[2021 Update] Venture Electronics (VE) Monk V2, Monk Plus & Monk Go: a $5 earbud that taking the world by storm!!!
Apr 9, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #6,996 of 7,442
Can anyone compare the Monk Plus with Philips SHE3800? I heard they have better balance and bass.

Monk plus has definitely better balance than SHE3800.

SHE3800 is warmer, bassier and has less treble presence than Monk plus.

Apr 9, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #6,997 of 7,442
FIVE DOLLLAH DOLLAH?
Well.... not quite 5 bones; more like, umm 12.99 + tax CDN on Amazon, so $15 give or take.
So $15 can get you a lot on the internet nowadays with all the free R&D on here and on the youtube Monster Machine

Listen, I HATE earbuds. I also HATE IEMs. I also HATE on ears. Over Ears, all day, everyday.
But this past week or so (give or take) I decided to take plunge to improve my audio knowledge. Not too far to the point where I start buying magic stones,
but just enough where I can enjoy IEM reviews (b/c audio reviews are funny as hell/ entertaining) and i'm missing out!
Well I'm still waiting on a few more, but so far the Sony Ex750, Fiio EX1, and Philips S2 have shown up. Along with this candy packaged VE MONK+

The Sony was much better than expected, but a bit off balance. With a bit of tinkering, there is potential. I got some comply on there,
and its decent. I'd say 7.5/10 decent. Its Hi-Res, so it beats most budget (excluding Chi-Fi) at your local store, and what your little siblings
buy so much of , b/c they last 2 months. BUT, the VE MONK+ > beats it. I think these originally were like $150 CDN, so for "FIVE DOLLAH DOLLAH" wink wink
and earbud, like what? But this is more for good music, you know, the acoustic, vocals, instruments etc etc. The Sony wins for modern music, bassy stuff,
hip hop etc. But the VE MONK naturalness, spaciousness, clairity, shocked me. I did not think and ear bud could do it. The sony is good for short sessions (30mins),
the VE MONK + can be worn for hours double padded. Like whaaaa?

Against the Fiio EX1/ (DUNU Titan 1), well it wasn't as close a fight. The Fiio EX1 sounds like my dt880/dt660 which tripped me out, because its an IEM. At times, i
actually thought i had the 880 on. @Hifihedgehog compared these to even superior cans in his dunu titan 1 review, but i cannot comment on that. @hawaiibadboy said it was a trip how close
it sounded to his ex1000 in his ve monk + review on youtube, though ofc the ex1000 is better and he could tell difference, but thats like a $500 IEM. Nonetheless, double
padding the VE MONK+ made it super comfy, and i don't know why but it sounded better to me than no cusion or single cushion. The weird part is if i was told to wear the
"FIVE DOLLAH DOLLAH" VE MONK + cause my Fiio EX1 disappeared into thin air, i wouldn't complain too much. Like whaaaa?

Against the Philips S2, it falls again, but again not fair IEM vs Earbud. The Philips is just better in all areas except maybe soundstage. But this is an IEM
some have put up against the Sony 7550 and ex1000 saying its like a balance between those two. Its neck and neck to me. Which makes the fact I can just pop on VE
MONK + and be happy with right music. Nonetheless, same thing. I could live with VE MONK+ just fine when resting headphone hot spots.

Besides an re400, frd80, kz ate, kz ed2 still waiting for comparing, i think my IEM R&D phase is over with. Besides possibly a gr09 acqusition down the line, this experiment resulted in good knowledge and im satisfied. If someone takes all my IEMS (and leaves my headphones), and only VE MONK +, i am A-OK.

***One more thing i hooked up VE MONK + to XTrempro m1 (450mw @16ohm) and even on high gain at 3 oclock, there is no hiss or odd behaviour. It is great! ***

So in conclusion, thank you Wild Lee and Mr KK? (sound engineer Chief)!!! I learned a lot with this ear bud. Pinch me, I must be dreaming :D The best part is its on Amazon and i don't need to wait
like 60 days from China shipping, because even tho its Chi-Fi transit route on the cheap, it still sucks waiting = mental pains :D

end rant.

