Veggie's Marshmallow's review - the JVC FX33 ripped appart!
Dec 14, 2006 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Veggie_Musician

500+ Head-Fier
There has been much said recently about the new JVC FX33 marshmallows. Being vegetarian I avoid products with gelatine so have missed out on all the fun at campsite fires! However, I have gone against my beliefs to try these Marshmallows. I got my Liquorish (black) flavour for £15 at Curry’s here in the UK.

There’s nothing much in the box – the headphones with a pair of marshmallows and a spare set. The socket is the same type as you get on Sony EX and UE models so tip interchanging is possible in case you are hungry and eat your marshmallows or they become a sticky goo in your ears!

The build quality is good – they feel solidly made – but at same time feel cheep. The cables are thick and rubbery and of the Y variety rather than lame J. There’s a toggle on the cable to shorten the Y.

The JVC's have been burning in for last few days playing radio static and bassy music for hours on end in my sock draw!!!!

I have tested the JVC’s with a Zen Vision:M using Lame VBR files ranging from Basement Jaxx to Bach. One early note – the JVC’s do not respond well to EQ’ing – it is best to leave them “flat” or the sound just becomes congested! I find my UM2 and Sony’s adjust very well to eq’ing and you can change the sound to suit how you want it without any loss in quality!

Other Headphones tested in Review

Westone UM2’s
Sony EX90
Sony EX71
Sony MDR 931

Naturally, the EX90’s and the UM2 are in a different league to the JVC, so wont do too much comparisons so to be fair, so it will be down to the latter 2.

Sony EX71 v JVC FX33

The JVC’s are better - However, the Sony’s do seem to have more class about how they deliver music – there is more control and rhythm, but are let down by a very harsh treble – like having a tweeter in your ears – shhh ssss shhh - think of chewing silver foil when someone plays high brass or hits a cymbal! There is a more organic nature to the sound of the JVC – fuller mids, soft treble (but there still is a bit of the shhh sshhhh ssss sounds you get from the EX71s – just not as much). The bass is perhaps a bit boomier on the JVC’s.

The JVC’s are built better out of the two.

Sony MDR 931 v JVC

I’ve always thought the 931’s were much better than the EX71s, and at £15 - over half the price of the EX71’s… much better value. They are what I’d say a DARK sounding earphone. More bass and mids than treble. Treble still very much sparkling and detailed. They may not be canal phones, but included them in this review, as they are the same price. They cable on Sonys are one of the best Ive seen - they are nylon material covered. First impressions, the 931’s have a load more detail, everything opened up – no more cotton wool in my ears! The Sony’s are more even thru out the range and balanced. The bass goes deeper, but not as loud and there is more treble. One problem I found with JVC is there seems to be frequencies missing – imagine you have a 15band EQ and turn one or two of the bands to –12db’s …that’s the effect I get with JVCs – something aren’t quite right! With the Sony’s I get everything back again. The Sonys don’t have the shhh sss sound either which is nice, but the treble can be a bit nasal – but still more forward than the JVC’s. In classical music you can hear each string of a harp glissandi that you cant hear on the JVC’s. Both headphones can lose a bit of control in complex passages, but that’s to be expected for the price. The Sony seems to have more dynamic punch.

The JVC’s sound better with no Eq, but the Sony’s with a little eq’ing do sound better!

UM2, EX90’s v JVC

To be honest there’s no comparison – these big boys slaughter the JVC’s and boy do they do it with style!

Both the Sony and UM2 sound fantastic with everything you play – the JVC’s do not like complex music. Some stuff sound good – others terrible. Also there’s no dynamics, no rhythm, poor control – actually the JVC’s are not very musical earphones. Even compared to the 931’s the JVCs are canalphones with a cold! I can’t seem to get my foot tapping and enjoy myself.

Just a few words on the UM2 and EX90’s sound. The EX90s (modded) has a very forward, lively and extrovert sound. The treble is more apparent then the UM2s which seems dull in comparison. The EX90’s sound like 5 rows back in a concert hall, the UM2’s feel on stage! Both of them have bass that extends an octave lower than the cheaper ones.

