VENI-VIDI-VICI! V-MODA's new IEMs - Zn (formerly Alto) + FORZA - Crowdsourcing, Reviews, Discussions Thread!
Nov 18, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #361 of 407
  upon hearing about these i asked our local headphone shop to look into them
...shortly afterwords, i got an email reply noting
that they're on their way from sunny california to our soggy shorelines and should arrive in a few days
as a new item...now that's good customer service and salesmanship  :)
(note: i did make mention of v moda's claim below, so i'm sure that piqued the store owner's interest, too)

must say, however, that v moda has alot to stand up against in their claim of these $189 iems being able to
compete against its peers in the $300-1000 range...we'll see.

**need some suggestions, please:
right now i'm just driving my sony xba h1 iems from my lg nexus 5  smartphone (2013 model)
...the volume is mid to 3/4 up...what amp or dac/amp would you suggest?..something i could also
use at home attached to my laptop, too...something versatile and can also run low and high impedence
cans (asking as for home I might buy the senns 650)...while out walking around /being portable will use primarily iems.
budget: 200-500...have heard some good things on brands like creative sound blaster, audioengine and fiio.
...but this whole matching up dac/dap/amp properly can be a bit much to a newbie.

bit out of your budget, but $600 chord mojo is pretty hard to beat, if you only need digital connections

Dec 10, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #363 of 407
@valkolton I recently ordered the 3-button version and was curios to why the volume buttons don't work with Android? What's the cause? Most in-ear headphones with volume control are compatible with both iOS and Android devices.

Dec 10, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #364 of 407
  @valkolton I recently ordered the 3-button version and was curios to why the volume buttons don't work with Android? What's the cause? Most in-ear headphones with volume control are compatible with both iOS and Android devices.

I find that to be untrue.  It all depends on the android device, but I've had about 50 android phones (yes I've got a problem) and I've yet to have a single 3 button headphone work w/ any of them.  You just got really lucky if that has happened to you.

Dec 10, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #365 of 407
3-button remotes do not work out of the box with Android devices. Only the middle button will work (same as one button remote). In order to get the other 2 buttons to work, you need to remap the keys -which is  not possible on all devices.

The 3-buttons not working with Android is a 100% expected occurance. This is similar to wired selfie sticks not working with most Android devices despite the box saying so.

Dec 10, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #366 of 407

3-button remotes do not work out of the box with Android devices. Only the middle button will work (same as one button remote). In order to get the other 2 buttons to work, you need to remap the keys -which is  not possible on all devices.

The 3-buttons not working with Android is a 100% expected occurance. This is similar to wired selfie sticks not working with most Android devices despite the box saying so.

it would depend on what his previous experience with in ears (if they are the ones that come stock with the smartphone, then it would make sense

like for example if he used a samsung s3 with the stock earphones and then moved to an lg g3 or lg optimus pro (they those come with in ears with functional 3 button remotes)

but those are intended for androids @DANIDJ , most 3 button remotes mentioned are usually associated with the idevices (at least colloquially) unless specified

i recall val mentioning that the 3 button remote cable works only for idevices and that the 1 button/single button would be better for android users

but the safe bet is to just get the 1 button version and you can use it on both platforms

or go remoteless 

Dec 11, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #367 of 407

I believe the root cause of the 3-button not working on android is the physical contact points when you plug into the cell phone they are different on android devices. I believe problem is that iPhone's are more popular so everyone will make their accessories iPhone compatable and not always support android because that costs more money. Also, I have heard apple has a patent on the 3-button remote but I am not sure about that.

Dec 11, 2015 at 12:08 AM Post #368 of 407
Say Val, can we hear anything about how the Forza's are coming along?

Just a heads up if you tag him in your comment I have noticed that he is quicker to reply.

@valkolton 

Do you happen to have any update on the Forza's or are they pretty secret still? 
We understand you are probably super busy with the holiday season and will the fairly recent unveiling of the
Crossfade Wireless and the Zn's but we are anxious for some more info.

Thank you in advance!

Dec 11, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #369 of 407
Okay, to make things a bit more clear, I'm using a LG G4. I have not received the headphones yet, but after looking at other posts I find that the majority of Zn owners with Android devices complain in regards to the volume controller not working. If it's true that it is based on the software and that the only way to get the other 2 buttons to work is that you need to remap the keys, then possibly this might work? Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kober.headset&hl=en
I would appreciate it if someone with an Android device could confirm this until mine arrive. It's not really the whole world if I can't use the volume buttons, but it would be more convenient.

Dec 11, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #370 of 407
  Okay, to make things a bit more clear, I'm using a LG G4. I have not received the headphones yet, but after looking at other posts I find that the majority of Zn owners with Android devices complain in regards to the volume controller not working. If it's true that it is based on the software and that the only way to get the other 2 buttons to work is that you need to remap the keys, then possibly this might work? Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kober.headset&hl=en
I would appreciate it if someone with an Android device could confirm this until mine arrive. It's not really the whole world if I can't use the volume buttons, but it would be more convenient.

this is straight from their website 

1. Microphone - All smartphones, tablets, and newer notebooks including Apple products, Samsung products, any devices running iOS, Android or Windows, anyAmazon Kindle or Blackberry

2. 3-Button Remote Version - iPhone 6S Plus, iPhone 6S, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C, iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPod Shuffle (3rd gen and newer), iPod touch (2nd gen and newer), iPod nano (4th gen and newer), 120gb iPod classic as well as MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iMac and Mac Pro (2009 and newer models)

3. - Sehttp://v-moda.com/zne more at: http://v-moda.com/zn#sthash.gtIjnfKV.dpuf

Dec 11, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #371 of 407

It is definitely a hardware problem not software. Just google it. I have a oneplus one and have looked and looked on this issue and the only way to get the volume buttons to work is to buy and android compatible headphone/iem. That is why sennheiser sells a galaxy(Samsung/android version) version of their newer iem's.

Edit:
Here are some sources I found on google that prove it is a hardware problem. So unfortunely if you have an android phone only the play/pause button will work.

Here are my resources:
http://lifehacker.com/5911435/modify-any-iphone-headset-remote-to-work-with-android-devices

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/2ttgl7/android_three_button_headset_controller/

Dec 11, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #372 of 407
Well that's a bummer... :/ Headphones should be universal. I might figure out a way to do it though since i'm in to IT. I'm thinking of a way that might possibly work without modifying the headphones (does still involve hardware that's required). Hopefully my method works. I will keep you guys posted if I get it to work.

Dec 13, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #373 of 407
I just pulled the trigger and ordered from Amazon.  I'm hard on headphones.  My last pair, JBL buds ordered with my Oneplus One developed a short at the plug end.  I love the design of the angled cord coming from the plug.  Along with a lot better sound than what I had, I should have a better warranty.  Is it correct that if I get a short somewhere in the first 2 years, these will be replaced, after that, they will be replaced with a %50 discount?  That sounds fair.

Dec 13, 2015 at 8:20 PM Post #375 of 407
  Will these make me hate mp3s?  I don't have "Golden ears" but I'm loving Google Music all access which I'm pretty sure delivers 320 mp3 quality.

It's already a pain in the a** to tell the difference between 320kbps MP3/256 kbps AAC and lossless...  So my answer would be no.  And even if you can, you end up "hearing" the compression algorithm used to compress the music.*

*Assumes you can hear it.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back