is it the Chrysalis or the Mystra version ? 

Nov 18, 2016 at 5:33 AM Post #5 of 13
Hi Its the Chrysalis.  I will keep you posted once i spend some time with it, and its run in in my system. Meanwhile if you need more info email Gregor he will be more then happy to help.

Nov 18, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #6 of 13
I have a Mystra dac and it's superb. (Before I had the Chord QBD76 and the Mystra dac is simply much better in every way). I see Hifi Choice Magazine have given the Mystra the gold 'Editor's Choice' and, whose review concludes with the following: 'If the Mystra were made by a major manufacturer, you could instantly double or treble the price.' Exactly.

Nov 18, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #7 of 13
  I have a Mystra dac and it's superb. (Before I had the Chord QBD76 and the Mystra dac is simply much better in every way). I see Hifi Choice Magazine have given the Mystra the gold 'Editor's Choice' and, whose review concludes with the following: 'If the Mystra were made by a major manufacturer, you could instantly double or treble the price.' Exactly.

The Chrysalis is more  expensive (and therefore supposed to be better ? ) than the Mystra, but I really prefer the industrial metal look of the Mystra than the Wooden look of the Chrysalis.  

- Is a metal enclosure possible for the Crysalys ? 
- Is the Chrysalis better that the Mystra in all aspect or just different ? 

Nov 18, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #8 of 13
From memory - I'm not sure - the Chrysalis has some added expensive components but it's arguably just different given the Mystra is already so good. You can ask for either type of front - I paid extra for a Chrysalis front for my Mystra, I.e. I have a Mahogany fascia.

Nov 18, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #9 of 13
I have a Chrysalis, and yes,  it does live up to the looks. I get the feeling of total immersion in the music - all music, to the extent that there is no awareness of listening to a 'source' ; The dac ceases to exist as a colouring element, allowing the amp / speaker / room (if we are really talking about 'high - end') to perform at their best.
My other dac (tda 1540, Luckit usb custom made) was previously the best rendering of pcm I had heard, regardless of price, but a month with the Veracity gradually revealed unheard micro - detail & the realization that little irritations (stressed vocals, ringing piano, etc.) were fewer or absent, but not just masked by lack of detail, because there appeared to be more clarity & space!  

My unit has a headphone jack, so could be used as a stand alone unit for those on a  tight budget or 'non - speaker constraints' (though I don't do headphones much so have no valid opinion from my old Sen. 540s. - perhaps someone with better headgear will comment later?). 
As I live relatively local to Veracity HQ., before making a decision I was able to listen to various set - ups & rooms without doing a pro forma order, so I can vouch for Gregor Szymczyk's customer support & micro business philosophy.
I heard the Mystra & Chrysalis at hifi wigwam with similar comments to those described above (many vinyl junkies were won over). 

I also read that Stereophile gave a favorable mention from the New York Show & the recent review in hifi choice - both seem to have the same impression that I have, but with differing gear & music taste, so using the Veracity as source seems to give a positive outcome when coupled with all high end gear.

Summary; With digital audio, dac & pcm are usually the weak link in the high end chain. Any Vinyl enthusiast will tell you that without a high quality source there is no music, The Veracity units appear to get this right. The specs & looks are impressive, but these units should be auditioned by people that really enjoy being totally involved in listening to music. 

Nov 20, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #10 of 13
  I have a Chrysalis, .....I also read that Stereophile gave a favorable mention from the New York Show & the recent review in hifi choice - both seem to have the same impression that I have, but with differing gear & music taste, so using the Veracity as source seems to give a positive outcome when coupled with all high end gear....

Please, do you have a link to the  hifi choice  review ? 

I just found this which is just a press release.

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #12 of 13
  , Veracity website has  https://veracityaudio.com/pages/what-people-have-said-about-gregors-dac.   Also all differences between Mystra & Chrysalis are listed thoroughly.

thanks a lot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back