The UM2’s are instantly more closed in than the Sony’s – very dry. The bass is gritty but never boomy – It’s by far the most controlled and rhythmic earphone I have – very musical – always my first choice! Sometimes I find the treble on the Sony’s a bit too cold and metallic – but they are never harsh like EX71’s. Both the UM2 and EX90’s are prized headphones in my collection.

Final words. The JVC are ok for the price (£15). They are neither great headphones nor poor ones. They are much better than Sony’s very poor EX71’s… even when they are modded. They are a great choice if you want something you can take out without worrying about getting stolen or an upgrade over stock buds. For a little more (£20-25) the PX100’s are loads better.

Rating ***/*****

Dec 14, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #2 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veggie_Musician /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are a great choice if you want something you can take out without worrying about getting stolen or an upgrade over stock buds. For a little more (£20-25) the PX100’s are loads better.

Rating ***/*****

that's a summary to you lazy readers out there.

great review!

Dec 14, 2006 at 11:18 PM Post #3 of 25
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 15, 2006 at 12:37 AM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Also there’s no dynamics, no rhythm, poor control – actually the JVC’s are not very musical earphones. Even compared to the 931’s the JVCs are canalphones with a cold! I can’t seem to get my foot tapping and enjoy myself.

Great review. I feel like they are musical phones, I get my feet or finger tapping for some tracks but with tracks with delicate bass or a lot of bass the music is overpowered and musicality is masked by the bass.

Jan 1, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by kite7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got the headphones recently and I very much agree with you on the sss shhh sss part, it makes my ears hurt over time

Give them about 250-300 hours burn in - the sss chhss sounds do soften a bit - but then the sound sig is so boring once burned in.

Jan 1, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #7 of 25
I pretty much agree with your findings. I found the FX33 is devoid of detail resolution during complex music passages. I dont think its the bass bloat overwhelming things too. Its just... a lack of detail. The highs are certainly there, they just are conjested. I also agree that they are a good headphone for $20 (US), but they are not really giant killers, unless you happen to prefer their kind of sound.

Jan 4, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

See they have dropped right down your list....

Why dont you buy some UM2's - I think you may like them!

Yeah I mean they are nice if you happen to like that presentation. At first they were a fun can..... but after a while I kept thinking about what was missing from the music.

I still have a blue pair, that have been modded. I actually like those more now than before. I replaced that paper filter with small pieces of KSC75 earpad cushion, and it sounds better to my ears, much brighter and better detail resolution.

Jan 4, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #12 of 25
I hope I don't sound stupid here....

JVC Marshmallow, I checked on the internet and it looks as if they are in-ear canalphones. Am I right about that? Edit: I did some more looking, and found a product page. For a minute there, I thought it was food. And..I give up trying to create 'strikeout text', *sigh*.

If so, for the OP, how do you know that a product has gelatin in it or not? I mean, for a product one would put in their ears kinda thing. I'm also vegetarian, but never really looked at gelatin in this instance.Edit #2: Ok, I reread the first few lines..a joke, ok that totally went over my head. I feel like an idiot now, but meh. At least others can read my post and laugh perhaps :p

Jan 4, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #13 of 25
yeah i bought them earlier today

i like them alot and they were pretty comfortable but my ears need to adjust to that style of headphone since its still a bit weird but they sound good out the plastic so hurrah

Jan 4, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJGeorgeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
UM2 is $300. Marshmallows are $20.

I am so bored of this thread.

Well dont reply then
wink.gif

Anyway you are the guy that wont Clingfilm mod his EX90 as he thinks its too risky! hahahaha

Actually if you where not too lazy and bored you would have read in my review...

"Naturally, the EX90’s and the UM2 are in a different league to the JVC, so wont do too much comparisons so to be fair,..."

Jan 4, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #15 of 25
is it just me or do you have to push the darn things really far into your ear to have a good seal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back