Apr 9, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #6,999 of 7,442
Oh, I read on Reddit that the SHE3800 actually had better balance and bass.

Well you may believe whatever you want but my ears tell me otherwise.

SHE3800 does have more bass especially subbass but it's not as detailed and controlled as the Monk plus. The same goes for mids and treble. You can hear more mid and treble details on Monk plus. In short Monk plus is clearer and acts like an armature driver while SHE3800 is more like a dynamic driver.

Apr 10, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #7,001 of 7,442
I have the purple monk+. Is it just me or is it uncomfortable wearing them without the foam pads?

No I wear mine with the pads off too. It's a very BIG earbud. My ears begin to hurt if I listen to them for more than 30 minutes. This and the lack of isolation means their usability is very low. The sound is ok, nothing world crazy like so many people are talking about here. It needs to be heavily EQed for me. There is emphasis in certain frequencies. Size of the drivers is one reason they do sound better than the tiny in-ear buds so many are used to. That said, get the little more expensive in-ear buds by JVC, Panasonic, KZ, etc. and they'll offer significant improvement over these. Don't waste your time and money with them. It'll just be another extra pair of cheap buds that hang around in the house stuffed into a shoebox along with the others you got while flying, etc. However, if you want to spend no more than $5 on earbuds and you listen in the quiet of your own room, and you have larger ears, these won't go wrong for you. 

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #7,002 of 7,442
  No I wear mine with the pads off too. It's a very BIG earbud. My ears begin to hurt if I listen to them for more than 30 minutes. This and the lack of isolation means their usability is very low. The sound is ok, nothing world crazy like so many people are talking about here. It needs to be heavily EQed for me. There is emphasis in certain frequencies. Size of the drivers is one reason they do sound better than the tiny in-ear buds so many are used to. That said, get the little more expensive in-ear buds by JVC, Panasonic, KZ, etc. and they'll offer significant improvement over these. Don't waste your time and money with them. It'll just be another extra pair of cheap buds that hang around in the house stuffed into a shoebox along with the others you got while flying, etc. However, if you want to spend no more than $5 on earbuds and you listen in the quiet of your own room, and you have larger ears, these won't go wrong for you. 

What are the other ones that you are referring to that are better? I'm always up to try new things. Not for nothing though, if you can't get them to seat properly (as in they bother you after only 30 minutes)... can you really judge their sound? 

Apr 10, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #7,003 of 7,442

Isolation doesn't matter to me, as I don't use them when traveling so much but at home. IEMs to me are a world of microphonics and a closed in feeling, whereas when amped good ear buds (including the Monk+) can give you almost the sense you get when playing on speakers or through open headphones. IEMs are OK for traveling, but at home I'd prefer to use ear buds every time, although I ocassionally use over-ears or on-ears. Have a few KZ's (ATE, ZST, ZS3, ED9) and some more expensive (in relative terms) IEMs like the Tennmak Pro, **** 4-in-1, some Brainwavz etc. Given the option, I'd pick the Monk+ over any of them.

Apr 10, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #7,004 of 7,442
I'm not audiophile and the sound is good enough for me. I wanted to get these because I didn't like IEMs sticking deep into my ears. Only issue is that it hurts while putting them on and off, even with foam.

Apr 11, 2017 at 2:35 AM Post #7,005 of 7,442
I'm not audiophile and the sound is good enough for me. I wanted to get these because I didn't like IEMs sticking deep into my ears. Only issue is that it hurts while putting them on and off, even with foam.

They fit me fine & theyre great earbuds, but if you need something smaller it might be worth avoiding the ones like these and the TY earbuds which all have similar size shells. Good options include the Qian 39 and Yinman 150 which are both small and comfortable. It doesn't matter how good the sound is, if they're not comfortable for you, its going to be no fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back