VDA-2 or Pico dac?
Jun 21, 2009 at 6:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Monago

100+ Head-Fier
I intend on buying a dac in the near future, and have been looking at these dac's fairly extensively as they seem to both be great value for their price point. Some even say the pico dac beats almost anything within the $1K range which is slightly hard to believe.

I'd like to know if anyone has any personal experience with either of these two dacs, and whether the pico is in fact THAT good; clearly beating the VDA-2. I'm looking to spend as little as possible, but will stretch for a VDA-2 if necessary.

Any thoughts? (All comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated
bigsmile_face.gif
)

Edit: I'll be running it through a Woo Audio 6 with the sophia princess and PDPS upgrade, along with hd650's.

Jun 21, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #2 of 17
If it's worth anything I happen to have the VDA-1/VAC-1 this weekend and while it's very good for the used prices it's available for, it's behind the Pico by most measurements. If the VDA-2 sounds anything similar (I know they have different chips so may not), I'd suspect the greater extension and cleaner sound of the Pico would mate better with the warmish WA6/HD650.

And if I was going to spend $599 for the VDA-2, I'd at least consider the PS Audio Digital Link III, currently on sale for $300 off at $699. And there's the Apogee Duet at $499, if you have a Mac with Firewire.

Jun 21, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #3 of 17
I had the VDA-2 and now own a different DAC and a Pico. The VDA-2 is definitely on the bright side of things, while the Pico (and other DAC) are much more balanced. That alone makes the Pico better in my eyes.

Jun 21, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #4 of 17
VDA-1/VAC-1 sounds muffled compared to the VDA-2/VAC-1, and lacks the clarity and extension of the VDA-2. Good to know that the Pico sounds better than the VDA-1.

I wish the Pico had another digital input besides USB. That is what held me back from getting one.

Jun 21, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #5 of 17
I've not heard the Pico DAC, so I can't comment on that.

As the main DAC in a home headphone rig, the VDA-2 with the optional power supply and optional balanced configuration is awfully nice, and presents a nice upgrade path. I'd have no issues what-so-ever recommending it, save that it has no USB input (this is easy enough to fix IMHO).

Jun 21, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fungi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The VDA-2 is definitely on the bright side of things...

Quote:

Originally Posted by socrates63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
VDA-1/VAC-1 sounds muffled compared to the VDA-2/VAC-1, and lacks the clarity and extension of the VDA-2.

Doesn't sound like the VDA-1 and VDA-2 sound much a like so best to ignore my above comments.

Jun 21, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #7 of 17
Thanks for the insights everyone!

blessingx, I was looking into the DLIII briefly, but my general impressions from reading around conclude that it sounds 'good', but MUCH better with the Cullen level III and IV mods. If I bought it, the 'what ifs' of this possible situation would drive me nuts, and I'd eventually want the upgrades. I want to avoid that if possible, and buy something that feels 'the best' for whatever money I invest. As for the duet, I unfortunately do not have a mac. I'd buy this dac immediately if I did. However, I appreciate the suggestions!

So as it stands, I'm currently leaning more toward the VDA-2. Although having a bit of portability would be preferred ie: the pico, ultimately sound quality is my main concern here. The source won't be moved often, so it's not a big issue.

As for synergy, the slightly forward, detailed sound of the VDA-2 seems like it would be a wonderful compliment to my warm amplification and headphone signatures. However, a neutral, slightly warm and detailed pico sounds like a rather wonderful match as well. Ugh...

So can anyone else argue a case for the pico? I'd like to *not* spend $770 on the VDA-2 if I can help it (including upgraded power supply).

Again, thanks for the comments everyone! Keep them coming!

Jun 22, 2009 at 2:42 AM Post #9 of 17
I've made a decision, and am going with the VDA-2. It came down to sound quality, and the pico simply does not hold a candle to the amount of favorable reviews I've been reading about this little dac. Also known to be a so-called "giant killer", it's been compared with dacs 2 and 3 times it's price while holding it's ground admirably, while in some cases outright beating the more expensive competition.

The upgraded power supply seems unnecessary at the moment, as Fungi noted that the difference was quite minimal. This was reinforced with some searching around. I might buy the VAC-1 sometime down the road, but the VDA-2 seems more than adequate for the time being.

Jun 22, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #10 of 17
Post your impressions when you get it! Did you get that used one on the forums?

Jun 22, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Monago /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also known to be a so-called "giant killer", it's been compared with dacs 2 and 3 times it's price while holding it's ground admirably, while in some cases outright beating the more expensive competition.

That means nothing to me, and it shouldn't mean anything to you, either.

Jun 22, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Monago /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've made a decision, and am going with the VDA-2. It came down to sound quality, and the pico simply does not hold a candle to the amount of favorable reviews I've been reading about this little dac. Also known to be a so-called "giant killer", it's been compared with dacs 2 and 3 times it's price while holding it's ground admirably, while in some cases outright beating the more expensive competition.

Is Beresford/Herandu/"DC Lee" shilling for CIA now?
confused_face(1).gif
I can spot his/their/its writing a mile away cause I can feel my fists clenching at the manipulative nonsense and sub-literate grammar

Jun 22, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #15 of 17
it's settled, the world class build and top quality "giant killer" ratings of the CIA show that it's the best bang for the buck. I'm buying one right now!

wow! That was fast, I clicked purchase and there was a knock at my door. You can't beat that. First sample track: Stacey Q's Two of Hearts.

I'm blown away. You can hear every single instrument plus some I've never heard before: the accordion, the harpsichord, and the flute. This is one amazing dac and they ship fast!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back