VENI-VIDI-VICI! V-MODA's new IEMs - Zn (formerly Alto) + FORZA - Crowdsourcing, Reviews, Discussions Thread!
Oct 11, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #46 of 407
Definitely Forza. The category of Alto represents a limited vocal range, I am not sure you want that connotation (limited). Forza is a...strong choice. As for box, it looks like it would be easier to get them out of the rectangle (which is still a hexagon in the other dimension) and start using them so that is my vote.

Oct 11, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #47 of 407
Translations:

Forza = Power, Force, strength in Italian (they yell at football games even like go team)

Alto = High, tall, upward in Italian (also like an Alto Sax).  There is also a city near Milano named Alta, it is near where Pellegrino water comes from.

Citta Alta Near Milano (Bergamo)

We are still open to any new name ideas too, but these two are great choices and both are related to music.  

Product
We have heard lots of feedback now at the show, I think we have a platinum hit with unit "R2D3" (audio tuning round 2 dev unit 3).

Package 
Right now the hex is winning the vote, but maybe we'll do one in rectangle and one in hex.  It is VERY interesting to hear the thoughts on the packaging.  

Stay tuned, I'll have more questions to vote on soon!

Oct 12, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #48 of 407
I think the hexagonal box should open off to the side instead of up, that would make it a bit less clumsy to handle. Also I think the names are great for both, short and to the point. Just my two cents though. I want something with the m-100 bass and soundstage but forward mids and crisp highs. Hoping for the best!

Oct 12, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #49 of 407
UPDATE - Saturday October 11th:

So, I did go back to listen to the Forza IEM with the larger tips that would seal with the IEM pushed in deeper into my ear canals, where the medium tips would lose the bass seal if I went for a deeper fit.  THIS DID MAKE A NOTICEABLE IMPROVEMENT in the treble and the slightly elevated shelf in the upper midrange.  Very Nice!  I enjoyed them even more today, and these will make a lot of people very happy when they are released.    

Oct 12, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #50 of 407
I'd be sold if these have CORDURA fabric.

Oct 12, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #54 of 407
If I saw the hexagon box on a store shelf I couldn't resist picking it up and saying "that's cool, what is this?" Great packaging!
Also I love Pellegrino water.

My thoughts exactly, eye catching design. Maybe triangle box for the alto? You dont see that often and its easy to pack and ship too

Oct 12, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #55 of 407
Absolutely love the pull out design in the rectangular package. Someone earlier brought up a good point in packaging that retailer may not want to put it with other products because it takes up a lot of horizontal space and I agree.

From a supply chain standpoint, you want to also have a package that doesn't create a lot of empty space when you ship it. They say that if you ask a supply chain guy to redesign the watermelon, it would be a perfect box. Empty space could always be used to fit more things. I know that forward thinking design is of more priority from a marketing standpoint, but the shipping costs of weirdly shaped boxes would add up over time. The rectangular box looks like it creates the lesser empty shipping space of the two so I would go for that.

As for the name, Alto sounds great. It gives me one of those petite but refined kinda feeling. Rather fitting for IEMs.

Oct 12, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #56 of 407
I mean it looks nice, but the packaging means nothing at all, especially if you're not sold in high-profile stores. Your entire basis is based off the sound. No one on Head-Fi is going to buy these or care about them based on the packaging if the sound is mediocre. 

You guys make competent headphones that people love. This comes off as a shallow marketing attempt to get people excited about your IEMs, when in reality people are going to be excited about them no matter what because you guys already make good headphones.

Oct 12, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #57 of 407
  I mean it looks nice, but the packaging means nothing at all, especially if you're not sold in high-profile stores. Your entire basis is based off the sound. No one on Head-Fi is going to buy these or care about them based on the packaging if the sound is mediocre. 

You guys make competent headphones that people love. This comes off as a shallow marketing attempt to get people excited about your IEMs, when in reality people are going to be excited about them no matter what because you guys already make good headphones.

Case in point. Besides, most of the time the packaging doesn't really matter, anyway -- although I would definitely keep the packaging of a fancy high-end can...
Now, let's just wait for the IEMs already.

Oct 13, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #60 of 407
Both options look a bit like luxurious packagings for bottles of liquor. I guess it is the handle. I think you should get rid of it. Definitely "Alto", everything else is named Forza these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back