Ventus EZ Help! (updated)
Mar 24, 2013 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 70

DutchGFX

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I have been wanting to build a DIY amp for a while. I am pretty skilled in soldering, but, I have never read a schematic before. If I had an actual parts list, and a step by step instruction manual, I could do it.

The Beta22 looks very complex, and very costly. I don't really want to spend too much on it.
I don't really know many DIY projects that I could do, that have a relatively easy to follow guide, so if you guys could help me out picking one, it would be fantastic! Thanks!

Mar 24, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #4 of 70
Well I have a Lyr, and I don't think that will be replaced anytime soon since I have a liar of He5Le coming in.

So, I think this will be for mostly high impedence cans like my 600Ohm Sextetts

Mar 24, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #5 of 70
(just saw your post about the akg's)
Does it have to be a diy project? why not just pickup a ibasso d-zero portable amp/dac for $110.

You didn't mention if you want a amp for headphones or speakers, a headphone amp is great if you have hard to drive headphones but most of the time unnecessary and will end up adding noise that gets amplified from the source.

Speaker amps can be a easy fun project to work on and i recommend going to radio shack. They have a few amp kits that are cheap and easy to build. Trying to build your own headphone amp that sounds good will end up costing plenty not just money but your time so why not start with a speaker amp.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12401124

Lots of interesting kits here 
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDrillDownView?isModiftHistory=true&langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&modifyType=1&uid=k22tt22q&history=k22tt22q%7CsubCategoryName~Education%2B%2526%2BHobby%2BKits%2B%252F%2BEducational%2BKits%2B%252F%2BAudio%5Ecategory~703005%5EcategoryName~cat_7030%5EprodPage~15%5Epage~SEARCH%252BNAV%40737bg8e6%7CrefineValue~JAMECO%2BKITPRO%5ErefineType~1%5Eposition~1%5Esub_attr_name~Manufacturer%5Erefine~1%5EprodPage~15%5Epage~SEARCH%252BNAV

Mar 24, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #6 of 70
I think I want to build the Twisted Pear Ventus. But gain, I don't know how to really read the schematic, and instructions aren't provided.

Mar 24, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #7 of 70
Also, I see that there is an IN+ and an IN-, I'm used to only 1 in for each side, and common/split grounds, max 4 conductors. Which one should be wired to the input from the source? For example, if I made it single ended, the Tip of the TRS. The input goes to which, and then the output jack's tip would be connected to the out, or the other in? I don't really understand that little section.

So like, it comes with 2 circuit boards (the kit does) I think, one for left, one for right. On each side, which should be the in, the ground, and the out, and the out ground? There are 2 grounds, and 2 ins, so I cannot tell which is which lol, and am just pretty damn confused haha

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #8 of 70
Also, I see that there is an IN+ and an IN-, I'm used to only 1 in for each side, and common/split grounds, max 4 conductors. Which one should be wired to the input from the source? [snip] There are 2 grounds, and 2 ins, so I cannot tell which is which lol, and am just pretty damn confused haha

My suggestion would be that if you don't understand issues like this that you start with something even more simple and build your knowledge. But the real question is why do you want to DIY an amplifier? Do you enjoy building things? Do you think it's going to be cheaper? What tools/skills do you already have? Start asking those questions before you worry about how to wire up the finished result.

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:11 AM Post #9 of 70
Quote:

My suggestion would be that if you don't understand issues like this that you start with something even more simple and build your knowledge. But the real question is why do you want to DIY an amplifier? Do you enjoy building things? Do you think it's going to be cheaper? What tools/skills do you already have? Start asking those questions before you worry about how to wire up the finished result.

I like building stuff, and I am pretty skilled at soldering. I modded my xbox, and some other stuff. I have a soldering iron, desoldering pump, glue gun, and all the neccessary tools for dealing with wire like a stripper and a cutter. The Ventus EZ kit is only $70, which is pretty cheap, but performance isn't really what i'm after, although this looks like it performs pretty well.

The kit comes with 2 boards, one for left, one for right. The only issue is, I don't know which wire going in and out goes where. I can figure out the schematic and etc using pics and what not. and it doesnt have too many parts so it doesn't seam to difficult. I THINK that I use the in+ for input, and the ground right next to it for input, then OUTPUT for the output+, and then the ground on the other side of output for the output ground. Is this correct?

Other than which wires going out and in, I think I ill be able to build this, I just need someone to tell me which goes where lol

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #10 of 70
So from what I can gather, from

Quote:
[size=17.5975px] Inverting amplifier[/size]
[size=12.9256px] Inverting configuration is used for single-ended in[/size]
[size=12.9256px] put signals and has a relatively low input impedance, which is dictated by the value of R4.[/size]
[size=12.9256px] G = R5 / R3[/size]
[size=12.9256px] Suggested values are between 1K and 10K for both R5 and R3.[/size]
[size=12.9256px] In this configuration, R2 and CC2 are omitted and R4 is a jumper (simply a wire shunt).[/size]
[size=12.9256px] CC3 is optional and only used if you want to filter the signal.[/size]
[size=12.9256px] Connect the SE input to -IN and GND. The output will be (G x Input) and opposite phase of the input (inverted).[/size]
[size=12.9256px] Using a very low value for R5 and a jumper for R3 allows you to use the Ventus as a single-ended I/V converter[/size]

On each board, the Input+ should be wired to IN-, and the Input- should be wired to GND. I assume both GNDs are the same, so I can just use the one next to IN-.
For the Output, I will wire the Output+ to OUT, and the Output- to the other GND. The IN+ on the amp should be left unwired on each board. Is this correct? That should be all the help I need :D Thanks so much!

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #11 of 70
I built and use the Ventus - with the Placid HD power supply.  I think it sounds great with either my Etymotic 4s or Sennheiser HD800.  Driven with a Schiit Bifrost DAC using RCA (2 wire) input.  The only thing I had to add was a stereo potentiometer to attenuate the signal between the DAC and the Ventus, or in layman's terms, a volume control.

The issue I think you are having is the input to the amp.  It will use normal 2 wire RCA inputs, or 3 wire balanced.  You can use either or both depending on your needs from the output of the preamp or DAC you are driving the Ventus with.

Cheers,
Frank

Mar 25, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #12 of 70
Yeah, I think I want single ended input, but really, it doesn't matter. It will connect via 2 RCA cables for input. Where should the input wires connect (from the RCA jacks), and I guess I need to order 2 boards.

Mar 25, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #14 of 70
I went straight for a beta22 about a year ago as a first project, and it's only dragging on due to lack of money and wanting to do it properly. The instructions and support from AMB are amazing.

So I would probably suggest an AMB M3 as an inexpensive and high quality headphone amp.

Edit: ^ or as X says the CK2III, but the M3 would be my choice.

Mar 25, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #15 of 70
I already ordered the Ventus EZ kit, its just a matter of a few basic questions I have. I think I have it sorted out now, today during free period I was looking and it just hit me lol. I just need to know if all the resistors in the kit are good for the N/I setup, as the values change depending on Inverting or N/I.

And then the stupid question of how do I connect the Low Current Bipolar Supply to the wall, as it doesn't appear that there is a wall wart in the kit lol.

And then just one more question, if I buy a volume Pot, where do I solder it too? does it come between the input jacks and the PCB?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back