Veggie Girl Strikes Again!
Jan 21, 2005 at 7:29 PM Post #16 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
The worst franks are Ballpark brand franks by colonial. No flavor, loaded with fillers and injected with water (which makes them "plump" up) and only God or the devil knows where the meat comes from.

You are so right. Worst hot dog ever!

My favorite hot dogs are the Sabrett kind. They're a nice, long, italian hot dog loaded with flavor. Lots of garlic, juicy without being too fatty, you get the picture. I like them very much.

Those Hatfield ones are also decent.

I must admit I haven't had a HN in quite a long time, but I've heard they are excellent.

Jan 21, 2005 at 7:29 PM Post #17 of 61
There's a big gap between meatless "meat" which is really a meat substitute and vegetarian beans, which are a legitimate leguminous vegetable product. If you are trying to avoid meat, and for me that's the fastest, easiest way to lose 5 pounds in a week, just keep to legumes and whole grains with a little dairy thrown in for balance. I don't understand all of the people who want "meat substitutes" which are really awful tasting. But, as the French have said, "Chacun à son gout" or each to his own taste.

Jan 21, 2005 at 7:33 PM Post #18 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
You are so right. Worst hot dog ever!

My favorite hot dogs are the Sabrett kind. They're a nice, long, italian hot dog loaded with flavor. Lots of garlic, juicy without being too fatty, you get the picture. I like them very much.

Those Hatfield ones are also decent.

I must admit I haven't had a HN in quite a long time, but I've heard they are excellent.

Actually, Sabretts are a kosher style hot dog! They started in pushcarts in NYC with servings of sauerkraut or pickled onions heaped on top of them. Nowadays all of the carts are Hebrew National or some such thing. I would actually kill for a Sabrett right now!

From their FAQ: http://www.sabrett.com/faqs.cfm
Q: Are Sabrett Frankfurters Kosher?
A:No, they are not, but they are Kosher style.

Jan 21, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #19 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
There's a big gap between meatless "meat" which is really a meat substitute and vegetarian beans, which are a legitimate leguminous vegetable product. If you are trying to avoid meat, and for me that's the fastest, easiest way to lose 5 pounds in a week, just keep to legumes and whole grains with a little dairy thrown in for balance. I don't understand all of the people who want "meat substitutes" which are really awful tasting. But, as the French have said, "Chacun à son gout" or each to his own taste.

Um, have to disagree. I was a long term meat eater until about 6 years ago and now am (more or less) meat free. There are many meat-alike products that are (if not the last word in versimilitude) pretty damn palatable , certainly many more than 6 years ago
biggrin.gif
. Things like Quorn and to a lesser extent veat as well as Vegesteak (though hard to find) are quite nice in and of themselves. Also our local Wholefoods market does a very nice BBQ Tofu. I also like heinz vegetarian beans. There are many reasons to want to avoid eating meat, but that is another debate..............

Jan 21, 2005 at 8:06 PM Post #20 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Absorbine_Sr
That's not lard, that's the Queen Bean! All the rest are workers....

biggrin.gif

A_Sr.

Hahhaha, that really made my day. Sigh, to relive my demented childhood with Ren and Stimpy.

Anyway, I've always liked Vienna hotdogs myself.

Jan 21, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #23 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oink1
How can Baked Beans be anything but vegetarian?
confused.gif
Theyr'e just beans and tomato sauce
confused.gif

Actually, they can have fat, usually porkfat added. There is a school of thought that says that all beans need fat in order to balance the flavor, but I have not found this to be true. If you are making baked beans the most important thing to add is sugar (usually brown). Without sugar, the beans break down to mush during the cooking process. I don't know why sugar prevents this, but it does.

Jan 21, 2005 at 9:23 PM Post #24 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oink1
How can Baked Beans be anything but vegetarian?
confused.gif
Theyr'e just beans and tomato sauce
confused.gif

That's why I thought it was so funny
biggrin.gif

However, she has finally started loosing weight since she became "Veggie Girl", and is looking a lot better. In fact she's went the next step and became Vegan (no products from animals at all, no eggs, cheese, milk).

There's not a damm thing to eat at my house anymore, but the wife is looking good.
Talk about tradeoff's.

Jan 21, 2005 at 9:28 PM Post #25 of 61
LLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I've been reading and posting about beans too much - look what popped up in the ad box above - did you know it was targeted like this? Scary! NOT PHOTOSHOPPED!

BEANAD.jpg

PLEASE let me download that bad ass Heinz Baked Beans track - that rip is Hot!

Jan 21, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #26 of 61
I don't know why you got so lucky, Jahn! I only get ads for Bose quiet comfort 2 noise cancelling headphones, 2 other quietcomfort wannabe phones and an ad for sennheiser microphones sale. Baked bean ads would be such a welcome change from that!

Jan 21, 2005 at 9:51 PM Post #29 of 61
long live the beans! the funny thing is, this thread is the only one that hasnt confused the ad engine yet - everything else defaults to nasty Bose and senns and akg - even the watch thread!

edit - i kept refreshing the first page of the watch thread until ads for Rolex came up - it's working, Jim!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back