Venture Electronics Megatron DAC/AMP
Nov 24, 2022 at 12:50 AM Post #62 of 80
Nov 24, 2022 at 2:18 AM Post #64 of 80
I love this thing BTW. It powers a lot more than you would think for running off a USB port. Even some cans. I was thinking of trying my custom 600 Ohm Beyers. That’s probably nuts though.
One thing to add is that like most strong usb-powered dongle, these things do not scale down in terms of output. They only have strong and super strong, so if your stuffs are remotely easy to drive, don’t bother. For instance, VE own Master 4.4 is crazy loud on macbook even with lowest volume.

Edit: for perspective: something like Topping G5 or Fiio M11+ can smoke megatron in terms of max output, but they can drive Andromeda easily with plenty volume left to reduce, at medium gain.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2022 at 5:17 AM Post #65 of 80
Megatron already has an amp built-in. However, if you need more power, you can use Megatron as pure DAC and connect it to another amp through the line out at the back.
thank you. please excuse my noobness, why can't i plug in it to my creative sbz? i only have german maestro 8.35d and it has same effect like creative sbz. if i plug in via usb then creative sbz is not needed, right? i also ordered jds atom.

Nov 28, 2022 at 7:36 AM Post #66 of 80
thank you. please excuse my noobness, why can't i plug in it to my creative sbz? i only have german maestro 8.35d and it has same effect like creative sbz. if i plug in via usb then creative sbz is not needed, right? i also ordered jds atom.
Your Creative Sound Blaster Z is also a DAC-Amp combo, so you have to pick either the Megatron or the SBZ to use. That means, yes, you no longer need the SBZ.
The JDS Atom Amp should be a pretty good pairing with the Megatron's line-out.

Jan 18, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #68 of 80
Just adding here. If you want to use Megatron with high sensitivity IEMs, you can just use impedance adapters as it doesn't come with gain controls (this is actually recommended by Lee in his Q&A about Megatron). I've been using it with 30Ω and 75Ω DUNU adapters and they lower the noise floor and I have wider volume range to play with.

On the other hand, I've been running Verum 1 and Hifiman Edition XS too with Megatron on balanced, very pleasant timbre and balance.
Hey do you think it’s worth it to upgrade to something in 200$ range from megatron for edition XS? I am using this combo and a few people have said to me to get something else megatron isn’t good for XS.

Jan 18, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #69 of 80
Hey do you think it’s worth it to upgrade to something in 200$ range from megatron for edition XS? I am using this combo and a few people have said to me to get something else megatron isn’t good for XS.
Heyyy guy from Facebook. I'm just gonna give you the same answer here: don't think about what people say, if it's good to your ears, it's good. It's a very subjective hobby.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #70 of 80
it's good to your ears, it's good.

Word. The best time to upgrade is when one's current setup doesn't deliver any longer. If it does, it should be enjoyed :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 28, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #71 of 80
hello friends,
i used ve megatron with atom amp+ some time, but at some point i wondered what happens if i eliminate megatron and connect atom amp+ to my desktop pc's headphone output. the result is, amazing! this route gave me better amplification than ve megatron. why is this happens? is my megatron is defected? should i switch to atom dac+?

Apr 2, 2023 at 3:40 AM Post #73 of 80
hello friends,
i used ve megatron with atom amp+ some time, but at some point i wondered what happens if i eliminate megatron and connect atom amp+ to my desktop pc's headphone output. the result is, amazing! this route gave me better amplification than ve megatron. why is this happens? is my megatron is defected? should i switch to atom dac+?

If by "better amplification" you mean that it gets louder that's most likely because using the headphone output to the Atom amp is actually double amplifying the signal so it will get significantly louder than when the amp is just being fed with the Megatron's 1.8V (IIRC from the published specs off the top of my head) signal from its line out.

Apr 2, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #74 of 80
If by "better amplification" you mean that it gets louder that's most likely because using the headphone output to the Atom amp is actually double amplifying the signal so it will get significantly louder than when the amp is just being fed with the Megatron's 1.8V (IIRC from the published specs off the top of my head) signal from its line out.
thank you. yes i've meant louder. i normally using megatron from usb >>> then connect amp+ from 3.5mm jack. should i switch to: pc >>> amp+ >>> megatron?

Apr 2, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #75 of 80
thank you. yes i've meant louder. i normally using megatron from usb >>> then connect amp+ from 3.5mm jack. should i switch to: pc >>> amp+ >>> megatron?

Nope, it doesn't work like that. You have it setup right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back