Dec 1, 2003 at 10:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Mike K

New Head-Fier
My mildly modified X Cans V2 seems to be running warmer than
usual, so I am considering drilling some ventillation holes top and
bottom. Has anyone done this?

The mods I have done are: (1) using 4500ma power supply in lieu
of 500 ma supplied power supply; (2) changed out all power
supply caps to Panasonic FC caps of similar value.

Dec 2, 2003 at 12:03 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by Mike K
My mildly modified X Cans V2 seems to be running warmer than
usual, so I am considering drilling some ventillation holes top and
bottom. Has anyone done this?

The mods I have done are: (1) using 4500ma power supply in lieu
of 500 ma supplied power supply; (2) changed out all power
supply caps to Panasonic FC caps of similar value.

yes.
attachment.php

Dec 2, 2003 at 12:36 AM Post #3 of 4
Mike, if you are using the Hosfelt adaptor then bin it. I recently tried a Hosfelt adaptor and it measured 16 V at no load :frowning2: I can't recommend them anymore as so many people have experienced problems with the Hosfelt / X-can combination.

A good quality 20VA toroidal will generally measure 13V at no load and come down to 12V under load. It's natural for your amp to heat up slightly more with a good diet of current but if it's getting "very" hot it means the transistors are overheating due to too much voltage.

For instance a 30VA toroidal at no load will output 14.1V once it's load of 30watts is consumed it will output 12V. The X-can runs on 1 watt maximum so the no load voltage of 14.1 V will probably convert to 13.6V under load.

According to MF's technical dept the V2 was designed to operate on 13.3V +/- 10% which means you are within tolerance with a load voltage of between 11.9V to 14.6V. Ideally you want to acheive 13.3V and this can best be acheived by employing a Nuvotem Talema 30Va / 12V AC toroidal.

Another good idea is to attach heatsinks to the the transistors and, instead of replacing the 1000uF caps with "audio grade" 1000uF caps............ replace the 1000uF's with 3000uF miniature caps. More "capacitance" in the power supply stage is better than physically "BIG" Audio grade caps......... brings about better bass and extension.

All will be revelealed at http://www.rock.grotto.co.uk by this time next week :)

Pinkie.

Dec 2, 2003 at 5:00 AM Post #4 of 4
Pink - thanks for the info about the Hosfelt and the pic of the
ventillation holes. I got the idea for the cap replacement from
you, and it was very worthwhile. I've also looked at your
outboard power supply and am thinking about that too,
esp. in light of what you say about the Hosfelt unit. I shall
check your website in a week or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back