Veggie_Musicians Zen Vision:M full review!!
Feb 27, 2006 at 12:54 PM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by zip22
the ipod is a UMS device. the stock firmware and itunes make the music files hidden and use a database, which is why you can't drag and drop. the ipod shows up on any OS, which i don't think the vision:m does.

Since all OS'es aren't UMS device compliant (some need a a driver 95/98 for example) how does the iPod do that?

Feb 27, 2006 at 2:39 PM Post #18 of 26
Do you still need either the iPod driver? or to switch to drive mode though?

Personally I think theres needs to be more clarity in what people mean by drag and drop and UMS. Often people assume drag and drop means that you drag tracks in iTunes. Whereas for other people it means UMS & FileTree. Ditto UMS.

iPod 3G (drag and drop & ID3 tags)
iPod 5G (drag and drop UMS for data only & ID3 tags)
Creative Zen Micro (drag and drop UMS for music and data & ID3 tags)
Cowon (drag and drop UMS for music and data & filetree & ID3 tags)

Doesn't help that most reviews/advertisment for none filetree players usually stick "drag and drop" in the blurb as often as they can. Its become meaningless. Likewise UMS if it only supports data. It maybe technically correct but its misleading.

Feb 27, 2006 at 4:42 PM Post #19 of 26
i agree it is confusing, but i dont think the creative players are true UMS, they are MTP (microsoft transfer protocal?) which means they only show up in windows. you can designate a partition to be UMS, but it doesn't work for music.

you don't need the ipod driver or to switch to disk mode for osx or linux.

Feb 27, 2006 at 5:12 PM Post #20 of 26
Someone will need to do a lot of convincing to get me to believe that MTP will interfere at all with rockbox anymore than iTunes or anything else.

This is completely defeatable by firmware. Simply put there is NO issue from what I can see.

Further proof of this iRiver player firmwares supporting either:

http://sourceforge.net/docman/displa...group_id=69923

That said, I look forward to trying a rockbox firmware player sometime, but it needs to be well done and NOT degrade sound quality.

Feb 27, 2006 at 5:13 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

i agree it is confusing, but i dont think the creative players are true UMS, they are MTP (microsoft transfer protocal?) which means they only show up in windows. you can designate a partition to be UMS, but it doesn't work for music.

Oops yes. MTP only. I forgot since I use MediaMonkey.

Quote:

you don't need the ipod driver or to switch to disk mode for osx or linux.

But you do for XP? Thats weird...

Feb 27, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Spot
I'm not as technically inclined as Bangraman,(pie charts/frequency graphs etc..)

You'd be surprised. It's the very last thing I run when looking at a portable, mainly because I'm all too aware that measurements (especially with RMAA) doesn't quantify all you hear in the real world. And I only run it because sometimes it's easier to plaster up a graph than spend ages explaining myself. The ZV:M hasn't been near my test rig yet, and it won't be for another 2-3 weeks.

Feb 27, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

no, you don't.

What? Why did you leave XP out?
confused.gif

As Monty Python said..."...hes making it up as he goes along..."
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back